Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-26-2009, 04:55 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Okay, I finally had a chance to leak test the OM plumbing. I was quite disappointed because I had used a bunch of old plumbing from a friend and it was that whole section that leaked like a sieve. So I decided to just go buy new plumbing and redo the inlet without any 90's. I'm quite happy with it now. I also redid some of the plumbing in spa flex so that I could have a flexible line to drain it when servicing the OM. Here is a picture of the final leak free plumbing:

And a photo of my son and I shopping for plumbing parts. It's amazing how many times you have to go shopping for fittings because you forgot that one part.

And a couple of pictures of the OM in action. I am quite pleased with the Sequence Dart. That is some FLOW! I'm glad I plumbed everything in 1 1/2" plumbing.

Hopefully more updates to come soon. Work has been too busy for my liking.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:57 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

adda boy Dez looking sweet man.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:59 AM

I got my Reeflo Blackfin 6000 pump today. Man this thing is a monster. I can't believe that the intake and outlet are 2"! I'm gonna have to re-mortgage my house just to do the plumbing for this tank. I got it for $260 shipped to my door directly from Reeflo. I'm quite pleased about that. Now to find time for plumbing. I still have to patch a couple of unusable holes in the sump and drill a hole for the 2" bulkhead for the intake of the pump. This is the only major piece of equipment that I've bought new so far...

Here is one with my hand for size refererence.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:05 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

have to agree, monster pump
Old 06-26-2009, 09:07 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Wow, 2" intake and output. That's like, firehose capacity.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAbyss View Post

Wow, 2" intake and output. That's like, firehose capacity.
I know, kind of crazy. On the website it stated 1.5" adapters, but it is 2". 2" plumbing parts are super expensive.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:41 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

uhhhh wow. Big pump.

Interesting to note that if you google "reeflo blackfin 6000", this thread comes up around 4th place...
Old 06-26-2009, 04:42 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Whoops, my bad, 3rd place.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
uhhhh wow. Big pump.

Interesting to note that if you google "reeflo blackfin 6000", this thread comes up around 4th place...
Wow, that is an interesting tidbit. Hopefully it works well. There's a full 2 year warranty on it. Can't wait to find time to plumb it up and test everything. Need bulkheads though that I'm waiting for.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:40 AM

Well, yesterday I went off to get plumbing parts to plumb the main tank to the basement. Here's what $250 in plumbing gets you (the used plumbing on the left of the picture I got for free cause the owner was going to throw it out anyway, I used it for the valves.

And here's how we got the pipe home

Here is the plumbing under the tank plumbed up. That 3" dryer vent looking thing is for an inline fan that I'll have in the future for the lights. I'm going to extend it all the way to the canopy and have the fan downstairs drawing air into the canopy.

And the return line plumbed up. My WavySea wavemaker came from J&L missing the union and the height adjuster so they have to ship it out to me Monday, that's why I left he plumbing long so when it comes I'll just cut and attach it.

Heres the wavebox and emergency drain pipe

Here is the plumging in the basement. Keep in mind that plumbing on the right is all 2". Crazy. Yup, that's a 2" gate valve (the only reason I bought a gate is cause they were out of ball valves and I wanted to do the plumbing on the same day and every where else was closed on a weekend.

The drain line that's sagging is temporary (that's my emergency overlow). I'm going to hook up the frag tank's drain line into that pipe, as well as the water change tank's drain.

All in all I'm happy. I had a minor leak (hate threaded fittings). So had to unscrew and put more teflon tape and all was good. The wavebox works!!!! I get about an 1 1/4" wave. The unit is louder than I thought so I'll have to try insulation around the box and cabinetry when I get it. I am quite happy with the flow from the Blackfin 6000, however I would NOT recommend it going in your stand. Boy am I glad it's in the basement, the thing is a beast and it's quite loud. I am very happy with the sump, even with my pump cranked full there are no bubbles getting back into the main tank.

Now to get sand, clean it, drain the tank, get the RO unit hooked up, paint the rest of the sump room, get cabinetry, get my lights hung and hooked up, plumb in the frag tank/drain, plumb in the water change tank, get the RO reservoir hooked up, get the dehumidistat wired, get pond liner to line under my tank with 3 1/2" dams, get my live rock zip-tied, or rodded together.....hmmmmm the list doesn't seem to end.

Thanks for following.