Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-20-2010, 10:10 AM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcha0s View Post
Just curious... What is your theory on why you are seeing 0 nitrate. In your tank, what is consuming it?
My theory is bacteria is converting the nitrate into nitrogen... or maybe the start of an algae bloom? Either way it's all good
Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteve23 View Post
its really starting to come together.. how much longer u figure before ull be able to start stocking it?
I almost got a fish yesterday... I will be stocking it with my first batch of fish as soon as my LFS puts in a new fish order. (I still may add a fish or two early...)
Old 08-20-2010, 12:53 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
My theory is bacteria is converting the nitrate into nitrogen... or maybe the start of an algae bloom? Either way it's all good
Yes, but it's not quite so simple. If it were that easy, we would all have 0 nitrate in our tanks. Are you talking about Anaerobic bacteria and if so, where are they in your system?

My curiosity is sincere. The 0 nitrate reading surprises me. I know what "should" be happening, but can't explain where your nitrate consumers are finding a suitable anaerobic enviroment to thrive in.

Last edited by abcha0s; 08-20-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:02 PM

delo978 is on a distinguished road

It's the water in Courtenay/Comox I tell ya I have never had nitrate in my tank either, not even through the cycle and that was months ago.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, but it's not quite so simple. If it were that easy, we would all have 0 nitrate in our tanks. Are you talking about Anaerobic bacteria and if so, where are they in your system?

My curiosity is sincere. The 0 nitrate reading surprises me. I know what "should" be happening, but can't explain where your nitrate consumers are finding a suitable anaerobic environment to thrive in.
I have a DSB the homemade rocks and some special plumbing
Old 08-21-2010, 01:35 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:

My curiosity is sincere. The 0 nitrate reading surprises me. I know what "should" be happening, but can't explain where your nitrate consumers are finding a suitable anaerobic enviroment to thrive in.
I had zero nitrate when I started my tank also. don't forget he had his rock int he ocean for a while which trurned it into fresh live rock, so he has a large bacteria count to start off with. my case and several others were all the same. fresh live rock into a tank and you get a instant cycle. I put a ton of shrimp and junk in to mine and never ever saw amonia, nitrates or nitrites

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:35 AM

Well I couldn't wait... I got my first fish today

What? you can't see any fish?... neither can I so lets zoom in... I can see one in the picture below... but you need to know where to look.

Lets zoom in a little more... I think everyone should be able to see one in this picture.

And zoom one more time for a nice close up shot.

If you look really close you can see two fish... it's like wheres Waldo

Another picture of my two first fish.

My best picture I have ever take of a solo fish... today was my first day photographing fish...

Last edited by Greenmaster; 08-22-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:11 AM

meenamjah is on a distinguished road

poor fella must be so lonely in there.. lol
Old 08-22-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meenamjah View Post
poor fella must be so lonely in there.. lol
There are two... I believe it is a mated pair... they were hiding in the same hole at the LFS... but they haven't found each other in the tank yet...
Old 08-22-2010, 06:28 AM

meenamjah is on a distinguished road

darn, I must be more tired than I thought.. lol. still, thats an awful lot of space for two tiny fishes~