Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-22-2010, 06:21 PM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

Here is the top down pic that I missed yesterday.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:23 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

looks like it doesn't give you alot of swimming room
Old 07-22-2010, 06:44 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

The rock actually looks really nice. Once the coraline starts taking over, it will look really natural.

I do agree that swimming space is limited. If you consider how large some corals will grow, I would suggest using less rock and filling in the space with coral.

I also think you should consider leaving more space between the glass edge and the inner rock. On my new tank, I am planning to leave sufficient space for small corals to groww on the rock facing the glass and still have sufficient space to get a cleaning magnet all the way around the tank.

On my old tank (90G) I have rock touching the glass and I can tell you that it is very difficult to clean in those areas without damaging something. I generally just let the algea grow, but I wish I had enough space to get at the algea.

Just my thoughts ...
Old 07-22-2010, 06:48 PM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road

I love your home made rock. I can't wait to see it in your tank.
Nebthet Special Forces Aqua Division...Codename Nebanatior...Mission: Coral Recovery..... Don't say anymore on this form I've detected a key tap surveillance system ..I think they are on to you.. what hu no.. no....please..
Old 07-22-2010, 08:04 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

looking good so far. I have a sugestion for a tool to help you get things off the bottom of the tank, I ordered a set of forcepts that are 30" long and they work awsome. check with some of the online fresh water planted tank stores. I will try remember where I got them and post the name of the place for you.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:30 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Coooooool! I like the looks of that home made rock. I kinda agree with the others though. There's a little too much rock IMO. When the corals grow in there's not going to be much water left.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I agree with what's been said. The rocks themselves will look naturaly enough in texture at least as time goes on. But that structure looks like it will fill a large portion of the tank if the board are in the correct spot there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
I ordered a set of forcepts that are 30" long and they work awsome. check with some of the online fresh water planted tank stores. I will try remember where I got them and post the name of the place for you.

Steve
Oh yes please do I really want something like that. Are they stainless? The plastic grippers can't yank my algae out and I'd love a pair of these. Sorry for the off-topic post.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:04 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I agree with what's been said. The rocks themselves will look naturaly enough in texture at least as time goes on. But that structure looks like it will fill a large portion of the tank if the board are in the correct spot there...

Oh yes please do I really want something like that. Are they stainless? The plastic grippers can't yank my algae out and I'd love a pair of these. Sorry for the off-topic post.
ok sorry they are hemostats not forcepts.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/24_Cur...p/aquasc09.htm

24" not 30 and yes stainless and they come with removable silicone covers for the jaws.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:51 PM
bvlester

I think it will be fine you can always take some out if you need more space and sell what you take out once Coraline is growing on it your good to go. get some of the money that you put out in making it back so you can buy more corals.

Bill
Old 07-23-2010, 03:02 AM

plutoniumJoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
ok sorry they are hemostats not forcepts.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/24_Cur...p/aquasc09.htm

24" not 30 and yes stainless and they come with removable silicone covers for the jaws.

Steve
Sorry to be off topic but you can get a smaller version at most Fly Tackle shops for around $10. For Vancouverites the flea market on Terminal often has them for about $8.

Love the build so far. I made a good portion of my original rock and now you can hardly tell what was natural and what was man-made. Your recipe looks stronger than mine ended up being.

Foxface, Naso, Coral Beauty, 2 Clowns, 2 Chromis, Orange Anthias, and Striped Goby.