Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-16-2015, 03:57 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

I do notice certain corals fluoresce different when my TV LED's are on or off.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:20 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Have you considered a couple of 10 watt multi-chip LEDs? My DIY fixture consists of 3 rails of them in various colour temperatures. A 12 volt power supply on a timer & simple dimmer, you're good to go. I also added some LED strips to supplement the 10 watters. I have a couple of UV spectrum 10 watt multi chips as well (395-405 nm) but haven't installed them. I find the Royal Blues provide plenty of flourescence.

Since someone has already linked to auction site, here's another.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2pcs-10W-10-W...item35d3330698

The strips are available in 5 meter spools from offshore vendors for very low price, but you need to plan ahead due to shipping time.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:28 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I don't find UV helps with aesthetics much, at least not in particular.

EDIT: I just looked at what comes stock in the RSM 130, and it looks like it has PCs??? In that case, I'd suggest you go for a ReefBrite Blue strip. Those are the bomb for aesthetics.
I did out in the op that I was working with pc's...no need for you to have to look it up.

WhAt is the spectrum of the reefbrites?
Old 04-16-2015, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Have you considered a couple of 10 watt multi-chip LEDs? My DIY fixture consists of 3 rails of them in various colour temperatures. A 12 volt power supply on a timer & simple dimmer, you're good to go. I also added some LED strips to supplement the 10 watters. I have a couple of UV spectrum 10 watt multi chips as well (395-405 nm) but haven't installed them. I find the Royal Blues provide plenty of flourescence.

Since someone has already linked to auction site, here's another.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2pcs-10W-10-W...item35d3330698

The strips are available in 5 meter spools from offshore vendors for very low price, but you need to plan ahead due to shipping time.
I think for my tank, 3 watt LEDs will be plenty.

And to clarify, not looking for true uv, just some supplementation in the 400-430nm range...which we all know not only looms pretty, but actually offers the most efficien, usable light spectrum for coral.

Looking at a diy from rapid led that will have 2 x Cree royal blue and 4 violet semi led.

About 100 bucks all in.

Myka, i am looking into the reefbrites.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:07 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
I did out in the op that I was working with pc's...no need for you to have to look it up.

WhAt is the spectrum of the reefbrites?
Go look it up.

They only come in blue, white, or blue and white. Some people call the blues "actinic". I haven't actually looked up the spectrum, all I know is they make corals fluoresce like mad.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:46 AM

Ok, so not UV, not needed for growth, only visual appeal/black light fluorescence? Here are some pics of my sad 77 gallon tank a few years ago when I added 2 rows of RGB SMD5050 water proof LED strips to the multi chip build. I recently replaced them with SMD5630 cool white strips since the RGBs were a bit finicky. Fun to play around with, but tended to drift in colour when in the "white" mode which is what I primarily used them for to supplement the 10 watters. They come on 5 meter reels & with the IR remote control pad you can play around with all sorts of colour combos. They can be cut to size, plenty of options for coverage. I used aluminum angle bars to mount them.

Blue, made my modest collection of LPS & montis glow nicely.

Purple, achieved by the IR controller mixing the RGB's intensity.

Red, just for a change up, supposedly good for night viewing of your nocturnal critters.

For < $30, you could probably get a 5 meter reel of blue spectrum waterproof SMD 5050 LEDs, with power supply & possibly a remote or dimmer. Cut to size as many lengths as you need for your tank & lots left over to do up a room with your old black light posters from the '70s. There are clip type patch cables to link the strips together after you cut them, no soldering required.....although I've found the clips to be a little finicky too, so soldering is probably better in the long run.

Last edited by mike31154; 04-17-2015 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Go look it up.

They only come in blue, white, or blue and white. Some people call the blues "actinic". I haven't actually looked up the spectrum, all I know is they make corals fluoresce like mad.
Lol.
So reefbrites are out.

Those strip lights actually look pretty decent.
I see steves led offers one similar.

That was a very helpful post mike.

Thank you.

Though why was your tank sad?
Old 04-17-2015, 03:03 PM

I call my sumpless tank sad since it's nowhere near as nice a set up as many featured here on this fine forum. Not big on difficult to keep sps. I love it as a hobby, but my 77 Hagen will never be a candidate for TOTM. An upgrade to custom peninsula with basement sump has been planned for many years now, but I have other hobbies & home renos eating up $$$s.

Hard to go wrong with this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5630-SMD-300L...item1c512a7f96
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5-20m-3528-50...item4ad8da46e8

Even if they don't work out for you, you'll only be out a few bucks & they can be used elsewhere. Various versions of these have been around in local stores for some time now. I have no doubt they all come from the same country, but local vendors & distributors take a huge mark up.

Last edited by mike31154; 04-17-2015 at 03:12 PM.