Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-18-2007, 05:03 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
What version are you running? I might have a spare

J
They are version 3's.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-20-2007, 12:29 AM

With not too much else to look at in the tank, I've been entertained by the two mantis. One larger, red one...and one smaller green one. (same species, I'm sure). Just as I began to think they might actually enjoy each other's company, there was a big snapping tussle and the smaller one took off out of the rock like a shot! No harm seems to have been done....this time.

They still share the same rock. (they don't have any choice, but it is a pretty large rock with lots of holes) It would seem that occasionally they end up in the same place at the same time....

This is the larger of the two. I suppose the most interesting thing about this picture is that it is taken through 1" plexi and 6 feet of water. You can also see a large orange tunicate that probably isn't going to make it...

Killing time, waiting for cycle to complete....
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 03-20-2007, 01:10 AM

Midknight is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Midknight Send a message via Yahoo to Midknight

I don't know about having all the mantises that you think in the tank. Best get rid of a few while you can still catch them.

And I have just the home for big red there.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:22 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

You'll probably get a few more with the new shipment of LR too. My bet is that there will be a few deaths. A researcher on these guys said that although mantids can live together sometimes in the wild, they're usually different more docile species. N. wennerae are just too aggressive. Still, a couple might decide to live with eachother with only a few ritualised tussles.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:51 AM

Funkytone is on a distinguished road
Default Supplies/Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
When you have a big tank, even little problems require BIG tools! It cost me $20 to fix a nagging leak. I would have purchased a larger wrench, but couldn't find one. (If you know of a better place than KMS, let me know)

I'm a little late on the reply but...... Princess Auto has all sorts of tools that you can usually pickup at Home Depot, Rona etc. They're at United Blvd & King Edward. Awesome prices and they've got tons of piping too. Highly recommend them for all sorts of project supplies. The Langley location's closer so I usually go there.

www.princessauto.com

Looking forward to a tank tour if the opportunity comes up Watching this project has helped me pass the time while I wait to get rock for my 75 Gal.

Keep up the GREAT work,

-Tony
Old 03-20-2007, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midknight View Post
I don't know about having all the mantises that you think in the tank. Best get rid of a few while you can still catch them.

And I have just the home for big red there.
Ha..ha..duly noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
You'll probably get a few more with the new shipment of LR too. My bet is that there will be a few deaths. A researcher on these guys said that although mantids can live together sometimes in the wild, they're usually different more docile species. N. wennerae are just too aggressive. Still, a couple might decide to live with each other with only a few ritualised tussles.
Once the rest of the rock starts coming in, I imagine that the little guy will find a safer home. You're next in line to get wayward mantis..es. If you want them...I think I saw over 100 posts from you on the mantis forum of RC!

Old 03-20-2007, 04:33 AM

kaboom is on a distinguished road

I'd really like to see your close loop design, anyway you can post some diagrams/photos? Or perhaps describe the layout, # of intake/outlet, position and gph per outlet. Really admire your setup!
Old 03-20-2007, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom View Post
I'd really like to see your close loop design, anyway you can post some diagrams/photos? Or perhaps describe the layout, # of intake/outlet, position and gph per outlet. Really admire your setup!
As the Dart is rated at 3600gph with 0 head, I expect I'm pretty close to 3000gph through each CL depending on friction loss. 2" pipe to the pump, 1.5" output from the pump, 4x1" outlets from the 4-way.

You might refer to page 2 of this thread for more detail, including pictures of the pumps, 4-ways and back intakes/outlets.

Here's a flow diagram of the 2 closed loops. This is a top view, so you can see the position of the tank bottom outlets. Red/Green fire together, then purple/brown. The one grey line coming straight down from the right loop is actually at tank drain. Arrows show direction of flow through the loop..NOT the direction of water in the tank or the direction that the outlets point. Little triangles are union ball valves.

As the 4-ways rotate, the 2 back wall outlets all fire at the same time, then the tank bottom outlets fire. This pushes water forward and generally downward, then upward and back toward the overflows. The idea is to create a "rolling effect". It would have worked even better if I had placed the "red" outlets closer to the front of the tank, but I couldn't stand to look at them there.

This also has the effect of blowing the sand/detritus toward the front of the tank...which will keep stuff out from under the rockwork and up front where I can see it and clean it out.

Last edited by untamed; 03-20-2007 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:06 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

seriously?! thank you so much, I would definitely appreciate some mantids! Actually I owe ticketyboo one. He reserved one for me even though he was looking to get one himself... so now he gets first dibs on anything i find.

lol yeah RC, that's me alright. RC is the best source for reliable mantis info. Dr. Roy is my hero. I felt that after taking so much info from there, I figured i should give back to the community... or something, lol.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Banned

demon666 is on a distinguished road

hell id take a few mantises off your hands as well... .if youd be willing to ship them to edmonton