Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Judy Waytiuk is on a distinguished road
Question power cords....?

just unpacked my new Vertex 200 60 inch unit.... no power cords. three adapters, one splitter, no power cords-- they are supposed to come with power cords, aren't they?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 PM

AquaticFinatic is on a distinguished road

yup they should be in one of the small brown boxes. sweet light hope you have fun with it!

Loudest part of my system would be the nagging sound I hear on a regular basis about how much time and money I spend on the tank.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 PM

nope, no cords... called the LFS I ordered it through, he called the supplier and they're couriering the cords from Vancouver... now I just have to pluck up enough courage to hang them...stud, stud, where's the frickin' stud...
Old 03-13-2011, 08:05 PM

Angry and now the splitter box issue...

Well, the power cords came-- after ten days because the warehouse apparently "forgot" to give them to the UPS delivery guy (had I known they were just standard computer cords, I could gone out and bought them here in Winnipeg in five minutes).
Plugged it all in, only to find one of the inputs on the splitter box does not work. and the slot on the box that takes the fixture's control cable must have something wrong with it, too, because the control cable is clearly designed to "click" into the splitter box, and it does not. Minor moving of the splitter box causes the control cable to slip out and it has to be gently put back in, whereupon the unit re-initializes. Fortunately, the unit has so far unfailingly saved the custom settings and returns to them when it goes back on. Having to reprogram every time would have driven me nuts by now.
The two banks of lights that do work right now -- white (thank heaven) and one of the blues (royal, I think but am not sure without the other blue bank to compare to) are lovely! I'm sure when the third bank is added to the mix, it will be really quite remarkable...
BUT-- for $3300, these problems should NOT have cropped up!!
I am torn between being a happy customer because these lights look great already, and I am sure will be really, really great once they are working properly-- and being a totally cheesed-off customer because I have had them now for almost a month and they still aren't working properly!!
I just hope the workmanship on the lamps does not turn out to be a shoddy as the quality control-- which should have shipped the required cables that DO comes with the unit-- or the lousy workmanship that went into this crappy splitter box!
It's one thing designing a wonderful lighting system. It's another having the service orientation to make sure the light gets to the customer in proper condition.

Last edited by Judy Waytiuk; 03-13-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 PM

sorry to read about your issues but once you get past them you will be soooooooooooo happy with your light! I cant say money well spent but sure wont be going back.

Loudest part of my system would be the nagging sound I hear on a regular basis about how much time and money I spend on the tank.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:10 PM

oh, i know-- i can tell from just the two banks of lights. It's wonderful!!!
(the light unit's control cable should "click" into the splitter box and hold, right???)
Old 03-13-2011, 09:20 PM

Yup they should just push together and stay. Are they sending you a new part?

Old 03-13-2011, 09:26 PM

that's what I thought. I just hope it's the splitter box and not the plastic clip on the fixture's control cable-- because THAT piece is hard-wired into the UNIT!! I can't tell from visual inspection that there's anything wrong with the control cable. but with my luck....

haven't heard back yet-- it was late Friday afternoon by the time I picked up the cables, got home, and got the thing plugged in. I hope to hear back on Monday...
Old 03-13-2011, 11:55 PM

Just heard from Albert, bless his sunday afternoon working soul... he's shipping a fresh splitter box to my home, putting it out tomorrow for delivery. he has been quite patient with my brand of fishy infuriation.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:33 AM

Albert is a good dude so I'm not surprised he's helping you on a Sunday.