Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-17-2010, 04:28 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Took some new photos of the zoa tank and the main tank, actinics are the only things on so everything is a little blue washed. My Bi-Color made my radiant wrasse jump , I was going to make a lid tomorrow but I guess it's a learning lesson.

FTS:

Couple others:

New Monti

Last edited by Zoaelite; 11-25-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:29 AM

Can't forget the zoas:

Last edited by Zoaelite; 07-19-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:32 AM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

It sucks about the fish... I'm making a lid right now... I'll post some pics on my thread on Sunday. I love your tank man... some of the fish look a little odd with only the antics on... But the Bangaii look killer
Old 07-17-2010, 04:36 AM

I also made up a batch of fish and coral food last night with a few new ingredients, looking for a little insight as I added a bunch (Over 175g) of Multi greens herb supplement. Here are the ingredients:

Anyone see anything that could be dangerous? I fed a whack load of it last night and everything went crazy (Including one chalice that never exhibits a feeding responce ).

Also added into the mix was:
2 lbs Muscles
2 lbs Manilla Clams
15 Giant Shrimp
7 Large Oysters
4 Minced Carrots
1 Half Head Broccoli
1 Bottle Selcon
1 Bottle SeaChem Amino acid supplement
2 Bottles of Coral food soak
1 Half Bottle Reefroids
1 Half Bottle freeze dried phyto
Old 07-23-2010, 04:02 AM

Few new photos:

Last edited by Zoaelite; 07-24-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:03 AM

Last edited by Zoaelite; 07-24-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:17 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

That is one beautiful looking tank. Any updates on how the multi greens are working out?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:52 AM

TheKid is on a distinguished road

In post 95 what are the zoas in the 1st pic and are the red ones in the third last pic lunar eclipses if so mine don't look as bright as that!

~*~*Stefan*~*~
Formally known as Svaningen
35 gallon Red Sea Max
Only 16 years old!!!!
CALL AFTER 3:00 ON WEEKDAYS. 604 782 3313
Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebae again View Post
That is one beautiful looking tank. Any updates on how the multi greens are working out?
Thank you! So far so good with the greens, still exhibiting a great feeding response but it's a little early to tell if I will put it into the next batch.

I also started dosing sponge power and Pohs coral vitalizer but I think I shocked my tank a little. Had some burnt tips and lost half of my giant green monti, but I have a feeling it had something to do with my skimmer and pellet reactor. Don't know how long this was going on for but my pellet reactor stopped tumbling and all the pellets fussed together into one mass (Which I believe might of released some Hydrogen Sulfide), of course at the same time my skimmer air intake clogged with salt. Both of these compounded with my over dosing of zeovit to damage some of my SPS but everyone is coming back nicely after fixing the problems and slowing down on the Zeo.

Quote:
In post 95 what are the zoas in the 1st pic and are the red ones in the third last pic lunar eclipses if so mine don't look as bright as that!
The first pick zoas are Miami Hurricanes, they come in a few color morphs but I have never found anything as vivid as these ones (Courtesy of Red Coral).

Lunar eclipse palys are called Lunars because they have a bright red fringe with a black center, these ones are a solid red color throughout.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:04 PM

Sometimes this hobby drives me crazy, pinpointing the problem causer in a tank full of variables has left me exhausted and little worn down . Any extra insight to what's causing my RTS/ STN and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated!

About 2 weeks before I started feeding my new food I had the tips of around 4 different SPS bleach on me, all my levels seemed to be in check so I did a water change and purchased some new carbon. A few days later I discovered that my skimmer air intake had plugged, my Phosban reactor intake had plugged and my biopellets had conjoined into one mass in the reactor (Talk about things compounding fast). I fixed all of those problems but I was a little too late and my giant green monti cap bleached in patches and then pretty much RTN'd. I did a few more water changes and let the tank sit for a few days.

After about 4 days of not touching anything I re-tested my water to find the following parameters:

Salinity- 1.025
pH- 8.0
Temp- 81 degrees
Ca- 440ppm
Alk- 5 DKH
Nitrate- 20ppm
Phosphate-??? (API need's to get a better kit because trying to tell the different between Light clear green and lighter clear green is a waste of my time...)

In trying to correct the 5 DKH I totally miscalculated how much baking soda to add and somehow spiked my ALK to 14 (Yes keep reading to see how I pretty much destroy my tank ). Around the same time I also started dosing the Prodibio Reef booster supplement along with Sponge power and Pohs coral vitalizer. So now I have been doing diluted water changes to bring it back down to an acceptable level but have practically screwed my water parameters. Surprisingly most of the SPS seemed to get a color boost but now I'm battling STN/ RTN from the base of my corals (On 4 new acros).

To compound my confusion my brother was nice enough to come over today and test my water with his kits. Between our 4 different ALK test kits I have a reading of 7,9,10 and 11...

My zoas which I use as an ALK barometer have not been phased by any of this (Actually 2 colonies that were on the melt have since stopped).

My Chalice collection is all doing very well with the exception of 2, 1 because of strings from a neighboring coral and the other had lost a very small amount of tissue.

The fish are plump and fat as always, even more confusing is that the initial 4 SPS that had tip burn have stopped burning and are making a slow recovery.

Here are some photos of the colonies bleaching from the base up, should I be fragging these up? Would a dip help them out? I have the option of bringing them over to my brothers tank, anyone have experience with moving an SPS that has STN?

Last edited by Zoaelite; 08-02-2010 at 10:09 PM.