Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Ahhh man that sucks. I've always admired your tank. Hopefully the New Year is a better year for reefing. I still owe you some corals and if my tank transfer goes well I might have to drop off a box full of frags in May
Old 12-18-2013, 06:29 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

You comin into town in may

360 Reef Tank
Old 12-18-2013, 06:44 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Yea. My wife's dragging me to an event and I'm meeting buddy who's buying my tank off of me to deliver it to him.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:55 PM

BackPackHunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
Well nothing to update I bought a boat and spend the summer fishing ", now this winter stupid busy with work.

We had a bad year added one more fish into the tank and got a disease lost 30 of my fish I had for 5 years or so
We were gone on a fishing trip this summer and the power went out for a while I guess, lost all my corals except one clam I had so that sucked.

This morning I woke up and my 13 inch maxima we had for years is gone looked fine yesterday.

Still having algae issues in the tank cut back lighting doing lots of water changes and running zeo

Heard dead rock can leach for over 18 months well I am over 12 in now so here's hoping.

I will update once my Christmas presents arrive .

wow, im sorry to hear that....
Ive heard the same thing about the dry rock, & Ive been talking to a Florida company about a very large shipment of live rock & sand, fresh from the ocean. just waiting to hear back about the flight cost... hopping to have it in my hand for under $4 lb...

sorry for bringing back up a sad event ....
but with a new fish was it QT? what would have you done different?
Im just trying to learn from what happened as thats a very big tank to have that happen into.... my next tank is going to be the biggest Ive ever had, and after reading your thread im going to try to talk the wife into giving be 6' of the living room, then I could probably almost double the size of the tank i want...
My next tank is it, the last one... trying to do everything right even if it takes a long time to do...

thanks
Old 12-19-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
wow, im sorry to hear that....
Ive heard the same thing about the dry rock, & Ive been talking to a Florida company about a very large shipment of live rock & sand, fresh from the ocean. just waiting to hear back about the flight cost... hopping to have it in my hand for under $4 lb...

sorry for bringing back up a sad event ....
but with a new fish was it QT? what would have you done different?
Im just trying to learn from what happened as thats a very big tank to have that happen into.... my next tank is going to be the biggest Ive ever had, and after reading your thread im going to try to talk the wife into giving be 6' of the living room, then I could probably almost double the size of the tank i want...
My next tank is it, the last one... trying to do everything right even if it takes a long time to do...

thanks

I was always the person who said no more fish but bought that one more, it's part of the hobby and learning I have had a few tank crashes from equiptment and human error and basically a matter of time it seems. I am very fussy now about purchasing fish only from other members after they answer about 100 questions. I didn't really leave room in my fish room for a qt setup as I never really had dont it i tried it but never had great success at it. The best advice is study the fish at the store for colour, activity, behaviour and how it eats. Look at all the fish in the tank or what else in plumbed into that system. I know what fish I added had it an remember when I saw it in the store thinking its a bit pale but its a finky rare fish I really wanted and it was just spooked.

Yeah the 6 foot is nice for swimming room and what not, wanted a 8 foot but didn't have the room in our house.

Well once my spending splurge arrives ill put some more effort into the tank it's just hard to go from a 180 gallon full Sps reef which was thriving to have to do a move and start from scratch after looses.

360 Reef Tank
Old 12-19-2013, 01:25 AM

One of the reasons I went with dead rock and sand was I wanted the tank to be pest free the last tank I started with second hand rock and I was haunted by crabs, worms and all sorts of other plagues. Ended up worth clove pylops and star pylops everywhere too so I wanted to start fresh.

360 Reef Tank
Old 12-19-2013, 01:28 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

WOW that totally sucks Wes sorry to hear this, your tank was so amazing the couple times I got to see it in person.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 12-19-2013, 01:34 AM

That's why we kept low well be back, have the pictures to keep us going, just need to clear up this algae issue and well start again. I am missing my t5 lights tho I think ...

360 Reef Tank
Old 12-19-2013, 01:36 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

One main reason I am investing in some big battery back ups just in case of a power outage.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 12-19-2013, 01:38 AM

Well yeah actually looked into one of those natural gas generators

360 Reef Tank