Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-21-2007, 11:50 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road
Smile I have Nitrate - yeah!!

Yes... I have Nitrate at a level of at least 10ppm. Isn't that wonderful?!! Yes, it means that my cycle has completed. I'll double check on ammonia/nitrite tomorrow, but I don't think I'll find any.

Two loads of Live Rock, some fish and I'll have the start of a decent aquarium instead of just a big construction project...and...well...a bit of a nitrate hangover...
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436

Last edited by untamed; 03-21-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:05 AM

I got tired of removing the skimmer cup every time it got full....so I put this little modification on yesterday. A little 1/4 inch line with a valve on the end so that whenever the cup looks a little full, I can drain it without shutting down the skimmer.

I'll put one other bulkhead in as an emergency overflow. Emergency overflow will just fall back into the tank. If the cup gets too full, the skimmer starts percolating like a coffee maker.

400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 03-23-2007, 02:11 AM

Norstar is on a distinguished road

Brilliant!!!
Old 03-24-2007, 02:24 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Sorry Brad finally took my OM appart. Been busy helping people move entire stores full of Photo labs

Here is my Modified drum
Old 03-24-2007, 04:04 AM

Yes, I can see the difference in that drum. Paul should make that a standard issue. I suppose mine will eventually wear out and I'll have Paul make my new ones with the "McKenzie Mod".

Old 03-28-2007, 03:40 AM

Default Nothings good enough until you've modified it.

(**UPDATE**) The following mod was later removed from the filter screens because it clogged up nearly every day. Once the tank sand settled, there proved to be no need for these filters in any case. (**UPDATE**)

Here is the result of my DIY solution to preventing sand from going in the intakes of my CLs. I wanted to achieve 3 things:

1) Not make anything that was too ugly
2) Increase the surface area of the intake so as to reduce suction and make the intakes generally safer for critters and fish
3) Prevent sand from getting through

Here's the result. Original intake screen on the left, new modified screen on the right. Now...if only I could find black coarse foam.

I'll post more detailed photos on the DIY thread if anyone wants to see exactly how these were made. Here's the link to that thread:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...136#post243136

Last edited by untamed; 02-20-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:12 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Oh My GOSH, it looks so amazing. What more can I say, amazing.

Doug
Old 04-01-2007, 10:42 PM

I think that I can now say that I actually have an aquarium. Still no fish, but yesterday was a significant one. Another run to Seattle and I have my first load of real, aquacultured Live rock.

This is about 1/2 of the rock that I will need overall. I haven't done any kind of aquascaping...just get the rocks into the tank so they can recover from the trip.

Here's what the tank looks like as of a few minutes ago. Even with the rocks just laying around the bottom, the tank depth makes it quite visually interesting already. The tall gorgonians help out a lot.

Here's a closer shot of one of the rocks. It has a 20"+ coral growing on it. I think it is a gorgonian of some kind.

Here's a close up of that branching coral pictured above. Can anyone identify what this is?

Here's another shot of another interesting rock. This one has about 15 good sized gorgonians (purple w/white, cream w/gold). They have had polyps extended since the moment they went into the tank. I need to do some research on care/feeding of gorgonians....

Finally, identified hitch-hikers included about a dozon large crabs, countless starfish, 1 large hermit and about 6 small ones, at least 3 pistol shrimp, and this porcelin crab. No mantis were seen, but they are being heard!

Last edited by untamed; 04-01-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:46 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

wow, yeah Id say you officially have an aquarium all right! im curious about that gorgonian too... very pretty.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:25 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Tamed that is looking really awesome man. now you want to get a picture of the misses in the tank NOW!!!!!!!!