Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-27-2009, 03:50 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

So do mp3 files play properly on a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound? Are they encoded with sufficient data to separate the signal into the 5 or 7 channels plus sub woofer or is it the software in the surround sound systems that work the magic? I know certain DVDs have specially encoded soundtracks to play properly on 5.1 or 7.1 surround systems and older ones have less sophisticated soundtracks. The better home theater systems will still mix/multiplex the signal and send sound to each speaker but the quality will suffer on 2 channel stereo encoded soundtracks. How do mp3 files compare to one of these DVD soundtracks? If I were to seriously consider limiting my system to an ipod with mp3 files, I would want to be certain they're going to sound proper on a multi channel system, not just two speakers and a sub.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:56 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Yeah, I have been using mostly Media Player for manageing my music, in particular ripping from store bought CDs. Is the quality of downloaded CDs, whether mp3 or WMA format the same as store bought?

I have a lot of purchased CDs to rip, which is where I would start first.

BTW: My wife bought us tickets to see the Hip in Penticton this summer. Who thought they would ever come here? Got me focused on updating my Hip collection.

Grant, I don't think I would have pegged you for a Hip fan. I'm sure that will be a great show.

As for the sound of the music from an ipod, I think you'll be fine as long as you rip it at a decent bit-rate.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
So do mp3 files play properly on a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound? Are they encoded with sufficient data to separate the signal into the 5 or 7 channels plus sub woofer or is it the software in the surround sound systems that work the magic? I know certain DVDs have specially encoded soundtracks to play properly on 5.1 or 7.1 surround systems and older ones have less sophisticated soundtracks. The better home theater systems will still mix/multiplex the signal and send sound to each speaker but the quality will suffer on 2 channel stereo encoded soundtracks. How do mp3 files compare to one of these DVD soundtracks? If I were to seriously consider limiting my system to an ipod with mp3 files, I would want to be certain they're going to sound proper on a multi channel system, not just two speakers and a sub.
The 2>5.1 or 2>7.1 is handled by the receiver the same way either fr a MP3 or CD or LP.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:33 PM

Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Grant, I don't think I would have pegged you for a Hip fan. I'm sure that will be a great show.

As for the sound of the music from an ipod, I think you'll be fine as long as you rip it at a decent bit-rate.
We will be seated in the old fart section. Too bad the show is on a Friday night. I am usually pretty beat by time Friday rolls around.

Thanks to everyone on your input.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:21 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
No, MP3's are not encoded for 5.1 Surround. Most Surround systems will "Fake" the surround. But at home, I switch my system to 7 channel Stereo, when I play music.

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 05-27-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
No, MP3's are not encoded for 5.1 Surround. Most Surround systems will "Fake" the surround. But at home, I switch my system to 7 channel Stereo, when I play music.
That's kind of what I figured and what I meant by the surround receiver mixing or multiplexing the simpler mp3 coding to make use of all speakers. "Fake" is a little more harsh, but apt, I suppose. For those who remember old 8 tracks or reel to reel tape machines, it was the tape that separated each track as mixed by the sound engineer. I'm not clear how this is done in the digital realm. Most reel to reel machines were two track, but my Dad had a Studer Revox that was a four track, more heads. The analog stereo receivers had to be fed the appropriate signal for each amplifier stage, in most cases stereo, i.e. two channels only L & R... no subwoofer even! I actually still have a Telefunken receiver which simulated 'quad' technology, quite avant garde in the late '70's. Not sure how that's mixed with analog technology, but the back of the receiver has DIN connectors for 4 speakers.

If I'm not mistaken, Imax films have their soundtrack encoded in up to 16 channels, all on a strip of the film itself. With the digital age, the capability is there to isolate each instrument, if you will, and send it to the speaker of your (or the receiver's) choice. Just not convinced that mp3 files have that level of sophistication. I don't think bitrate has anything to do with separating audio signals into different channels for distribution to individual speakers. The receiver has to do all the work there and if it's not encoded properly in the first place, I believe the sound quality will suffer.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:59 PM

Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Know a few people who detest iTunes and use Media Monkey for everything.
Thanks for the tip on Media Monkey. I will give that a test drive.

Obvious next question: Which iPod/mp3 players are people using?
Old 05-27-2009, 05:25 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

There are now mp3 files encoded for 5.1.
From Wired http://www.wired.com/entertainment/m.../2006/02/70230
If you have the storage room you can use one of the lossless codecs like mp4 SLS or FLAC for an identical copy of the original audio after decompression.
The newer receivers support lossless formats for audio.
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium
Old 05-27-2009, 07:14 PM

Cool, not too long and mp3 files will be obsolete as well.....
Old 05-27-2009, 07:25 PM

macky is on a distinguished road

As far as mp3 players go... I own 2 ipods, a Dell mp3 player and an Archos mp3 player. I personally hate itunes (required to put music on an ipod) and love the fact that with the 2 players I can just drag and drop file onto it. But, despite that con (itunes) the ipods sound way better that the other 2 players, even with the same exact files. I would recommend the ipod.