Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Not everyone can afford a pedigree pup. And more often than not the others including the Heinz 57's make a better pet.

Yes we want more puppy pictures. And hope you sell them all off Canreef. :lol

Hope the new litter is doing well and give ginger a pat from me for being an awesome little mommy.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:06 AM

Edmonton newbie is on a distinguished road

i will take my 2 mutts before i would ever want one of those $1000 fancy dogs with all the health problems. The only problem with my 2 are that they have no slowdown buttons. Congrats on the litter hope all goes well
Old 03-18-2010, 03:42 AM

infamous is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on your pups! Not that you even need to hear one more opinion, but I think that what you're doing is great. Making sure to take good care of your pups and ask for some personal experiences is nice. The vet can give you so much info, but sometimes it's nice to hear some tricks and tips that other people may have. Again, congrats on the puppies and I know you are doing your best for them.

As far as all the "critics" go, it's definitely easier for them to stand on their pedestal. I didn't know that coffee discussions were the same as research and actual knowledge. And as far as "breed standards" go, so many of the breeds have been mutilated and changed that they are not even the same as when the breed was first created. The English Bulldog is a prime example of this. So, I'm not sure that Kennel Club Standards are the most positive model to aspire after anymore.

I have 3 dogs that I love very much. One being a rescue, one from a backyard breeder, and one from a registered breeder. They have all turned out to be amazing dogs, but not everybody is so lucky. As it's already been mentioned many times before, there can always be problems no matter where you find your puppy. And as long as we make our choice to be responsible pet owners, and breeders, we can all try to make the world a better place for us.

I also agree to the comment that mentioned 99.99% of us on this site rip critters from the ocean on a daily basis. If you feel that puppies and dogs do not belong in shelters, why do you feel that it's right to own a reef tank? I don't feel that your pedestal is well warranted.

Props to everybody for their positive comments and support. And to Neal, good work and good luck.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:09 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous View Post
So, I'm not sure that Kennel Club Standards are the most positive model to aspire after anymore.
Just so we're clear, I think kennel clubs are the worst thing that ever happened to dogs, exactly for the reasons you stated.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:47 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton newbie View Post
i will take my 2 mutts before i would ever want one of those $1000 fancy dogs with all the health problems. The only problem with my 2 are that they have no slowdown buttons. Congrats on the litter hope all goes well
This is exactly why I paid a thousand for my dog so I would be guaranteed it would not have problems. I had to put my dog before this to sleep at 8 years (hip problems). I now have a dog that is guaranteed to not have those problems as I paid to make sure. So mutts are not always the way to go.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:28 AM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road

Here are some more pics

a nice family portrait

a little porker

Doggy pile

A picture of the runt
Old 03-18-2010, 05:39 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

cute dogs.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:17 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

hey, you mentioned something about the colors, what is the normal color for these dogs? man thats a lot of puupy haha

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin65 View Post
This is exactly why I paid a thousand for my dog so I would be guaranteed it would not have problems. I had to put my dog before this to sleep at 8 years (hip problems). I now have a dog that is guaranteed to not have those problems as I paid to make sure. So mutts are not always the way to go.
If life came with a guarantee always, that would be something. Life does not work that way. So because your dog has this guarantee and something goes wrong do you send it back and get a replacement??? You have chosen a pedigree for personnel reasons. You like the look, breed, whatever helped you decide that a pedigree was your cup of tea. Have owned a pedigree and she was just like every other one in her breed.

My 2 current dogs are mutts. They eat, sleep, play, protect me, bark and **** just like any pedigree pouch does. They may not look like the typical pure bred dog, but they have been wonderful companions and I would not trade them for anything.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:45 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

since this thread was originaly about food, I will go back to that with some general info and and some interesting reading.

this is from a dog board, but very good info.

"ethoxyquin extended the shelf life of pet foods yet it was a high risk preservative. Today, you’ll rarely see ethoxyquin listed on a pet food label. Most pet food manufacturers add natural mixed tocopherols to preserve ingredients. However, because of the likelihood of rancidity of fish meal (ground whole fish and/or fish parts), many fish meal suppliers add ethoxyquin prior to ingredient delivery at the pet food manufacturing plant. And guess what? That ethoxyquin added to the fish meal, because it wasn’t added by the pet food manufacturer, is not required to be listed within the ingredients on the label.

this chemical causes problems including liver, kidney, thyroid and reproductive dysfunction, teratogenic and carcinogenic effects, allergic reactions and a host of skin and hair abnormalities.

As of the writing of this article (9/5/09), the following are the companies that have responded.
Artemis Pet Foods
Per Diamond Pet Food (manufacturer) “all fish meal, ocean fish meal, and salmon meal ingredients are preserved with ethoxyquin.”
Breeders-Choice – AvoDerm Natural Pet Food
“Breeder's Choice does not use ethoxyquin in any of it's foods. However, because it is found in the food chain, trace amounts cannot easily be eliminated.”
Blue Buffalo Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved naturally with Naturox.”
By Nature Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved with natural tocopherols.”
California Natural, Innova, Evo Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved with Vitamin E and mixed tocopherols.”
Canidae/Felidae Pet Foods
Per Diamond Pet Food (manufacturer) “all fish meal, ocean fish meal, and salmon meal ingredients are preserved with ethoxyquin.”
Castor & Pollux Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved with Naturox.”
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Pet Foods
Diamond Pet Foods
Evolve Natural Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved with mixed tocopherols.”
Flint River Ranch Pet Food
“Fish meal is flash frozen until time of manufacturing; no preservative needed.”
Fromm Family Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved with citric acid.”
Kumpi Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved with tocopherols.”
Merrick Pet Foods
“Fish meal preserved with mixed tocopherols.”
Natural Balance Pet Foods
Nature’s Logic Pet Food
“Fish meals are preserved with natural tocopherols and rosemary.”
Newman’s Own Pet Foods
“Fish meals preserved with Vitamin E.”
Petcurean Pet Foods
“Fish Meal is preserved with Vitamin E..”
Premium Edge Pet Foods
Solid Gold Pet Foods
“Fish meal preserved with tocopherols.”
Taste of the Wild Pet Foods
Timberwolf Organics Pet Foods
“Fish meal ingredients are preserved with Vitamin E.”
TLC Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved with tocopherols.”

Many other pet food manufacturers were contacted, no response as of 9/5/09. The holiday weekend could be the delay in their responses.

Fish meals, NOT fish ingredients are a concern with ethoxyquin. As example, ‘salmon’ listed on a pet food label would not be an ethoxyquin preserved ingredient; ‘salmon meal’ might be. The ONLY way to know is to ask the manufacturer specifically. Warning however, some responses I have received did not directly answer my ethoxyquin question. As example, one manufacturer told me “we do not add ethoxyquin to any of our pet foods”. This response does NOT tell me if their supplier might add ethoxyquin. I am waiting for their follow up response."

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.