Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-14-2006, 12:07 PM

Farrmanchu is on a distinguished road

That external Overflow box is the way to go! That's a really clean look, can't wait to see rock in there, it's gonna look like a glass box full of color. Won't take very much aquascaping to conceal intakes and such. That setup is gonna ROCK.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:31 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
Isn't it obvious? He used baby blood.
Won't that lead to iron contamination?
Old 12-16-2006, 04:23 PM

Fish is on a distinguished road

There was a measurement that was out on the tank that interfered with my plumbing plans - Albert has been awesome to deal with and said that he will take the tank back and make it right.
I think that while I'm waiting, I will drill my sump for a bulkhead. It is approx 17gal sump but I need to leave room for water to drain when I shut the pump off so it will only have about 12gals of water in when operating. Do you think this will be ok for a pump rate of 730gph? Or is it too small?
Thanks,

- Chad
Old 12-16-2006, 04:47 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

I'm still wondering what you used on the strainer?
Old 12-16-2006, 05:10 PM

JSTR is on a distinguished road

Chad
I had a mag 5 running in that sump, matter of fact its the same mag that you let Tony get. Never had any real issues with it. Mind you I am kinda use to high evaporation here at my house so I am constantly topping of the tanks.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:17 AM

Tony,
I used Gorilla Glue from Lee Valley on the strainer. That stuff is frightening how strong it holds. There's no info as to whether it's reefsafe or not, because as far as I know, it has never been used by anyone. The whole job probably took 1/4 of a drop of glue.

Thanks Paul good to know, hopefully the extra flow of the Iwaki won't put it over the top. The tank is actually only about 17gals and I just wanted to be sure that it was going to work before I go and drill it.

- Chad
Old 12-17-2006, 05:22 AM

Cool, thanks for the info. I've had trouble bonding ABS type materials before (I ended up needed to use a lot of 2-part epoxy {not the underwater stuff}). I'll have to pick up some of this. For some reason I think I've heard of it but I can't think of what context it was in. I'm sure once it's cured it's probably as reef-safe as anything, one would think anyhow.

What size hole you gonna drill? If you want 1" bulkheads I can lend you my 1-3/4" glass bit if you want. Afraid I only have that and 5/8" (for float valves) so if you want bigger I can't help. Anyhow let me know if you'd like to borrow the 1-3/4" or the 5/8".
Old 12-17-2006, 06:22 AM

woodcarver is on a distinguished road

I think Home Depot carries Gorilla glue as well. I have used it for wood work but found it did not store well after opening so dont get too big a bottle !!
....................Dave
Old 12-17-2006, 03:18 PM

Tony,
Thank you for the offer - actually it is a 3/4" bulkhead. I have never used a proper circular bit before, I've always used a dremmle with a diamond bit before and that is probably what I'm gonna do this time.

- Chad
Old 01-01-2007, 03:32 AM

Update:

I am still waiting for the new tank to be finished but I came across something that I found 'interesting'. An online company is using a photo of my 12" cube to advertise on their website:

http://ac-nc.com/Saltwater_Aquarium_Products.htm

The funny thing about it, is that is probably the worst picture I took of that tank - it was back when I first set it up and the corals had not yet filled in, and I had not moved it to the hole in the top of the desk so it is leaning against the wall, half off the desk. The moral of the story: Don't trust what you see on the internet, anyone can copy and paste and make themselves look like a legitamate business.

Here is the email I sent them:
Hello,
It has been brought to my attention that you are using a photo of an aquarium, that I "Designed : Built : Maintained" to advertise on your site. The fact that you are using it for a commercial venture without getting permission or giving proper recognition, bothers me a great deal. This is the photo in question:

http://ac-nc.com/images/Products_1.jpg

I took that picture while the tank was temporarily against a wall and it doesn't even look as good as the tank did when it was set up properly - I seriously doubt that any benefit derived from the false advertising will outweigh the negative attention it will get in my different threads online.

True to my word,

- Chad