Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-18-2012, 03:07 AM

Ginu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
I suppose that makes sense my sexy shrimp is still doing his thing all up in the zoas if that didn't get eaten it must be okay. How big of a cleaner crew can I safely have with a few fish?

I got about 4-5 hermits and 4 nassarius snails along with some other few snails which I don't know their name and have the following:
Large coral branded shrimp
Large cleaner skunk shrimp
Peppermint shrimp
Tiger pistol shrimp
Wheelers goby, although it could be some other kind of goby. He paired nicely with the pistol
Cleaner wrasse
Two black clowns with their gigantic sea anemone
Bicolor blenny - a fish with a ton of personality

All this is sitting in a 34g AIO and would like to add another fish, just not sure what so I'm leaving it for now. I had a foxface (I know he didn't belong in a 34g, but a long story) which sadly died about two weeks after it was rescued.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:05 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
and nearly got nailed by a hot pink bristle worm in the process!
I see nobody remarked about your worm. If it's Red, you may want to get rid of it when you can as it may be a nasty Fire Worm
But it could also be harmless.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/5/short

TheAmphinomidae- Amphinoids are also known as "fireworms" and have calcareous setae filled with poisonous secretions. When irritated, they erect their sharp setae which break off at a touch releasing their poisonous contents into the wound. Most species are found on corals, rocks and other hard substrata covered with attached organisms. They swim well and can be brilliantly colored. All but one species can be considered harmless and are great scavengers.

Species shown below : Hermodice carunculata - This is the one species of fireworm that you do not want in your aquarium as it is a known predator of corals.

The below pictured specimen is a Pherecardia striata, also a member of the fireworms and is a scavenger.

Genus Pareurythoe , which has very small caruncles.

Eurythoe complanata - Probably the most commonly found worm and is a harmless scavenger, a benefit to our systems.

Last edited by gregzz4; 04-18-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
I see nobody remarked about your worm. If it's Red, you may want to get rid of it when you can as it may be a nasty Fire Worm
But it could also be harmless.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/5/short

TheAmphinomidae- Amphinoids are also known as "fireworms" and have calcareous setae filled with poisonous secretions. When irritated, they erect their sharp setae which break off at a touch releasing their poisonous contents into the wound. Most species are found on corals, rocks and other hard substrata covered with attached organisms. They swim well and can be brilliantly colored. All but one species can be considered harmless and are great scavengers.

Species shown below : Hermodice carunculata - This is the one species of fireworm that you do not want in your aquarium as it is a known predator of corals.

The below pictured specimen is a Pherecardia striata, also a member of the fireworms and is a scavenger.

Genus Pareurythoe , which has very small caruncles.

Eurythoe complanata - Probably the most commonly found worm and is a harmless scavenger, a benefit to our systems.

Those are some ugly worms... yuck
Old 04-20-2012, 06:21 PM

Aysha is on a distinguished road

it was tiny the size of my thumb nail it floated off into the sump when I moved the rock.

I bought a peppermint shrimp last night and found him this morning exploring the rock that I was having troubles with. Good shrimpy! you get a promotion.

I just really like the crabs and shrimp and all the life that this little tank is supporting! their are little bity STASRFISHES! (shut up it's exciting to me)

I can't wait to add fishes again I'd like a ebil angel and a pair of mocha clowns I think.

we are looking at a house in the next few months as well so they may be a housewarming present to me lol.

My tank is looking awesome! thanks again for all your guys help!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
it was tiny the size of my thumb nail it floated off into the sump when I moved the rock.

I bought a peppermint shrimp last night and found him this morning exploring the rock that I was having troubles with. Good shrimpy! you get a promotion.

I just really like the crabs and shrimp and all the life that this little tank is supporting! their are little bity STASRFISHES! (shut up it's exciting to me)

I can't wait to add fishes again I'd like a ebil angel and a pair of mocha clowns I think.

we are looking at a house in the next few months as well so they may be a housewarming present to me lol.

My tank is looking awesome! thanks again for all your guys help!!!
Anytime and I'm glad your peppermint shrimp got a promotion hehe

I told you they will not let you down. I love mine although is not as pretty looking as the CBS or cleaner
Old 04-20-2012, 06:37 PM

I wanted a skunk cleaner soooo bad.
but they're kind of more than I want to spend you know?
I don't know if he's worth 10.00 more than any of my other shrimps.

I'd LOVE another sexy but I'm not paying 20.00 for something the size of my thumb nail (although I'm glad I got to adopt the one I have)

No more snails though those things are tanks; always making my coral fall over.... although their algae eating skills do NOT disappoint.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I wanted a skunk cleaner soooo bad.
but they're kind of more than I want to spend you know?
I don't know if he's worth 10.00 more than any of my other shrimps.

I'd LOVE another sexy but I'm not paying 20.00 for something the size of my thumb nail (although I'm glad I got to adopt the one I have)

No more snails though those things are tanks; always making my coral fall over.... although their algae eating skills do NOT disappoint.
I gotta teach mine somehow to chow down some more algae... they seem to graze where in odd areas in my tank...
Old 04-28-2012, 08:18 PM

Well the pistol ate my peppermint (confirmed) and my sexy is MIA after a series of loud pop pop pop noises coming from my tank he's also managed to cause a near rockslide and bury a ton of coral so I put him up for trade. the bugger is too destructive for my small tank...if anyone wants him in exchange for a skunk cleaner or a pair of sexys maybe? let me know.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:39 PM

Sorry to hear about the pistol going cannibalistic on you...
Just out of curiosity what are you feeding him and do make sure the pistol gets it?

I find it weird that he ate your other shrimp tbh...
In my 34 gallon AIO I have a tiger pistol, coral branded, cleaner shrimp and a small peppermint which I thought would die witin a day but after two months he's still alive and well.

For food i feed them shrimps which I buy in Safeway frozen and chop them up. For my anemone I feed it half a shrimp every week or so. For the pistol shrimp and goby, I make sure they both get their share and sometimes it gets very annoying because the female clown is very aggressive and even though I make sure she has enough food, she will steal the sinking pieces of shrimp and feeds her anemone. The male clown on the other hand is not like that... Guess she's in charge.

Now I think I feed a little too much because I want to make sure they all eat and dont starve, so I am fighting a little algae but in the long run I'll get that down as well.

I really hope you get it all figured it as this hobby is very rewarding once everything is dialed in and runs smoothly.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:46 PM

Also I forgot to mention and not sure what your tank looks line in terms of landscape, but they do need a landscape with a lot of caves and crevices so they can hide, escape another invertebrate going after them and also keep in mind they become very vulnerable when molting and right after...

I have quite a bit of rock In my tank placed in a horseshoe and quite talk at the back resting on the back wall; this way they all get enough space to call home.
When the coral branded is awake, the cleaner usually goes behind and sleeps and viceversa. My peppermint is nocturnal as well and he gets chased around often but he gets away easy through the rocks since the other two have a tough time squeezing.
Now anOther thing I find weird is how did the pistol catch the shrimp as the pistol is always under or around his rocks...
In regards to the rockslide, they will cause rockslides if the rocks are not properly secured and with a very deep sandbed.