Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-31-2010, 05:26 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

I'd check your probe calibration. Maybe your test kit is giving a false reading and your probe is calibrated to an incorrect set point. If your using a calibration solution, make sure that it is temperature adjusted. Clean the probe before calibrating, but let it readjust to the tank water for a day or so first.

Try testing a cup of water outside of the tank. Perhaps there is interference, from stray voltages or other probes.

I think with some controllers, the temperature probe acts as a ground. Try moving the Ph probe closer or further from the temp probe.

Take your test kit to a LFS and test their water. See if they get the same result with their probe or test kit. I had a similar problem and when I replaced my controller the new Ph measurements were much closer to where I wanted them to be. Lots of testing later, I decided it was accurate.

What you reay don't want to is to increase your Ph to 9.0 because your reading was out by .5

- Brad
Old 12-31-2010, 05:38 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Just a "for what it's worth" experience. I once found my pH was reading 7.6 or lower consistently. I panicked, and started trying to figure it out, tons of reading, a couple of discussions with Randy Holmes-Farley, testing at the LFS, etc. Realistically, if it was really 7.6 or lower, I should have seen my tank contents dissolving. I got new probes, new test kits, and kept getting low readings (I too was aggressive with my Ca reactor). I eventually solved my pH problem by throwing my meter over my back fence. That particualr tank went several more years successfully growing corals to the point I had to throw frags over the same back fence.

I think sometimes we worry too much about things we shouldn't...
Old 12-31-2010, 07:09 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

A low pH won't typically cause issues but the thing with corals is they can usually handle one or two issues without concern but add a third and you could be in trouble. Just like in the wild the increased amount of CO2 is lowering the pH but it's not until other factors including elevated temperatures are added that the reefs become really vulnerable.

So although a low pH isn't a huge concern it will make your reef more vulnerable if you experience temperature or lighting changes. It's also a pretty easy fix with Kalk which will also precipitate phosphate so a win, win situation. Just always remember to make changes slowly.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:21 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

I eventually solved my pH problem by throwing my meter over my back fence.

haha priceless and effective love it calibrate it right over the fence !!!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:27 PM

randallino is on a distinguished road

nlreefguy, FWIW I noticed this past week with a house full of guests (in laws ) and cooking that my ph dropped to 7.7 - 7.9 but dkh numbers where in 8-9's. But I soon as the house was aired out the ph came back up in the 8's.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:46 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallino View Post
nlreefguy, FWIW I noticed this past week with a house full of guests (in laws ) and cooking that my ph dropped to 7.7 - 7.9 but dkh numbers where in 8-9's. But I soon as the house was aired out the ph came back up in the 8's.
So while having company and cooking dinner you were testing your tank? That's dedication! HA HA!

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:58 AM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the advice guys, I started up the kalk reactor so we'll see what happens. I'll make a very gradual change to the pH. Every test kit I've ever used and the ones at the LFS as well were all showing my pH at 7.6 or thereabouts. I know it's not a huge cause for concern and I wouldn't worry about it at all normally but last week I dosed kalk by hand a few times and I just found that the corals seemed to really appreciate it. Was it the pH? I don't know, but I'm dosing kalk now anyway so whatever!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:06 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

I'm with Brad.. Consistancy is the key.. If your tank wants to be 7.6, let it.

I used to stress about mine.. Bumped it up every night just to see it back down in the morning. My corals started looking like poo from the constant change... So I quite checking. It's been prolly 2 years since I checked ph.. And things are doing well enough.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:02 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Just a "for what it's worth" experience. I once found my pH was reading 7.6 or lower consistently. I panicked, and started trying to figure it out, tons of reading, a couple of discussions with Randy Holmes-Farley, testing at the LFS, etc. Realistically, if it was really 7.6 or lower, I should have seen my tank contents dissolving. I got new probes, new test kits, and kept getting low readings (I too was aggressive with my Ca reactor). I eventually solved my pH problem by throwing my meter over my back fence. That particualr tank went several more years successfully growing corals to the point I had to throw frags over the same back fence.

I think sometimes we worry too much about things we shouldn't...
Excellent post. Couldn't agree more.

Personally, I think if you've done everything to try to raise pH naturally and none of that works there is no reason to push the problem.

One other thing to think about is the fact that organic breakdown creates different acids as by-products. These acids will affect pH as well, so preventing organic breakdown is another way to raise pH. The use of a good skimmer to remove organics before they breakdown, well designed flow to prevent detritus settling and breaking down, light stocking of fish to minimize fish poop and excess food, and possibly the use of a filter sock or floss media to catch suspended materials (changed at least twice weekly) are all good ways to prevent organic breakdown.

Usually nitrate and phosphate are signs of organic breakdown, but a well maintained tank will process these nutrients so you don't get a reading on your test kits.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:01 PM

Abe is on a distinguished road

Hmm I just had an idea, if a low PH is the cause of high CO2 from the house not being aired and such. If I add a small air pump to the sump let's say, do you guys think this will help to bring the PH up?.
230G, 3 X 250w MH , 4x 39w t5 , about 200lbs of LR, 2" of LS bed, 2 maroon clowns hosting a RLTA, 1 regal tang and 1 yellow tang, 1 blonde neso tang, 1 coral beauty, 2 scunk clowns hosting a GBTA, 1 midas blenny, and a mandarin gopy, 6 blue green chromis and 1 six line wrass.