Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-20-2011, 04:02 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Hey Laurier, nice addition. How's that skimmer working out for you now, after a little break-in time? I've run chemi-pure since about the 2nd month on mine without any brown slime issues. I did switch to brightwell carbon once, but notice a change in the water clarity, now I run the chemi pure & occasionally both.Keeps it nice and clear so far. Also I added 1 of those actinic led strips that they have at ocean city, they make it look awesome after the main lighting goes out, it's like a fish rave.
skimmer was doing great, but somehow it got a slime coat on the inside of the skimmer. So either today or tomorrow I will be doing a vinegar bath to clean it up and getting it running like new. But I still plan on upgrading to the NAC3.5 in the next few months. I still want to try a cone style skimmer

Yep running carbon (KZ) in the phosban reactor. I just think the chemi-pure shocked they system. As of now I have some cleaning up to do since introducing it. For sure was the key factor to the slime algae
Old 02-20-2011, 06:35 PM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
skimmer was doing great, but somehow it got a slime coat on the inside of the skimmer. So either today or tomorrow I will be doing a vinegar bath to clean it up and getting it running like new. But I still plan on upgrading to the NAC3.5 in the next few months. I still want to try a cone style skimmer

Yep running carbon (KZ) in the phosban reactor. I just think the chemi-pure shocked they system. As of now I have some cleaning up to do since introducing it. For sure was the key factor to the slime algae
you will love the 3.5. i was a little skeptical on it at first but so far it has blow the tunze 9002 and an eshopps-psk-75 h out of the water
Old 02-20-2011, 09:23 PM

good to hear, I considered the psk-75 for a bit and after reading the eshopps thread on reef central it turned me off from it. my friend is running one and has had great sucess with it but so far bubble magus has been excellent for me so I think I will stick with that company

but I started zeo 1 day early. lol 500g or rocks is not that much compared to what can fit in the reactor. It might be the scale I used so I am going to see where I can actually buy one
Old 02-20-2011, 10:10 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

Sure I could give you some suggestions from the different experiences I've had with zeo. This time around though since I redid my rocks I'm running a hybrid regiment using zeo & N/P biopellets. Seems to be working Ok so far. On the subject of skimmers I would probably try a Bubble Magnus though I have a brand new Vertex alpha 200 cone skimmer in the box that I'm going to try. Like you I want to try a cone skimmer and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
Thats exactly why I haven't picked it up yet. I probably won't add zeoFood for at least 2 weeks and I do want to add spongepower, just need to wait till next paycheck. Went over my bi-monthly budget lol. When I swing by your place with your frag I will have to chat with you about your regiments

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 PM

Well giving this tank till july to bounce back. Sell the tank but keep the new skimmer, pump and zeo and start over with a larger system.

Plus I regret going zeo. Might be away for 3 week next christmas so finding someone to crash at my place will be an issue
Old 03-10-2011, 07:05 AM

So it has been a stressful couple of weeks with my tank. Honestly it drove me into depression so the zeo had to go. To be honest I think I overdosing a tad bit to much.

So after shutting down the zeo 2 days ago and doing 2 massive water changes things bounced back. My LPS started to look better, my chromis came out from hiding and polyp extension on my mille (the test subject) increased. So back to the drawing board...

Flow in the tank was increased by 30x which puts the tank around 55x turnover with the nano 240 off and than 64x when the nano is on. I have it on a timer to variable flow.

As for coral, looking into rarer paly's (purple death's, nuclear green's), florida ric's, and down the road I want to add pink birdsnest and some red planet once I know the system has become more stable. Lost most of my SPS during the zeo time frame but it was all frags from my 60gal so they are easily replaceable.

On the note for a low nutrient system. I have been watching fencers thread on the Prodibio line. I am considering starting this in a few weeks and I really wish I looked into this system a bit more before going zeo. It fits my schedule and is alot less demanding.

As for the sump, I now have a huge empty space and am looking for idea's. Might pick up more LR.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:55 PM

blah

Last edited by lorenz0; 04-06-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:50 PM

After my little idea to upgrade, that didn't last I decided to keep the cube (ha funny)

I am keeping some lower maintenance stuff, sure I miss having my sps around and sadly the 60gal is looking more and more like crap (long story)

well here is a small update. lowered the flow to maybe 15x turnover, raised the 150mh and decreased amount of feeding to the corals

Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 PM

silentcivilian is on a distinguished road

Yaa.. looking good.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:32 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

is that a favia I see on the right?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694