Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Natural progression. Freshwater in the 70,s.....saltwater fish only in the 80,s....reefing in the 90,s.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:49 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

What got me into SW, Hmmmmmmmmmmm well my mom was always in to Fresh water tanks every where i used to help her all the time.. never thoguht about it we got a puppy from this store and it didnt work out. so i got credit and said hey a 10 gal what the heck..
cleaned and water change every week went retarded keeping it clean.
so 10 to a 40,52, 135, all fresh then started SALT WATER 1st tank 120 then back to Fresh 280 gal its was a cover up then 280 SALT,75 ,62, 170, 120, now 150 and that is it.

until I move to our victorian home once I figure out where in the city to move it will be a 36x36x24 CUBE...
Old 03-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

When I was a kid my Dad was into freshwater. We had a huge basement and at one point we had over 30 tanks set up and running. It was my job to clean and catch the
babies. The latter was just sooo much fun. We then moved from North Van up to Whitehorse.....I left all my friend's on one condition, that I could set up a tank of my
own in my bedroom. We had one petstore in town and I loved going there. And at 16
I got my first job. And guess where..... I am still surprised my parents would even allow
it as I was A-1 in bring home stray aniamals. I even had a pet squirrel named, tiche
until my parent decided that it was not to cool for him to be running up and down my
mom's drapes~ Ha! Then after living in Hawaii for a couple of years, I thought it would
be cool to set up a saltwater tank. And the rest is well, history. It is such a wonder
to own these pieces of art. I just wish everyone could have the experience. I feel very
privledged as not everybody can afford to do this. Even through all the good and bad, I
can not believe what I have learned. How fortunate we are to be here. Opp's didn't
realize how much I wrote.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:59 PM

leezard is on a distinguished road

I watched "Finding Nemo".

*coughcough*

Ok, just kidding. Couldn't help it.

When I was little I wasn't allowed pets -- no puppy, no cat, no mice... we had a guinea pig for a little while, but one little fight with my sister and he was gone. That was the last of pets, despite my love for animals.

My dad just didn't want to spend the money on pets of any kind. One day, though, someone gave me this nifty bubblegum fish bowl and a betta. To my happiness, Dad let me keep it.

And he found a matching fishbowl for the other side of my head board! Awesome!

These guys were alive for about a year and my mother bought me a little 5 gallon fish tank. I never asked for help with any of these, and found out what I needed to do on my own. They were allowed to stay!

Fast forward five years, and I still had the tank and betta bowls. Granted, different fish, but they were still part of my life.

Fast forward another five years, I was living with my mom and my five gallon turned into a 10 gallon.

Fast forward ANOTHER five years, and the 10 gallon now held a gecko. Reptiles took over my life at this point, but I still had bettas.

Life got busy, reptiles abound, and when we moved to Wetaskiwin a year and a half ago, someone was selling her freshwater tank with all supplies for cheap, so I figured I'd give the fish community a try again. I had always admired salt water tanks, but knew little to nothing about them.

Last December a friend of mine was looking to give her 20 gallon saltwater tank away.

Here I am. Not much, but as much as I can have in the space we've got! I don't have the reef part of it, yet, but it's slowly building..... we need a light, first. And I'm still learning a whole lot, but I have the "one day" dream of a much, much larger saltwater fishtank.....

(So, really, Nemo had NOTHING to do with it. And Dave has named our percs "Bill and Ted" anyways, despite one of them being a female.... )

Last edited by leezard; 03-07-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezard View Post
I watched "Finding Nemo".

*coughcough*

Ok, just kidding. Couldn't help it.

When I was little I wasn't allowed pets -- no puppy, no cat, no mice... we had a guinea pig for a little while, but one little fight with my sister and he was gone. That was the last of pets, despite my love for animals.

My dad just didn't want to spend the money on pets of any kind. One day, though, someone gave me this nifty bubblegum fish bowl and a betta. To my happiness, Dad let me keep it.

And he found a matching fishbowl for the other side of my head board! Awesome!

These guys were alive for about a year and my mother bought me a little 5 gallon fish tank. I never asked for help with any of these, and found out what I needed to do on my own. They were allowed to stay!

Fast forward five years, and I still had the tank and betta bowls. Granted, different fish, but they were still part of my life.

Fast forward another five years, I was living with my mom and my five gallon turned into a 10 gallon.

Fast forward ANOTHER five years, and the 10 gallon now held a gecko. Reptiles took over my life at this point, but I still had bettas.

Life got busy, reptiles abound, and when we moved to Wetaskiwin a year and a half ago, someone was selling her freshwater tank with all supplies for cheap, so I figured I'd give the fish community a try again. I had always admired salt water tanks, but knew little to nothing about them.

Last December a friend of mine was looking to give her 20 gallon saltwater tank away.

Here I am. Not much, but as much as I can have in the space we've got! I don't have the reef part of it, yet, but it's slowly building..... we need a light, first. And I'm still learning a whole lot, but I have the "one day" dream of a much, much larger saltwater fishtank.....

(So, really, Nemo had NOTHING to do with it. And Dave has named our percs "Bill and Ted" anyways, despite one of them being a female.... )
Opp's hit the wrong button, Good time to admit I am blonde.
But I have never laughed harder then when I read the part about your sister,
the fight and the untimely departure of the guinea pig as a result.

I have a brother so I can truly relate, I am still laughing. My parent's were
not nearly as clever as your's. If they had only thought of that!
Old 03-07-2009, 04:13 PM

leezard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If they had only thought of that!
It was literally a small argument of whole was going to feed him first.....

until I tripped up the stairs and got a nose bleed, anyways.

(Yes. I STILL trip up the stairs. Shhhhh.)

Dad wasn't too fond of pets, though..... loves them now, and will play with all of mine whenever he comes over.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:04 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

By some unusual course of events I ended up at a friend's cousin's house 3 cities over... lo and behold he had a very amazing 55 gallon reef setup.
Seeing a reef tank in person was the bug that bit me .. so it was fate!
Old 03-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Banned

Still laughing! And I won't tell anyone about the stair tripping if you don't!
I guess my parent's thought if I was bringing home stray's, I was far to busy to do
or try other stuff. So when my daughter wanted Discus and 5 mice I said sure honey.
She is growing up! ~ Not I, maybe tommorrow.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:18 PM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Still laughing! And I won't tell anyone about the stair tripping if you don't!
I guess my parent's thought if I was bringing home stray's, I was far to busy to do
or try other stuff. So when my daughter wanted Discus and 5 mice I said sure honey.
She is growing up! ~ Not I, maybe tommorrow.
Discus and mice? I know mice can swim and all but still, what an odd combo, carefull who you tell this too there is another member getting ripped right now for putting cichlids into saltwater.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Banned

OOPS! I forgot how clear you need to be here! LOL
She had the fish in a tank. And the mice in a home of their own, which reminds me of the
mice I had as a kid. I promised my parents they were brother and sister and could not
have babies!!!!