Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-22-2007, 06:38 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
It is hard for a lot of us right now it seems. Deb, you have my sympathy. I'm also a bit frustrated at the moment. A year ago, it was all about "so fun" and "so beautiful" and now it is all about "damn algae". We soldier on, and trust the best days are ahead, not behind.

Bev: Sounds like you've got a diatom issue (the brown slime). Good luck! If you're rearranging (removing and replacing) rock that often, is it possible you've given your wrasse a bump or a bruise? It'll probably forgive you soon.
That makes another one... I have been seriously contemplating shutting down my tank. The algae is non-stop and I can't keep up. I don't want to have to battle like this all the time. It seems if I spend 2 hours taking nothing but algae out of the tank, it's back ten times worse within a week. I'm doing everything right now, by the books.. and still...

It's extremely frustrating, and hell my tank is only 20g, so I can imagine the frustration with larger tanks. In the end, it's a love/hate thing... we love to see our reefs in their glory, looking amazing , and there's nothing you want to do but stare into your own slice of the ocean. Then there's the times when you avoid even looking at it because it's just a sight for sore eyes... ohhh the things that these glass boxes put us through.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:43 PM

adidas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to adidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB View Post
I don't think I've ever been this close to calling it quits after eight years in the hobby.

My FOWLR is a $*&$^%_) mess, we've been without any real circulation for so long, and the battle with the cyano and seeing the amount of detritus in there is giving me nightmares.

My 67g is finally my good growing SPS tank, and now I have flatworms, and aiptasia going nuts.

I'm tired. I'd like a holiday.

We don't have the tech knowledge we need to, and it doesn't seem there is anyone out there reliable enough to hire to solve our equipment maintenance problems. We buy things, like the mixing station from medican, but then we have no idea how to hook it up.

I'm frustrated, sick and tired.
i've got a bit of chemi-clean and flatworm exit here if you need a dose!
Old 02-22-2007, 07:13 PM

hawk is on a distinguished road

Maybe you do need a break. If and when you get back in you can design a system and make all the changes you wished you had done the first time around. You have been in the hobby long enough to know "why" your current problems exist as well as the solutions. Look at it as a chance to start fresh but with alot more knowledge. When I re-did my system, I knew what worked last time and made the changes to make things better. It was a long process but it definitely reinvigorated my interest.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:41 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Thank you all so much for your support and criticism.

Tony

I know what you mean. I have pics of my tanks the first few years in the hobby and when I look back at them, I wonder where all of this tech crap has really got me.

Ken

Your kind words and what I remember of your tanks is an inspiration.

Woodcarver

Thankyou and hope to see your new tank soon.

Bev

Both tanks are BB. I regulary kalk the aiptasia I can reach. Another tank teardown to get them all I just can't face right now. So I'll ignore them as Christy suggested to me today.

The flatworms are not that numerous, just mostly in a low flow area to I'll try to attack that and ignore them as well.

Stinky, harsh words but true. We haven't been doing water changes as frequently due to my husbands pre and post op problems with his ankle. I have spondolythesis (degenerative spinal condition) or I'd be all over a lot more than the tanks !

Christy, be glad you can't come visit. And having anyone come see that FOWLR right now would mortify me.

Everyone else

Thanks for your comments in this thread. We will work on getting the pump running again on the 230g this weekend. I'll order a vortech and step up the water changes. And ignore the aiptasia and flatworms for now.....

I looked at Trig and Spiffy today, and having two 8 yr old fish helped me decide to fight a little longer.

Last edited by EmilyB; 02-23-2007 at 02:44 AM. Reason: added
Old 02-23-2007, 03:02 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Hang in there. We all have our moments of clarity, thankfully the insanity comes back soon!

Having fish for 8 years is truly a good measure of something.

cheers
Old 02-23-2007, 04:11 AM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

I have noticed that my tanks seem to be cyclical. For a while they are looking great, things are growing, its well stocked, no problems. Then next thing you know, something turns sour and things start to die, recede, or a pest get out of control. Then you fight back; get it turned around until the next cycle starts.

Its quite discouraging to see things go bad, I know recently I had a mass of RTN on most of my sps. Seemed to be no real reason for it, but it has turned around now. Lost a few, the rest are regrowing, some quite well. Now I have a bit of nuisance algae coming back, so I need to stay vigilant on that. I don't think this hobby is ever easy, you can't really ever just relax and enjoy. That can lead to burn out, particularily with larger and or multiple tanks.

Just don't do anything rash, give the feelings time to settle, then make a plan of attack. Whatever you choose to do will be right for you.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:39 AM

Kronk is on a distinguished road

My advice, downgrade, keep the best of everything you have and put it in a nano. A 20g with sump or similar you can deck out the nano with TONS of equipment that will make it less maintenance intensive system with less cost and give yourself a break. Chances are you will get the bug again for a bigger tank in a couple years. But there are a lot of things to enjoy about a nano some people never upgrade. http://www.nano-reef.com

Cheers.
Ken
Old 02-23-2007, 05:21 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Hey Deb I can relate with your frustration, I was about ready to throw in the towel myself early last fall. I did a complete tear down and set-up over the Labour day weekend and now you'd never know. Then even after that I still continued to battle cyano & MEGA, & I mean MEGA hair algae for months. Just keep in mind that there has to be opposition in all things that are worthwhile. That is what makes them rewarding but on the other hand frustrating. If it was too easy and without challenges there wouldn't be any feelings of reward. Tackle the issues one by one and given a little time your tank will once again be a show piece that you can take pride in. If there is anything I can do to help out just let me know.

Greg
Old 02-23-2007, 06:01 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

No advice from me, just a heartfelt suggestion and hoping you learn from my mistake(s). I can't tell you how hard it is to take down a tank and get rid of everything when it just gets to be to much, then at least for me I find I miss it so much I start all over again and I make some of the same mistakes and some new ones.

Don't make my mistakes, If it were me I'd take it all down again and then I'd wish I didn't in a few months. I'd spend more money than I should and I'd kick myself for not keeping things. Christy had some good advice, really good and I'm going to write that down for the next time something goes wrong... One battle at a time, not one whole battle but smaller ones I can win, one at a time.

Make the right decision for you and I sure hope it works out.

Doug
Old 02-23-2007, 06:16 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Deb,

Glad to read that you're going to continue for now. Hope everything works out. If not, then I know you'll make the decision based on what's best for you & for your fishies. Hang in there.

Anthony