Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-10-2011, 10:07 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

I started pellets back in June 2010. started with 500ml np pellets, 300gph through next reef reactor. it ran for a few day before I noticed some cyano out break. I kept it running for another month or two without messing with anything except putting in some extra biostart to kick it off, everything started to look good. as far as the testing is concerned. after 6 month I noticed the pellets went down about a third, so I added another 500ml. Same deal some cyano came back but within a few days it went away. I test my phosphate and my nirate very frequently, it is alway at zero. I know its kind of hard to believe, but I use hanna for my phosphate and elos for nirate. and just to make sure I got jl aquatics to test and confirmed my results. also I do run a little bit of rowa phos just to get rid of the rest of the phosphate since the np pellet will stop when all the nirate has been removed. if any one running a refugium than I wouldn't even suggest you running rowa phos.

key for success is to take your time and leave it alone for a while, not just a couple of days. every system is different so please test test test.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 02-11-2011, 12:25 AM

ottoman is on a distinguished road

Yes, they do, but at a different ratio. Just for example, they use up 5ppm Nitrates with only 1ppm Phosphates. I cannot remember the exact numbers. So if there is 0 nitrates, they cannot just reduce phosphates. That is what I understand from my reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGQ View Post
But dont the biopellets reduce Nitrates AND Phosphates?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:29 AM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road

anyone know why they say to soak the pellets in RO water overnight before adding it to the reactor?

i have 200ml in a TLF w/ maxijet1200 and wanting to add abit more. Is the idea to keep the same amount of pellets in the reactor as they get consumed?

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 02-11-2011, 01:42 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

David Schindler was lecturing in my class a couple weeks ago about eutrophication in lakes, excess nutrients, oil sands, and other such issues. Anyways... I pulled a slide here from the powerpoint he provided us (was one of the quickest ones i could find with some of the consumption ratios). I know its not exactly what you guy are looking for... but here the number suggests that for algaes and cyanobacterias. Gives you an idea of the consumption rates. (This indicates that most 'plants' or algaes (which are not true plants)) need at least 7:1 N:P ratios present. Obviously, cyano being a bacteria (though developed slighly differently than the bacteria we aim for in our reactors), will represent a 'somewhat' similar consumption rate. (also, since we are providing a 'carbon/food source' for bacteria that consumes excess nutrients... naturally this would benefit cyano, which is certainly probable cause for cyano outbreaks. Another reason why 'taking it slowly' would be important (so your 'good bacteria' get settled in/multiply before the cyano can take-off).

Anyways i'll shut up. Here is the slide:

Actually starting my pellet reactor in my system tonight. (its been running with R/O water in a pail for 5 days). My system is about 120gal... I bought 500ml, and am going to start with around 100-200.

Cheers,

Chris

(And obviously confirming the source is reliable... its David Schindler )