Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 09-28-2013, 02:58 AM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road

Figured it out... had to use the Apex Browse Utility to find change the address to 192.168.1.xxx format. You are able to change it by plugging the ethernet cable directly into the computer, phew.

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 09-28-2013, 02:59 AM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

Keep us posted, I'd like to know if the asus maintains a good signal, I'm tired of rebooting my linksys, sometimes 3 times a day.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:58 AM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

The ASUS is a rock solid unit with stock firmware. Over the years I've become somewhat of an ASUS fanboy, as all of the hardware has been ultra reliable for me.

Cal_stir, depending on what model Linksys you have, many of the WRT54G series routers are very popular to update with DD-WRT -- it's a 3rd party firmware that turns a crummy router into a not so crummy router. Depending on how techy you are, it may interest you
Old 09-28-2013, 12:10 PM

Mine is not on the compatibility list, but I might try it just before I go out and buy an Asus, then if it crashes, no biggy.
This linksys runs really, really hot, I've got it on a laptop cooling pad that helps a bit.

Last edited by Cal_stir; 09-28-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:51 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

for most of the routers there is a fix that was mentioned, the channel you are on, get a program like inSSIDer, it will show you all the channels being used in your area and signal strength. for me after 5 years of fighting (and 4 routers later) I finally can watch movies on netflix. I changed my channel, moved the location of my wireless router, went to a more narrow band in the router settings and then finally I changed my wireless protocol from b,g,n to just g.

I did a lot of reading out there and so many routers and adapters don't handle n very well.

now I have 3 routers that are perfectly good, i just didn't know how to apply custom settings before.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:35 PM

The router works OK, fast and good range compared to my old netgear, but I have to reboot it at least once a day, so I have a timer to do it at night but still have to reboot often.
I googled it and I'm not the only one rebooting this router, a lot of complaints out there.