Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-18-2007, 07:46 PM

andsoitgoes is on a distinguished road

I did - I used the 3rd ground hole on the plug to test it. I would get readings that would barely show up when having the meter set to 10V, putting it to 50 would show even less, and then nothing at 250.

The floor under the carpet in that area is straight on plywood.

So is that a GOOD thing that I'm completing the circuit? Should I just stop messing around and leave my gimpy hands out of the tank?

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the direction the electrictal wiring runs, or maybe something got a bit damp under my breeding setup that's in front of the "wet spot"?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:12 PM

Static is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Static

are you testing for alternating current or direct current? ac or dc on your voltmeter. Any stray voltage will likely be alternating current.

I'm guessing that you were testing for dc, because if there was enough voltage there for you to feel a zap it would likely show up more significantly on your voltmeter. Also if it is simply induced voltage, like the article you posted suggested then it will be ac.

if you haven't already, then try testing for ac, both at the ground on the wall, and maybe the wet spot on the floor. If you get a reading, unplug your equipment 1 piece at a time to find the faulty piece.

And maybe where rubber soled shoes while you're testing.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:16 PM

andsoitgoes is on a distinguished road

It's AC, trust me

ANd I can't reach the wet spot on the floor, unless I'm using myself as part of the circuit.

I've unplugged everything, and put it back in once at a time, testing before and after - the SECOND I plug anything in, I get some minor current.

Again - the zap is happening only on the areas I have open cuts on (i was doing work outside and cut the heck out of my fingers)

When I hold the ground with the + in the tank, and stand on the wet spot - It shows on the voltmeter, but a VERY small amount.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:51 PM

Static is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Static

I don't have any other ideas for you except maybe wearing rubber gloves when you have open cuts and need to put your hands in your tank. Electricity or not it's probably a good idea.....

good luck

myles