Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 03:34 PM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

Agreed. I grew up in a family aquarium business. Each sale's contribution margins are good, variable costs are manageable, but the problem is the labor + overhead. I think folks can be surprised that the mark up on livestock can be 5x to 3x the cost, but it's the overhead of utilities, labor effort, lease & property etc that is not apparent. If there's not enough volume of sales/transactions, the overhead is not spread out enough on a per sale basis to keep each sale in the black.

In a city of about 80K people, it would be a very small niche market that would be marine focused. I'd think for any aquarium store to be sustainably profitable in such a small city, they'd have to be an overall good aquarium shop with lots of freshwater & specialty items to realize the life time value of each customer as they go from a starter 10 gallon freshwater tank... to their 3rd & 4th tank... to conversion to SW etc...
Old 12-21-2014, 08:23 PM

GrimReefer is on a distinguished road

To be clear, I'm not planning on shutting the store down. I do not want to abandon our clients who helped build the business, many of whom I consider friends. I would like to find a hobbyist to take the reigns and do well with it. It's not like there isn't room for improvement either. I just simply don't have the time anymore to balance Blue World, Bluefish, and family.
Closed Thread