Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post

sounds like you could use a few laps around the lake..
Ya, scheduled for later.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

One of the yellow tangs gone....
Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

What lousy news. I'm so sorry for your losses.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:32 PM

vaporize is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to vaporize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post

Have medication on hand BEFORE you run into this type of scenario. I'll be picking up chloroquine this morning.

Maintaining a spare filter hanging off the main tank isn't practical, as it would require effort to not build up NO3 in the tank.
Where can you pick up chloroquine diphosphate? I've read that if it's terminal stage, it might not work fast enough (same as cupramine); you might want to carefully use copper salt directly (i.e. copper sulfate with proper test kit) - just make sure you don't use it in lower salinity tank

Do not use "hang-on" filter in the main tank to seed as most of those clog up and some have carbon. Use sponge filter in the sump to seed, you just wash it out everytime you change water.
Red Sea, Black Saddleback, Brown Camel, Orange Fin, Melanistic Clarkii, Common Clarkii, True Percula, True Picassco, Pink Skunk, Orange Skunk, Maldives Clown, TRUE Sebae clown, Akin Clown, Gold Striped Maroon, White Striped Maroon, Latezonatus
Old 02-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporize View Post
Where can you pick up chloroquine diphosphate? I've read that if it's terminal stage, it might not work fast enough (same as cupramine); you might want to carefully use copper salt directly (i.e. copper sulfate with proper test kit) - just make sure you don't use it in lower salinity tank

Do not use "hang-on" filter in the main tank to seed as most of those clog up and some have carbon. Use sponge filter in the sump to seed, you just wash it out everytime you change water.
Chloroquine phosphate can be found at any drug store and works the same as diphosphate. My vet is examining a fish right now and will give me a script for it.
Copper is not an option in my mind, I think it does more harm to the fish long term.
The hang on is fine, it only has carbon if you add carbon But yes, a foam block carefully maintained could work.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Chloroquine phosphate can be found at any drug store and works the same as diphosphate. My vet is examining a fish right now and will give me a script for it.
Copper is not an option in my mind, I think it does more harm to the fish long term.
The hang on is fine, it only has carbon if you add carbon But yes, a foam block carefully maintained could work.
Chloroquine phosphate is "off the counter" drug without prescription?

Well copper might have negative long term effect, but if the fish does not even live, what does it matter if it has long term because it has no term if it dies ;-D

I wonder if chloroquine phosphate actually can cure brooklynella too - your vet know?
Red Sea, Black Saddleback, Brown Camel, Orange Fin, Melanistic Clarkii, Common Clarkii, True Percula, True Picassco, Pink Skunk, Orange Skunk, Maldives Clown, TRUE Sebae clown, Akin Clown, Gold Striped Maroon, White Striped Maroon, Latezonatus
Old 02-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Chloroquine phosphate is "off the counter" drug without prescription?

Well copper might have negative long term effect, but if the fish does not even live, what does it matter if it has long term because it has no term if it dies ;-D

I wonder if chloroquine phosphate actually can cure brooklynella too - your vet know?
No, it's a prescription drug, which is why the vet is involved. And yes, it treats brooklynella as well.
I think copper, at this point, would simply kill the fish. And wreck the tank. And all the rock in it. This is my future frag tank, and I don't want to have to dismantle it to clean it.
From what I've read, the CP works really well and quickly. I should have it shortly.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
No, it's a prescription drug, which is why the vet is involved. And yes, it treats brooklynella as well.
I think copper, at this point, would simply kill the fish. And wreck the tank. And all the rock in it. This is my future frag tank, and I don't want to have to dismantle it to clean it.
From what I've read, the CP works really well and quickly. I should have it shortly.
Thanks, please update us when you apply it

Are you getting the actual chemical or the human version of the drug (I think it's Aralen) ?

(don't know that you are going to apply to a reef tank - hopefully no negative effects)
Old 02-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Thanks, please update us when you apply it

Are you getting the actual chemical or the human version of the drug (I think it's Aralen) ?

(don't know that you are going to apply to a reef tank - hopefully no negative effects)
I'm getting the tabs (Arelen) but have a compounding pharmacy trying to source the diphosphate salt. The tabs are 155mg active ingredient.

And no, not in the display tank, it's highly toxic to algae, meaning it would kill all the corals. Inverts seem to do fine (shrimps/clams, etc).
Old 02-07-2012, 04:48 PM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road

it is amazing how these scaled covered things start to have meaning in one's life.
you aren't just losing a few fish, it is like you are losing a few friends.
sorry to hear it is going so badly.