Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Swine Flu/H1N1 Vaccination - yes or No?
Yes, I'll take it. 86 33.99%
No, I wont take it. 94 37.15%
I need more information before deciding. 26 10.28%
I've already had or have H1N1. 15 5.93%
I think it's a conspiracy of some sort so please don't take it! 32 12.65%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2009, 06:41 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish55 View Post
CRICKEY! do you work for NASA or something, I should have paid more attention in school, apparently I am stupid, I am suffering with the flu right now, think I am going to go find my hockey helmet and ride the short bus to Wal Mart for some meds.
No, you're not stupid. Probably just studied other things in school I don't work for NASA but I do work in pharmaceutical R&D and was educated in pharmacology and toxicology. So I'm an egghead who happens to know about this stuff. But don't ask me to build a rocket

Last edited by Ron99; 11-04-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:59 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
I just think it is also maybe wrong to mistrust the vaccine automatically because you mistrust the pharma industry, along with most other industries. I think that is doing yourself a great disservice. It might be better to focus on the specifics of this case and ask yourself, what are the risks to me from contracting H1N1? What are the risks to society from an uncontrolled H1N1 pandemic? What are the risks to me associated with taking the vaccine? All I would like to see is a rational discussion supported by facts and evidence rather then the hysteria and misinformation that seems to prevalent.
Mistrust was never mentioned by me, so you must be assuming I mistrust them which I'm certainly not saying is the case. I'm just saying you can't necessarily trust such companies more than you would other companies. A human life is a human life and many companies make products which in some way can affect that.
Those are good questions and I assure you I've considered all of them and I'm not in the least bit concerned because I've done and am doing what I believe is necessary to keep myself healthy and safe. I was never concerned about the H1N1 and I was even in Mexico at the height of the scare last spring. In addition I've never once had the flu, my methods and reasoning however are based on my own findings and beliefs and I don't see how stating them benefits anyone else. You got to do somethings by yourself, I would never offer medical advice since I'm not a doctor and doing so would be unethical from my point of view.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

I wonder what the results of the same poll would be today?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I actually have one more thing to add which is that I find the results from the poll to be quite interesting.

The way I see it as of right now 21 (10%) people are undecided, 81 (40%) people are for the flu shot and 102 (50%) are against it.

Only 69 said YES, not 81. 12 people already had H1N1 so they won't need the shot. OK, I suppose its fair to assume those people would vote YES.

Last edited by Samw; 11-04-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:45 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw View Post
Only 69 said YES, not 81. 12 people already had H1N1 so they won't need the shot. OK, I suppose its fair to assume those people would vote YES.
Just trying to simplify. Either way it doesn't really matter, the results are still very interesting from my point of view.

Last edited by sphelps; 11-04-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 PM

djf4 is on a distinguished road

For those who distrust big Pharma, did you know Boiron, the french company that makes the 2 most popular popular homeopathic flu treatments - Oscillococcinum and Influenzinum employs thousands of people, is in 59 countries and had sales of 740 million Canadian dollars.

Oscillococcinum is an extracted from duck liver and heart and Influenzinum from the snot of flu sufferers. Both are diluted to the point where no molecules from the extract remain.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djf4 View Post
For those who distrust big Pharma, did you know Boiron, the french company that makes the 2 most popular popular homeopathic flu treatments - Oscillococcinum and Influenzinum employs thousands of people, is in 59 countries and had sales of 740 million Canadian dollars.

Oscillococcinum is an extracted from duck liver and heart and Influenzinum from the snot of flu sufferers. Both are diluted to the point where no molecules from the extract remain.
A homeopathic treatments company can hardly be compared to real pharma companies and these cannot be compared to vaccines. Please try again
Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
I wonder what the results of the same poll would be today?
Personally I would take this poll with a grain of salt as it is hardly a scientifically or statistically well set up poll. I would guess a number of the people who voted for a conspiracy did so tongue in cheek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Mistrust was never mentioned by me, so you must be assuming I mistrust them which I'm certainly not saying is the case. I'm just saying you can't necessarily trust such companies more than you would other companies. A human life is a human life and many companies make products which in some way can affect that.
Those are good questions and I assure you I've considered all of them and I'm not in the least bit concerned because I've done and am doing what I believe is necessary to keep myself healthy and safe. I was never concerned about the H1N1 and I was even in Mexico at the height of the scare last spring. In addition I've never once had the flu, my methods and reasoning however are based on my own findings and beliefs and I don't see how stating them benefits anyone else. You got to do somethings by yourself, I would never offer medical advice since I'm not a doctor and doing so would be unethical from my point of view.
Fair enough. I think it is important to remember that the pharma industry is one of the most heavily regulated ones around. Far more then car companies. If there were a problem with a drug or vaccine that came to light then it would and should be re-examined and could likely be pulled from the market. This has happened several times in the past. there is much closer scrutiny of drugs than any other product I can think of.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:01 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
Personally I would take this poll with a grain of salt as it is hardly a scientifically or statistically well set up poll. I would guess a number of the people who voted for a conspiracy did so tongue in cheek.
Oh no arguing that point. What I meant was I wonder how the public feels about the vaccine now that we have had a week of media hype and some dead children.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:47 PM

megs_clark is on a distinguished road

Iv deffinitly changed my mind over the past 2 weeks. 2 weeks ago I was totaly against my kids having the vaccine. I thought it was a new vaccine (Its not) And i thought that it had not had enough time to be tested long term possible side affects. I partialy changed my mind after seeing the tv special that showed how it affected Australia during their flu season and how many pefectly healthy people the H1N1 killed their. Not to mention how many people it has killed here. So many people think its only really affecting people with underlying health problems but it seems to randomly be hitting perfectly heathy people harder then was originaly expected. I think thats the scary part that people need to look at. No one knows how their body will handle it. I have 2 kids under 5 in my house as well as two teenagers and the highscool my stepdaughter goes to has had many kids come down with it. They didnt notify anyone or any students. I only found out by calling and asking if any students have had it. I think its in everyones communitys more then people are aware, because its not being broadcast where it is that people have died. I also think that in this day in age with us being so over populated that pandemics are much more easly spread then they were before. I could totaly be wrong on that. But to me more people, means more diseases, more easily spread, that have more access to morphing (is that the word) into becoming much more dangerous strains. So If asked a week or two ago i would have said no to the vaccine, but if asked now Id say yes im getting my kids vaccinated. Though still leary i think i will and am just waiting for the hype to die down before bringing my family in. ( i dont want my kids exposed to anything in a doctors waiting room that has 50 people in it) I also think that people cant base their opinions off of Utube, That seems really silly when their are so many informative sites you could be reading up on.