Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-15-2014, 03:43 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

I have been a fan of the company, almost since he started 30yrs ago but never bought anything until now. Its the superb quality of his work I wanted, plus the skimmer skims as well as anything out there.

I was going to go with a BK, but for the same price US dollars of course, I got the sump and skimmer. Of course my end cost is more with the border charges and UPS, sticking it to me.

That should clean my 50g.....

I cancelled my reactor, even though his are one of the best on the market. Just getting to costly across border. Bloody shame. I may still go with one but looking into the ones Nick carries instead.

I almost went with a Proflix and the sale they had on the balling system but cant find one that I can order. So back to a co2 reactor.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:05 AM

brotherd is on a distinguished road

Very nice skimmer you have there!
Old 01-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherd View Post
Very nice skimmer you have there!
Thanks. Not as large as yours though. I had to go check your build. I thought you had Lifereef gear... I originally had the 24in. coming but switched to 30in. and the larger 8in cup.

Same sump. Also was getting the refugium, but have a nice 30g I will drill and use instead. Shipping was just getting to much. And I still like his co2 reactor.

I see you got all 3 filter cylinders. I have two coming but cant figure out what to use a third for. Plus being a down flow, reg gfo cant be used? Are you going to use Brightwell. Im going to try my reg and see if it packs to much in the downflow.

Currently going to use a Mag12 on skimmer and return but may switch to DC pumps for both eventually.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:36 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I cancelled my reactor, even though his are one of the best on the market. Just getting to costly across border. Bloody shame. I may still go with one but looking into the ones Nick carries instead.
we'll have to have coffee, I have a 3/4 finished reactor sitting in the garage. or all the raw tubing to make one.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:42 AM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
we'll have to have coffee, I have a 3/4 finished reactor sitting in the garage. or all the raw tubing to make one.

Steve

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........
Old 01-16-2014, 01:43 AM

I am using the Brightwell. I tried regular gfo. Packed down very quickly and what a mess to clean up. I'm currently not using the third cylinder. It's there for future considerations.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:56 AM
Rest In Peace

Ok thanks. Perhaps for the price, I may as well get the 3rd also. You T off the feed or run the Mag 7?
Old 01-16-2014, 04:15 AM

Tee off the feed for my setup. I bought the manifold as well but I altered it for my system and I'm going to alter it again when I simplify the skimmer feed and return to the sump. Really happy with everything that Jeff creates.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:23 AM
Rest In Peace

Current design of the reef. Still covered with towels while it finishes the second cycle. Still lots of front room. At least 2 -3in. in back behind rock.

Will not be lacking current with my return, at least one or two MP 40,s and my MP 20.

This is the left corner after I forgot the clowns home, so redid it like this. They have access to both ends and I can peek in on their eggs. The flat will be for either some clams or chalice. You can see the debris collecting from the rock already.

This is the right side. As can be seen my back row with space behind, is less than 3/4 of the tank high, so will still allow for vertical growth. The front row is only about a 1/4 high, so lots of vertical growth room there and should not block out the visual for the rear corals.

At least thats the plan....
Old 01-16-2014, 04:29 AM

Looks good man. Sorry if I missed it but are you going sans substrate?