Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-10-2009, 11:48 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
You're right, a 20 gal tank is no place for a tang, but the idea of putting a Tang into a tank full of fish without being quarantined first scares the crap out of me. Tangs and Butterflies are at the top of the ich-magnet list.
Going into a new tank, with strange fish is stressful too; whether as much as being in a 20 gal tank, I don't know. Any other thoughts on this?

I dunno, I added a copperband butterfly to my 75G, and he settled it pretty quick. I don't believe in QTing, everytime you have to catch the fish, I believe that adds more stress (plus ANOTHER move) than just adding them to the display in the first place.

I think with 225G of space, a tang could settle in fairly well.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 02-10-2009, 11:53 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andestang View Post
Tank is looking good. Glad your winning with the HA. How are your peppermints doing with your Falco ?
Thanks. Peppermints aren't in the display; they're in the fuge. 'Cuz if the Falco didn't get them the newly arriving Tuskfish surely would.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:34 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Lookin good That tang is beautiful.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:56 AM

Default My New Pride & Joy

I spent too much money on this guy, but he's worth every cent. My new Aussie Harlequin Tuskfish.

He's about 6" long and already cruising the tank and eating. The other fish were a little freaked for awhile, but have since calmed down. He's not bothering anything so far; has left the snails alone. No shrimp in this tank, keep them in the sump.

Unbelievably colourful. He is definitely the showpiece fish in this tank. Look at those teeth.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:15 AM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

Cool, I may just have to set up my 180 so I can keep pace with you! The wife really wants an Emperor Angel so that should be an easy sell Any more additions planned or is this going to be it for livestock?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish55 View Post
Cool, I may just have to set up my 180 so I can keep pace with you! The wife really wants an Emperor Angel so that should be an easy sell Any more additions planned or is this going to be it for livestock?
After I move the Coral Beauty and SF Tang from the 90g over and the Chocolate Tang from QT, that's it for awhile.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:34 PM

Unhappy Uh-Oh!

Dammit! I knew I was looking for trouble and I found it. My new Harlequin Tuskfish has Ich and he's in the main tank.

I had been looking for an Aussie Tuskfish and a Chocolate Tang, and had put the word out to several suppliers. As luck would have it, two different suppliers came up with the two fish within days of each other. I didn't want to quarantine two large fish in a 20 gal QT at the same time, (figured that was asking for trouble) so I decided to put the Tang in the QT and the Tusker in the display. I was uncomfortable with this as I always quarantine new fish but Tuskfish are supposedly quite hardy, and I thought it was the better choice of the two, as Tangs are such Ich magnets. He looked great, nice colour, fat and healthy with no signs of disease. So now I have a $200 fish with Ich in my tank! In hindsight, I should have turned down one of the fish but I felt guilty refusing one after they brought them in specially for me.

There's far too many fish to remove and quarantine. I've just done a 25% water change and siphoned most of the substrate out. I'll run a diatom frequently and up the dosage of garlic and Selcon. He only has a few spots on him and none of the other fish show signs yet. Hopefully I get through this without any casualties and just live with Ich in the tank. What do you guys with large tanks and lots of fish do when Ich appears? I could hook-up a UV sterlizer I guess. If worst comes to worst and the Ich becomes a real problem I'll have to buy a larger QT and remove all the fish. Suggestions? Anything else I can do?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:44 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

I would just run the garlic like crazy and not suck out the sand Lance. Its there to late you will have to deal with it now man.. lay the garlic to the food like crazy. your skimmer wont like it but hey oh well
Old 02-16-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
I would just run the garlic like crazy and not suck out the sand Lance. Its there to late you will have to deal with it now man.. lay the garlic to the food like crazy. your skimmer wont like it but hey oh well
Most of the substrate is already gone. There was very little anyway. I figured with no sand the little buggers may be easier to siphon out with the diatom filter.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:20 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Dammit! I knew I was looking for trouble and I found it. My new Harlequin Tuskfish has Ich and he's in the main tank.

I had been looking for an Aussie Tuskfish and a Chocolate Tang, and had put the word out to several suppliers. As luck would have it, two different suppliers came up with the two fish within days of each other. I didn't want to quarantine two large fish in a 20 gal QT at the same time, (figured that was asking for trouble) so I decided to put the Tang in the QT and the Tusker in the display. I was uncomfortable with this as I always quarantine new fish but Tuskfish are supposedly quite hardy, and I thought it was the better choice of the two, as Tangs are such Ich magnets. He looked great, nice colour, fat and healthy with no signs of disease. So now I have a $200 fish with Ich in my tank! In hindsight, I should have turned down one of the fish but I felt guilty refusing one after they brought them in specially for me.

There's far too many fish to remove and quarantine. I've just done a 25% water change and siphoned most of the substrate out. I'll run a diatom frequently and up the dosage of garlic and Selcon. He only has a few spots on him and none of the other fish show signs yet. Hopefully I get through this without any casualties and just live with Ich in the tank. What do you guys with large tanks and lots of fish do when Ich appears? I could hook-up a UV sterlizer I guess. If worst comes to worst and the Ich becomes a real problem I'll have to buy a larger QT and remove all the fish. Suggestions? Anything else I can do?

Live with it. Healthy fish will not die of ich. I know so many people now with large tanks, many large fish and most have ich in the tank. I have had ich in my tanks for years now and never lost a fish excpet in QT.

My Tusk still has some ich but long as he is eating, not rubbing and acting normal, he is fine.

You will notice break outs will become less and less severe as time goes on. Eventually they just kind of show up for a day or two here and there.

I think your on the right track though. I would try to get the tank stocked relatively soon and then do not add more fish. Just let them deal with the ich thats there. If you keep adding fish, you will generally see flare ups each time the new guy goes in.

Good luck!