Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-21-2011, 09:33 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Yes, I have not stopped running carbon since I fired up this tank over two years ago. As tony said, Carbon and BioPellets serve two completely different purposes. One is not a substitute for the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
...Kien where are my cookies, I seem to recall being part of this "Baking Soda Plan".

Laurier have you tried the zeovit LPS supplement? My acans exploded when I started dosing that, I would start slow though if you are going to try as it will add extra nutrients.
I've got your "cookies" right here big boy!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:22 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

K guys so here is where I am getting confused

Aren't biopellets basically a source of vodka dosing which would mean it is a source of carbon dosing since the only product in vodka that your using is ethanol and ethanol is carbon based. I am just wondering how two sources of carbon can preform two seperate tasks

worse case, couldn't I run both in the same reactor? The amount of media I use on this system is small so it would fit in a TLF 150

Last edited by lorenz0; 01-21-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:36 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Totally different things that just happen to have the word "carbon" in their names.

Carbon aka charcoal is a porous substance and happens to be really good absorbant of other materials. Once it's done absorbing "stuff" though then the pores are clogged and it cannot absorb any more.

Carbon DOSING is a generic term used to reference things like vodka or vinegar or sugar (or combinations thereof) as a source at molecules that involve carbon to be used as a food source or input for metabolic processes that also happen to consume nitrates and/or phosphates as part of the chemical/biological processes.

Biopellets are intended as a convenient method for carbon dosing because whatever polymer they are made of is carbon based and is also porous - but instead of being good for absorbing stuff, the pores are good for creating large surface area for bacteria to colonize. So bacteria feed on the pellets and in process of doing so consumes nitrate and to a smaller degree phosphates out of the water column. The "tumbling" of the pellets ensures that excess bacteria sloughs off, which is thought to be used by filter feeders but in general really requires mostly to be skimmed out (and they do skim out nicely - skimmate production does increase after starting pellets).

You wouldn't want to run them together in the same reactor as they have different lifespans. Pellets could last you months - carbon (depending on the amount you use per system volume) needs to be changed out every 2 to 4 weeks.

Last edited by Delphinus; 01-21-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:46 PM

I can see what your saying. Sorry chemisty always gets me going.

But on a side note, I did my waterchange and everyone is looking great. I'm adding a skimmer to the mix this weekend. So just one thing at a time. But the acan garden is looking amazing
Old 01-22-2011, 12:05 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I agree with your approach. And the Acans do look awesome.

Sorry if I missed it but what was your reasoning for thinking you had a nutrient issue? Is it a high NO3 reading? If so what was it (and sorry if that was posted already)?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:45 AM

Just judging by the aftermath after dosing acan plus. This is why I am adding a skimmer first, see the effects on the tank with skimming and maybe down the road add the biopellets. My load is a bit heavy
Old 01-22-2011, 02:34 AM

Oh ok - I didn't realize you didn't have a skimmer. Yeah get the skimmer first. That might be good enough. Definitely don't run pellets until after the skimmer though - they shed a mulm which can be taken up by some things but not all of it would get consumed and thus they'd just break down and re-release the NO3/PO4 back into the water ... which can't be good.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:06 AM

Well I can't sleep so I have a few pic's from a week ago, before I added this massive frogspawn

So my LPS craze is coming to a closure... I miss SPS.... ALOT! So this weekend the trial will start. Plan on adding a stag or some acropora of some sort to see how it deals with my system. If all goes will I will be parting with the torch and the hammer as they are taking up perfect SPS territory. but here are some pic's from lately

And If you noticed in my FTS, an impulse buy exsist's. Last Friday I had this great idea to buy a lionfish. Well without reading up on the species I brought him home only to find out how large he gets. Yep he may be ok in the system now but for sure will need a larger home in the future. Got it eating krill but tonight is the last of him in the tank. Poor guy, I really like him but I just can't give him the proper home.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:48 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

Nice tank. What size system does the lionfish need?
Old 02-04-2011, 01:52 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

They get 12"+ but arent big swimmers. Bare minimum IMO is a 90g with a 120 being better and a 180 best.

Did you get him from Red Coral?