Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-14-2015, 04:28 AM

kamloops_reefer is on a distinguished road

I'd say more than half of the people in the hobby aren't ask knowledgeable as some of you experienced and knowledgable people. Saltwater take patience and a thorough understanding of what to do and what not to do.

all too often, 4 months later - people sell their tanks because it looks like crap, and they don't want to commit the time it takes to update it. these are probably the same people who left television raise their children

another thing - of those that give up, and even those that truck along... probably half of them are cheap.....I can sense people who are cheap and more of a pain in the butt than anything - even on these boards (I'll keep those names to myself)

Kudos to the stores who are patient and spend the time educating newbies. from time to time we stop in at oceanic corals, because that was the store we went to, they helped us out - and I like to return favors, so .... I buy stuff.... even when I don't need to.

aquattro you send ****ed off and grumpy like me. Perhaps we need to have a beer next time I'm in victoria visiting my father try not to let them get the better of you
Old 02-14-2015, 04:48 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamloops_reefer View Post

aquattro you send ****ed off and grumpy like me.
Not at all, it's just that rude and cheap annoy me, and I get vocal about it at times (like whenever I'm awake).
I get that some people need help in the beginning, and sometimes you want to double check your own readings that don't make sense. But if you're in this hobby, there are things you should own. Test kits are one of them. The LFS doesn't give you free heaters or salt, why are they giving free test kits, one test at a time.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:24 AM

jhj0112 is on a distinguished road

For me, I just can't see myself taking sample water, driving to LFS with my daughters and waiting for the staff to test it...

If I wanna know anything about my tanks ( I have 3 FW and 2 SW), I gotta know now....

this hobby is expensive and I really want to save money (who doesn't?) but this hobby probably isn't for you if you can't spend money on decent test kit...

you can lose a lot more money by not spending small cost on the test kit

My 2cents..

plus it's a good education tool for my 9 yrs old daughter lol
Old 02-14-2015, 03:03 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamloops_reefer View Post
Kudos to the stores who are patient and spend the time educating newbies. from time to time we stop in at oceanic corals, because that was the store we went to, they helped us out - and I like to return favors, so .... I buy stuff.... even when I don't need to.
+1. If I had an LFS, for sure I would be trying really hard to help out newbies. That's just good business.

Still remember not that long ago (2010) when I inherited a salt water tank with the house we bought (how I got into this crazy hobby). If it wasn't for the LFS in Langley (Nick at the old Fishworld) I probably would have had a tank crash in short order. And he asked (I never asked him) me to bring in water samples. I think I only did that once or twice, and quickly became self sufficient with my own testing. And yes, I bought a lot of stuff from him (until he went out of business).

I first thought Brad was joking (can't tell with him sometimes) with this thread, but now that it seems to be serious, thought I would give my opinion (again,... haha).

And oh, I do use API for some of my more frequent tests where granularity is not that critical and/or the parameter is consistently at the extreme good side. But I do have the more expensive ones, too, to crosscheck if there is any doubt. Saves a lot of bucks.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:26 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
If it wasn't for the LFS in Langley (Nick at the old Fishworld) I probably would have had a tank crash in short order. And he asked (I never asked him) me to bring in water samples. I think I only did that once or twice, and quickly became self sufficient with my own testing. And yes, I bought a lot of stuff from him (until he went out of business).
And this is a perfectly normal progression. You didn't say "hey, they'll do this for free, I don't ever have to buy kits". You used a service, they got a loyal customer, you went on to be self sufficient. All is well in the world.

Oh, and i never joke...(hardly ever).
Old 02-14-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Oh, and i never joke...(hardly ever).
And pigs fly,... haha.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:40 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
And pigs fly,... haha.
Fine. You got me
Old 02-14-2015, 03:50 PM

I do agree with your overall premise, though, ie moochers are not cool. Getting a good deal is one thing, but trying to take advantage is another...
Old 02-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
I do agree with your overall premise, though, ie moochers are not cool. Getting a good deal is one thing, but trying to take advantage is another...
What has really spawned this is long running pet peeve with a guy that was at my house trying to screw me for frags. While he was trying to get free frags out of me, we're talking, and he explains how he doesn't need to buy this and that, since he can borrow stuff, use the LFS's good nature, etc. So every time I read someone suggesting that one should just expect the LFS to provide free time and materials, it sets me off. Hell, most things set me off - lol I just filter most of it