Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-02-2014, 06:08 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I agree, look at it as an opportunity to improve on what you have. If you truly enjoy the hobby, you will not quit. Crap happens, and all you can do is deal with it, and maybe learn something that will help you going forward. Good luck with the recovery.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:17 PM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

I had this happen as well and feel your pain. I was able to save some pieces of the corals so just replaced what was lost and kept going.
Keep doing what you can and save as much as possible.Then decide later if you are going to quit.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:19 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
I agree, look at it as an opportunity to improve on what you have. If you truly enjoy the hobby, you will not quit. Crap happens, and all you can do is deal with it, and maybe learn something that will help you going forward. Good luck with the recovery.
+1

Anybody who has been in the hobby experiences this at one point or another just view it as an opportunity to improve or re-aquascape your tank
Old 02-03-2014, 04:24 PM

dudley moray is on a distinguished road

I learned that lesson once too now the only nems I keep are bubble tips
I don't keep hawk fishes anymore either but that's another story !
Good luck brother stay positive
Old 02-03-2014, 05:55 PM

Wildechild_01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley moray View Post
I learned that lesson once too now the only nems I keep are bubble tips
I don't keep hawk fishes anymore either but that's another story !
Good luck brother stay positive
I'm curious why no Hawk Fish.. I love Hawk Fish, but if they are a No No for my rebuild that would be good to know...
Old 02-03-2014, 07:19 PM

dudley moray is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildechild_01 View Post
I'm curious why no Hawk Fish.. I love Hawk Fish, but if they are a No No for my rebuild that would be good to know...
I had one once named 'im Hudson hawkefish chased all fish out (literarily out onto the floor) of the tank took him back to the lfs they ended up having to put him in with a couple black tip reef sharks cause he did the same to all their fish
Old 02-03-2014, 08:39 PM

Llewos is on a distinguished road

A lot of people have experienced the same thing! I have lost 2 BTA's and a really cool blue carpet anemone (and carpets usually don't move. It decided to puff up and float around the tank before getting sucked up!) I currently don't have anemones mostly for this reason but you will regret leaving the hobby! My advice, for what its worth, is try another coral that clowns like hosting that give the same motion, ie: elegance, torch, frogspawn, hammer, etc. These will all stay where you put them and most clowns eventually host them. Some prefer them, some wont touch them. Good luck!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:58 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

My BTAs have split a number of times with the last episode being a quadruple split. They've all migrated from the area the original has been in for 6 years! 3 of them not too far, but one is now on another pile of rockwork, populated by some coral I'm not too keen on losing. Such is the hobby though & fortune is somewhat with me as I also have VorTechs. Luckily the clones didn't float away & get caught in any of them. I wouldn't be too quick to blame the VorTech itself, if a nem starts floating around the way yours probably did, any powerhead could end up sucking it into its intake. I had a lawnmower blenny get caught on the intake of an Aquaclear powerhead years ago. Put one of the large filter cylinders on that ph after the fact, too late for the blenny though.

If you're keen on keeping sps long term, it's probably best not to have anemones in the same tank. I like mine though & am prepared to take the chance with my coral. Only a few sps pieces, mostly soft & lps, so investment is not that high $ wise. Best of luck with your scenario, keep at it. Seems like you enjoy the hobby enough that if you did throw in the towel, you may regret that more.

Last edited by mike31154; 02-03-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:09 PM

hfp75 is on a distinguished road

Super frustrating... its a real downer.....

what type of Nem and how long had it suffered from suicidal thoughts ?

Old 02-02-2014, 06:40 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Oh that sucks , But if you truly love the hobby, learn from what has happened and move forward. yes it's an expensive loss, but it is what it is.
Vortech good quality yes, but the open front end of the wet side steered me away from using them. If you have to use sponge guards to keep the critters out you might as well go with an in tank pump IMO.
Stay with it you'll be glad you did.