Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-11-2010, 07:59 PM

chris88 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, it is not fun trying to rescape with the corals in the tank i must have knocked the corals over a hundred times.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:19 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

LOVE the new look to the tank...sometimes out of a disaster you can end up with something really nice....and you did! LOVE the colony below your acro in the "favorite part of the new scape" pic...with the yellow skirts..that looks like a nice paly?

Old 10-12-2010, 04:33 AM

i think it's a zonthid colony and the centers are really nice which are not really shown in that pic. It almost has the ring look of a hornet zoanthid. It is just starting to spread now so in a month or two it will take over that rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaloupa View Post
LOVE the new look to the tank...sometimes out of a disaster you can end up with something really nice....and you did! LOVE the colony below your acro in the "favorite part of the new scape" pic...with the yellow skirts..that looks like a nice paly?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:33 AM

I have never tried this before but I was bored one night and I put the negative function on in the camera phone and tried to snap a few pictures. The pictures are not edited and I think they look really cool.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:52 AM

I just wanted to stir the pot a bit and say that i only use tap water for my reef. Is there anyone else who does use tap water with success or has tried it and it didn't work?
Old 10-14-2010, 01:59 AM

marcingo is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to say that Chris's tank does truly look better in real life(I've seen it). It is truly the cleanest tank I have ever seen and the corals are all incredibally colored.

As for the tap water thing I have always only used tap water in Edmonton and Fort McMurray and never had problems with anything. My corals have always loved it. I vouch for tap water as well.

Then again does the ocean use RO/DI water? Just kidding
Old 10-14-2010, 02:05 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

The ocean doesn't use an RO/DI but then again its trillions of times larger than our little ecosystems. What sort of TDS do you get out of tap water from Fort Mac Chris, I say if you are having success with it keep it as it is.

That being said Calgary's TDS and ravenous appetite for chlorine means I will keep adding the RO/DI to my tank.
Levi
Old 10-14-2010, 02:18 AM

I don't have a tds meter and i have looked all over for the municipalities web-site where they would post info on the water but i can't find it anywheres. I would use ro water if it were free or more convenient but my problem isn't to high of nutrients its to low. I am just curious if anyone else uses tap water or had a bad experiance with it.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:12 AM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

I have been running leduc tap water since last winter sometime, I was aerating and salivating in carbon/phosban in an acuaclear for the first while but that got donated to the gf so now its just straight tap. I would not call it failure but probably from how much time I used to work on the road i have a few problems. Increased water changes lately = slightly increased look.

I keep debating the RO/DI upgrade but its a wee bit behind in the spending list right now.

Sps are growing slowly and not brown but not coloured yet but I'm still trying to get them figured out. lps are growing and have OK colour.

Just curious since we have similar sized tanks but yours it taller. is that aquatic life fixture much brighter than the nova i got off of you? I think some of my sps are to close but have not ruled out other factors yet.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:47 PM

I like the aquaticlife fixture but in all hounesty i dont think its much if any at all brigther. It was almost double the price so i was expecting big things but i was let down buy the Par output. The one plus side i find over the nova extreme is that it has 4x1watt LEDS for nightime viewing and it has a built in digital timer. I have the same growth rates in sps with both fixtures. I did find a bit more color when i changed to KZ bulbs over the aqua science bulbs but i still would use aqua science bulbs in the future.