Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

After my AEFW incident, all new frags get a dip and a close inspection. You only want to go through AEFW once in a lifetime.

The eggs aren't so easy to spot. The coral needs to be air dried a bit, and they can be in some very tight spots; every nook and cranny has to be inspected, this is a very important part of the treatment.

Brad, if you end up with AEFW, unfortunately the only way to eliminate them will be to remove your corals for dipping. It took a long sleepless night before I resolved to do this. Fortunately for me my corals were little more than frags.

You may not have to remove all your corals if you act quickly, they seem to have their favorite pieces, my tri-color was especially tasty apparently. If there is no recession at the base it may be OK to leave them attached... and see how it goes.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Rob, the corals just don't come out without removing most of the rock. Some are encrusted to the rock over a 6" area. If it gets to that point, I'm done. There is no way I can remove all acropora tissue for multiple dips and place them back in tank.
This is still only a small possibility though, so we'll see what the year brings.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Just keep a close eye on them and be resolved to act quickly if need be. You may not have to remove all your corals if you can deal with their "favorite" before they spread. All infestations seemed to be characterized by base recession.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
You may not have to remove all your corals if you can deal with their "favorite" before they spread.
Yes, good point. If you catch it early enough there may only be a few corals affected since AEFW, like red bugs, always have favourite corals to munch on. Once you figure out their favourites you can continue to monitor those favourites in the future.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Awwww guys that so sucks! Just another reason I hate those damn acros.
I hope Brad you caught that frag in time.. And Wayne hopefully you can get them stopped!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:22 PM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkreef View Post
BLUE WORLD ON HILLSIDE HAS SOME GREEN WRASSES IN $21.00 THEY ARE SMALL, UNDER 2 INCHES AND WILL EAT YOUR FLATWORMS
GOOD LUCK I HOPE ALL GOES WELL
those will eat red planaria. Not sure if they eat AEFW
Old 02-19-2013, 06:11 PM

FragIt Dan is on a distinguished road

I have been doing some legwork on sourcing:
BAYER ADVANCED COMPLETE BRAND INSECT KILLER
in Canada. The active ingredients are:
1) Imidacloprid and
2) beta-Cyfluthrin.

1) Imidacloprid is the active ingredient found in many topical flea medications that are available in Canada such as Advantage II as well as crop pest control agents also available in Canada.

2) beta-Cyfluthrin is another common pest control agent and can be found with shipping available to Canada here. The MSDS for the linked product is here.

Were somebody suitably motivated, the information and sources above should enable you to recreate the Bayer product used successfully in the link Reefer Rob posted up about a dozen posts back. If you guys would like me to try to put it together I would be happy to put some more legwork in and get it together.

Failing that, I am happy to donate frags to either of you with no limits to quantity should the need arise.
Save the Reef, Buy a Frag!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I think at this point my only concern is future stock, so I'll be taking frags of everything, making sure they're clean and finding them a home. Other than that, I'll watch and wait. Hopefully it doesn't become a problem.

As for Wayne, he's tearing the tank down for a rebuild anyway, so that should allow him to more easily sort this out. Bet he's glad now that he didn't mount his corals like I told him to
Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the post Dan!

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragIt Dan View Post
I have been doing some legwork on sourcing:
BAYER ADVANCED COMPLETE BRAND INSECT KILLER
in Canada. The active ingredients are:
1) Imidacloprid and
2) beta-Cyfluthrin.

1) Imidacloprid is the active ingredient found in many topical flea medications that are available in Canada such as Advantage II as well as crop pest control agents also available in Canada.

2) beta-Cyfluthrin is another common pest control agent and can be found with shipping available to Canada here. The MSDS for the linked product is here.

Were somebody suitably motivated, the information and sources above should enable you to recreate the Bayer product used successfully in the link Reefer Rob posted up about a dozen posts back. If you guys would like me to try to put it together I would be happy to put some more legwork in and get it together.

Failing that, I am happy to donate frags to either of you with no limits to quantity should the need arise.
Dan, this would be an interesting project and could make you high in demand.
I am working on a rebuild so that may not be of a huge concern however my concern is will these flatworms lay eggs only on dead sps corals or will they lay eggs on rocks as well? If so is there another way to rid of them besides dipping the rocks or using insecticides?