Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-11-2012, 02:45 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

So, the cycle appears to be doing what it is supposed to be doing now: more or less. Ammonia has fallen quite a bit (down to 0.5ppm on the API test this morning), Nitrites are through the roof (5+ on the API test), and Nitrates are 10-25ppm (ELOS test).

I have put in two small pieces of live rock from my other tank.

I tossed in a cube of frozen brine. I'm thinking that should probably reflect the amount of food I'll be adding on a daily basis: between the fish that will go in here and at least one CUC member who will need to be supplemented.

My little guy is insisting that he wants two clowns in there. "Nemo" must have another clown family member with him. I do really like the idea of the Clown and the Orchid Dotty, though.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:06 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

A pair of clowns would be cool if they paired up. You could get a robust coral with lots of tentacles that can do low light, like a Duncan, that could stand up to their tough love if they decide to host it (I had a clown host my sinularia and Duncan).
Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
A pair of clowns would be cool if they paired up. You could get a robust coral with lots of tentacles that can do low light, like a Duncan, that could stand up to their tough love if they decide to host it (I had a clown host my sinularia and Duncan).
I think a Duncan would be wonderful in that spot (I just Googled it). It think it is probably something I will be able to manage quite well, too. It should also do a good job of hiding my sloppy epoxy job (photo was taken before I got busy with the epoxy). It is a nice bonus if the clown(s) might take to it.

It looks like they might be on the challenging side to track down. Being an LPS I imagine they prefer a more established aquarium?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Duncans are one of the most hardy, easy to care for LPS. Give them light and flow and they could stand up to a nuclear blast. Not that hard to find either. Put out a call here on CR for a few heads and I'm sure someone in your area will have some. Wait a month or two for your tank to settle down a bit then you're good to go. I got a Duncan for my very first tank only a couple weeks after setting up and never had a problem.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Duncans are one of the most hardy, easy to care for LPS. Give them light and flow and they could stand up to a nuclear blast. Not that hard to find either. Put out a call here on CR for a few heads and I'm sure someone in your area will have some. Wait a month or two for your tank to settle down a bit then you're good to go. I got a Duncan for my very first tank only a couple weeks after setting up and never had a problem.
Thank you for your suggestions . . . that sounds like a very good plan
Old 04-12-2012, 01:52 AM

b16a2 is on a distinguished road

Enigma,

Great progress! Very ecouraging to see another AIO setup as I am a big fan of them aswell.
Curious though, how do you plan on having your filter chambers set up. I believe you have 3 in the back correct? Will you be running carbon? Skimmer?

Please continue to post pictures!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 5+
Natrates: 25 +

(I am adding a brine shrimp cube a day and dosing with bacteria)

I'm thinking a water change is in order, here. The last thing I want to do is crash the cycle again, and I'm really worried about the nitrites. My test only goes up to 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16a2 View Post
Enigma,

Great progress! Very ecouraging to see another AIO setup as I am a big fan of them aswell.
Curious though, how do you plan on having your filter chambers set up. I believe you have 3 in the back correct? Will you be running carbon? Skimmer?

Please continue to post pictures!
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the back yet. There are three chambers, but it is presently stock with a bag of Purigen stuffed in there (as of yesterday). My new pump arrived yesterday (Maxi-Jet 900) but I haven't installed it yet. I plan to get that done tonight.

It still looks pretty much the same and is cycling away. There are two live rocks in there for the time being (transfers from my 10 gallon). When something changes I'll add photos.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:01 PM

b16a2 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up for Maxi Jet upgrade! Probably the single best modification on these tanks.
If you get restless one day, another amazing mod is to remove the back plastic on the back of the center chamber and place a light on it. Then stuff your favorite macro back there. The center chamber has enough room and great flow to completely blow up your cheato or other macro. I had great results and it nulled my need for carbon.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:37 PM

*doing happy dance*

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10

I've done the pump upgrade and tossed in some Purigen.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:05 AM

misty s is on a distinguished road

silly question.... AIO means all in one?