Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-29-2010, 03:57 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by karazy View Post
in my opinion it was a good idea, but they could have done waaay more with it. in my eyes right now all it is really is a huge half jailbroken ipod touch
Exactly...

No SD card slot for pics/video (need a usb adapter), no camera, can't multi-task, doesn't support Flash..

It does what it can do well, but it can't do much more than an iPod/iTouch/Laptop. Not better anyways, and that's what Steve Jobs said this Tablet had to do.. but it just DOESN'T!

EDIT: I am patiently waiting for the Iphone 4G, a product that will be great, supports multi-task, face side camera for video calling, etc..

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988

Last edited by JDigital; 01-29-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:26 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

As a flash developer I'm DYING to see Flash FINALLY make it's way to these damn things. The Google Android should trigger everyone to play catchup...I hope.

You can't multi-task with these? Dammit Steve...
Old 01-29-2010, 04:53 AM

robert is on a distinguished road

In my eyes, my 180gal tank is just huge jailbroken 5gal Nano, and I love it

Yes, I'll get iPad.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:52 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I will be in line for one. Yes, it is not a laptop and it is not an iPhone, but I don't think it is trying to be either. I have a laptop and an iPhone and I often wished that my laptop was lighter and easier to lug around and often wish that my iPhone was bigger and had more real estate. The iPad is clearly targeted at me Lots of people wish it was so much more than what it is. Don't get me wrong, I wish that it could make dinner for me and wash my car too! All those other features would be great but you can't please everyone, you can't have your cake and eat it. It isn't a revolutionary device but it does have its uses. I imagine one day university students will be toting this guys around instead of a backpack full of heavy textbooks, and business people reading these on the train to work instead of newspapers, doctors lugging these around with access to records and xrays instead of those clipboards.

Regarding the whole no multitasking and no flash thingy, if I had to guess, I would guess that Apple has a team of engineers trying to come up with a way to achieve these things without sacrificing too much of the other things they believe in, like battery power for one. Both of those can drain the battery significantly and I for one appreciate the batter life out of my iPhone at the cost of multitasking. However, I do agree that on a device like the iPad you really do *need* multitasking. Listening to music while typing up a report in iWorks.. duh! Again, I hope that apple is just trying to engineer a way to allow multitasking in a more sane manner than typical implementations.

In the end iPad 1.0 is Apples way of testing the waters I think; making sure there is a market for it and seeing where those markets are. iPad 2.0 will be much more WOW I'm sure.

Last edited by kien; 01-29-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:07 AM

VFX is on a distinguished road
Default Note - not exactly family viewing!

iFlow?

Old 01-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

test.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:49 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
. It isn't a revolutionary device but it does have its uses.
Funny, I could have swore Steve Jobs said it was Revolutionary. Other than leaving it around the house as a digital photo frame and picking it up when I wanna quickly search something, I don't see the advantages of lugging it around wherever I go, when I could just pull out an iphone and answer the same emails, check the same websites, etc. Any business person in their right mind would put a Powerpoint presentation together on their work computer/laptop, why bother having to transfer it over to this thing when you could just toss the laptop in a bag and go?

Plus, it's too big to fit in your pocket or on your hip, so that means you gotta lug it around in a laptop bag (or man purse) and if I'm gonna do carry a "satchel" I might as well have my laptop with me. I suppose that would give you a place to put all your different USB adapters since it doesn't come with any type of card slots. Jobs made such a big deal about photos and video, yet you can't even toss a Memory card in? (without an adapter) Lame!

I certainly don't see Doctors walking around with a MaxIpad in the near future. Most businesses don't even run Mac/OSX for corporate. To damn expensive. Can't see Healthcare getting on board.

It doesn't do anything better than a laptop can really. Just a Large Itouch.

V1 certainly isn't the one I would be looking at... While watching the Key Note presentation it did some cool things, but it was definitely disappointing.

** I am an Apple fan BTW... and I still think this is a waste of money.. especially $500USD.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 01-29-2010, 08:14 AM

Oh and I'll be definitely getting the 3G 64gb version! Not enough wifi hot spots in the city :-(
Old 01-29-2010, 04:49 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

I think people don't quite get the strategy yet as I don't think Apple has it all put together just yet. I think there is alot more to come in terms of content. I believe you will see every newspaper and magazine being offered on the iPad. The publishing industry is struggling with newspapers closing down all over the world. I'm one of those reasons. I can't remember the last time I bothered looking at a major newspaper and rarely buy magazines anymore. But if I could download them to a device and read them at my leisure (or even carry around dozens easily) I would be more likely to pay for that. Especially if they are more weblike and come enhanced with interactive content and video etc. I think that part of the story is yet to unfold.

As a student, imagine having all your big heavy text books on it and just carry one 1.5 pound device around that has your books, in full colour and also possibly with video content, and is also your note pad for lectures. I would have jumped on that when I was in school.

As a professional, I would consider this when it is time to replace my MacBook Pro. Far easier to carry around and it will do everything I need when mobile and then I can get a better more powerful desktop for the more intense work like photoshop etc. at the office. I think it is fantastic for presentations as Keynote has built in highlighters and laser pointer functionality you use on the touch screen. Plug it into a projector and then use your finger on the touch screen as a laser pointer.

As for multitasking, I think that will come in OS 4.0. BTW, your iPhone/iPod Touch do multitask a bit. You can listen to your music from the iPod application while doing other work. I think the major problems with multitasking are twofold: 1. Having multiple applications running at once will severely decrease battery life and then you will have your users complaining about the battery only lasting 3 or 4 hours. So it's a no-win situation there and the lesser evil is to have good battery life as the majority of users don't really need the device to multitask. How many of you iPhone/iPod Touch owners really truly are put out by not having multitasking? The only thing I can think of that would be better is for applications to be protected when a call comes in so you can go back to what you were doing when you took the call as some applications quit when you answer the phone. Other than that , nada, don't need multitasking. 2. RAM memory. The iPhone doesn't have alot of actual RAM memory for running programs and you would quickly run out of memeory having more than two applications running at once. I know that Apple did do some work with using the flash storage memory as virtual RAM but from my understanding that can cause its own problems too.

So I guess what I am saying is that although it maybe didn't live up to the hype (but what could considering the rumours and level of hype out there) it is a revolutionary device that will change the way people interact with computers and also make portable computing easier, more convenient and more enjoyable. Apple does really think about the way we interact with computers and I guarantee you this will be light years ahead of any stupid tablet running Windows7. Touch interfaces are more intuitive and are the future and Apple does it better than anybody else right now. Very young children can use my iPhone after a very short learning period so that tells you something. I may not get an iPad in the near future but as I said, when the relatively new laptop is due for replacement an iPad will likely be what replaces it.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
** I am an Apple fan BTW... and I still think this is a waste of money.. especially $500USD.
Ya, if you can't find a use for something it is a complete waste of money. If you can find a use for something then it is worth whatever you're willing to pay for it. One man's junk is another mans treasure as they say ? :-)