Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-30-2012, 03:21 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

What the hell, right ?
At the very least, it'll give you something to look back on many months from now

And we want pikchoors
Old 11-30-2012, 08:10 PM

gridley is on a distinguished road

As a result of some freindly encouragement I took a few tank shots - however - there isn't much color yet - far from spectacular - in fact a long way from average. LOL! One is a partial tank shot of the left side, the other is a full shot.

I guess it is time to get some coral in the tank to brighten it up!

90g mixed reef (eventually!); 23g sump; 20g QT; Waveline DC-5000 return; 2 Radions; 2 Vortech MP10s; Koralia 3; ELOS ATO with 14g ATO tank; RLSS R8 skimmer; BRS reactor - GFO/Carbon; filter socks; Puratek RO/DI
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85303
Old 11-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Tank is looking great! Nice work. I'm a huge fan of the blue background. Seems to lighten everything up a little.

Also seems like your foxface loves to raise his dorsal spines! haha. Almost every pic he has them raised.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
Tank is looking great! Nice work. I'm a huge fan of the blue background. Seems to lighten everything up a little.

Also seems like your foxface loves to raise his dorsal spines! haha. Almost every pic he has them raised.

Thanks for the compliments! But the tank has a long way to go. Regarding the blue background - we have been wondering what to do with that - let it get covered or keep it clean. Deborah wants me to keep it clean (notice that I'm the one with the work to do? LOL). Keeping it clean - and therefoe blue does seem to add a depth to the look of the tank.

And yes the Foxface loves to keep his spine up. There are a lot of times that he will simply stay in one place, poping his fins - interesting to watch.
90g mixed reef (eventually!); 23g sump; 20g QT; Waveline DC-5000 return; 2 Radions; 2 Vortech MP10s; Koralia 3; ELOS ATO with 14g ATO tank; RLSS R8 skimmer; BRS reactor - GFO/Carbon; filter socks; Puratek RO/DI
Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 PM

It has again been a long time since I have updated here. Christmas has been busy busy and I have not been doing so good - off work for six weeks - but ready to get back to it!

A few weeks ago we were having some algae problems so I changed the GFO and added a few more snales and hermit crabs - red abd blue legged. The algae is under control now, though today I noticed a bit more growth - maybe I'm feeding a bit too heavy? I did test the phosphate and nitrate and both are at 0.

We have been able to add a few more coral to the tank - we now have what we were told was a "tree coral" - but I see that there are a number of differernt corals with the same common name. In addition we have bought a Torch Coral and a Fox Coral.

We are planning to add another fish or two in the new year - maybe a sailfin tang.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:07 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Looking good. Looks to me that "tree coral" is a Kenya tree. I regret putting one in mine. It'll drop those branches all over and before ya know it, it'll be everywhere. When you see it drop a branch try and get it out. IMHO
Old 12-31-2012, 12:40 AM

zhasan is on a distinguished road

Looking very nice! I really like your fox face fish!

How many lbs of rock do you have in your tank?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Tank looks great! Maybe look at a Kole Tang as a Sailfin will get big and then you have to re-home it or go bigger.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Looking good. Looks to me that "tree coral" is a Kenya tree. I regret putting one in mine. It'll drop those branches all over and before ya know it, it'll be everywhere. When you see it drop a branch try and get it out. IMHO
Thanks for help with identifying the Kenya tree. So . . . what causes the branches to fall off - is there some way I might be able to prevent / limit that from happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhasan View Post
Looking very nice! I really like your fox face fish!

How many lbs of rock do you have in your tank?
We have a total of 103 lbs of rock. It is a 90G DT and approx 20g sump. We purchsed 70lbs of dry rock and seeded it with 33 lbs of live rock. Not all the rock is in the DT as we wanted a more open look. I am not sure how much is in the sump, but at a guess I'd say approx 30 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Tank looks great! Maybe look at a Kole Tang as a Sailfin will get big and then you have to re-home it or go bigger.
Thanks for the compliment - and the caution re: the sailfin - though I like the logic of getting the fish first and using that as the justification to go bigger and better!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:46 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Great looking tank, your patience has certainly paid off.

Just wondering, why soooooo many royal grammas? Love your fox face, what a poser, wish I could get pics of mine with his fins up.