Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Great photos, sad to hear about the copperband. Nice squarespot anthias though.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:31 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Yea love the square spots thats basically the reason my wife gave me a go ahead for a bigger tank... I'm like honey we can't have 3 of them in the 30 gallon we we will need this 6 footer....

Also added a new netting for the top of the tank and a new blue sided fair wrasse

Old 12-14-2013, 04:50 PM

Well after 2 days of chemiclean all i can say it wow!Cyano gone
Before and after pictures no fish corals or anything hurt or irritated

Old 12-14-2013, 08:28 PM

Well some have asked ask to the dosing method I used for chemiclean. The reason was that my RO?DI membrane became loose and i did my last water change with like 80 TDS water by mistake and after about a week i got the cyano slowly creeping in so i did another WC then waited and

After researching it for like a week ( I'm fairly skeptical in nature and hate using chemicals) i finally went ahead and dosed the Chemiclean

I followed the directions

-Turned off skimmer
-Tested water levels (for my own piece of mind)
-added airstone bubbler to display back corner some of bubbles went to mp10 fish didn't seem to mind
- took Carbon reactor offline

- Mixed 1 scoop of chemiclean to 10 gallons water so I dosed 15 level scoops mixed it in tank water and turkey based it into display event throughout
...waited

Nothing happened for a day no fish seemed different so corals sucked in or anything, i continued to feed and do what i do,

The night of the first day after dosing i was starting to notice the cyano patches starting to float to the top and i was scoop them out as they came.

By the 2nd morning all the cyano was gone, i mean gone none on the rock or sand or anything gone. Fired up my skimmer and it overflowed for a while but all is well. Only ill effects i have had was 1 zoo colony closed up during the second day and it just opened so idk

Doing a 25% water change today and adding carbon back that will give it just over 48Hr to work and i took the airstone out and yea

No fish worried, No corals worried, Pods were still alive and a ton of them in the fuge, all inverts fine and no ill effects
Old 05-23-2014, 05:11 AM

Well big update time

Lots of new stuff lots of different stuff, About 5 ish months back i had a ich outbreak if anyone seen any of my other posts, i was a perfect example of someone who didn't do my research and didn't QT cause honestly never heard of anyone doing it and I've never even seen ich... well i did find it i added to many fish so quick from everywhere it was bound to happen.

I did the hypo salinity route in a 55 gallon after fishing them all out and managed to save 1 naso tang 2 reef chromis. I had 4 days left of hypo when i had a ammonia spike and kill 6 of the last 9 fish over night like from >0.05 to almost 2 over night and i had prime in there..

Any who.. i QT hypo and went fallow for like 9weeks, put the fish back and set up a Tank transfer Method Qt and these are the fish that just made it through TT and Prazipro treatment.

So without further ado VIDEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAYG...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Craigdillman; 05-23-2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:13 AM

here is some QT pics

QT was like 100$ to set up and was actually pretty fun i didn't mind it at all and i learned a ton so all my fish will now be TT and prazipro
Old 04-15-2015, 04:00 PM

Long overdue update this is from a few months back this was added in jan

QT tank all up and running for the TT method got

2 anthias
Kole tang
Diamond Goby
Blue side fair wrasse
Psudochromis strawberry

shhhhhhhh time for pics

Old 04-15-2015, 04:01 PM

Got the Ro machine all moved to under the stairs and gonna get a proper mixing station for water and now able to have 45g or so of water and 45G of salt water ready just got to find a pump to put it up stairs now

Just got to finish he clean up of the tubing and install the brute cans
Old 04-15-2015, 04:02 PM

Well all the new fish are in and looking happy and healthy ( the goby while a cool fish is a *censored* and sand storm maker) and that paired with the blue side wrasse flipping my frags and zoas over things were a bit hectic. I added the new gyre and that with the goby sand storm caused the tank to be pretty cloudy and sandy and detritus for a week or so, had to do three 15-20g wc that week and too many filter socks to count and finally brang it all back in check. Only thing that seemed to take it the worst was monti stenosa still looks pale idk if it was lack of light from the particles or the fact all the sand constantly being on it and particles having to be blown off anyway its slowly coming back.

Anyway enough of that more pics

Old 04-15-2015, 04:14 PM

Well that should bring you guys up to speed

Here is where im at and asking for some HELP/advise

Over the last month after the new addition of the goby and new pump (gyre) and maybe even new bio load I've noticed SPS not happy some colonies STN and losing tissue others less polyp extension and just not looking like the pics from few months ago

After testing retesting and looking back at my log book I narrowed it down to a few things

1) flow got crazy high with the new3 pump I changed from 2 mp10s on wave mode to 2mp10s plus gyre and I changed from a lot of wave flow to direct flow resulting in tissue loss on sps in the direct flow

2) sand goby while nice kicked up insane amount on sand in the first few weeks releasing stuff into my water that's hasn't been stirred in over a year that paired with flow probably made the sand storm sand blast that didn't help with tissue loss
3) tho ive done water changes same 2weeks seems tho im not catching up with p04 anymore and probably not changing my GFO fast enough for the new nutrient released from the sand bed

4) I did a full water test after my 2 week 25G WC yesterday and also I pulled out my old nitrate test that hasn't needed to be used for years and Found the problem

Calc-450
Alk-7.5
Mag-1325
Phos-0.20 Hanna (usually 0.10 after 2 weeks ) so this has been slowly rising last month
Nitrate- 30 !!! omg this has been zero for years I stopped testing it now since add of new fish this is 30 bingo

So .. Aside from anther WC on Thursday whats my plan of attack? I slowed the pumps and my next plan is to start carbon dosing with vodka maybe as my current 2 week wc plus GFo and Carbon isn't cutting it

Your help is needed thanks
Craig Dillman