Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 09-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road
Default Injuries cause buy your tank

Sliced open my wrist pretty good Christmas morning while cutting glass to build my nano tank. Told my wife the blood everywhere was just food colouring that I spilt and she bought it

Also numerous cuts from exacting knives white cutting tanks apart to replace glass on them

Then there's all the fish related injuries

My 3' long bamboo shark decided to eat my hand

My 8" sailfin tang sliced open my wrist

And a 4" orange shoulder speared me 6 times while trying to revive him because he stopped breathing after a medication dip as a last effort to save him (he's still alive today and I still hate him)
Old 09-09-2013, 08:51 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Worst injury thus far has been when my hand was paralyzed from an unknown source either debris or coral sting

Bristle worm quills really hurt too

Electrical fire in T5 lights

Sliced my hand on dead brain coral really hurt too
Old 09-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Feet got wet when my 220g blew and ran through the kitchen to grab buckets and towels from the sunroom. Never made it cause as soon as very wet feet running at full speed touch tile in the kitchen, the lack of friction caused me to fly through the air and hit the back door with my butt around doorknob height. My feet touched around the ceiling. Then gravity came into play and I came down with a BANG on the same hard tile floor, knocking my right arm out of commission. Always good to be one-armed when dealing with a 300 gallon gusher in the livingroom.

As for the electrical shocks, I actually kinda like that buzzing, tingling feeling. Yesterday as I was setting up my new frag system in the sump, I noticed the water in the sump was electrified. Pulled each pull out one at a time (about 18 altogether) and of course it was the last one. Pull one - stick finger into sump - feel the buzz - dry hand and pull next plug. Finally solved it and now its all good.

The very worse pain I've ever felt in my life (not just fish related) was when my 12-14" Volitan lionfish swam under my hand while I was cleaning the glass with a scrubber pad. I used to hand feed it so it thought I was giving it a smelt or piece of squid. I had shooed it away with the net but then a fish jumped in another tank and when I looked over to see if the fish was carpet surfing or the glass lid was broken, the Volitan swam under and I got TWO poison-filled dorsal spines into my middle finger on my right hand. Eventually hurt enough I was screaming at my brother to cut off my arm before the poison hit my internal organs as the pain travelled up my arm. Fortunately he ran away yelling and I still have both arms today So, yeah, the pain was so great that if I had to interrogate a terrorist, I would threaten him with a big lionfish
Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road
Default Crash

While Cleaning a 8' long tank that was in a wall for someone the tank had not been cleaned in over two months I had a good crash. There was so much crap in the back room that you clean the tank from you could not even set up a ladder to Reach in the tank. Instead you'd stand on a 3 inch wide ledge. Long story short ledge got wet I slipped dislocated shoulder And caught the head of a screw on my way down on my stomach and cut it open about 6 inches. Never cleaned that tank again lol.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 PM

Stinktooth is on a distinguished road

In about February I was walking outside while carrying egg crate. I had my fingers thru individual holes on one hand and slipped on the ice. Everyone of my fingers on my right hand was sliced open and gushing blood.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:18 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Oh man, I've had a few good ones along the way...

1) Had my first run in with a hammer coral during the first couple of months in the hobby (was actually looking after a friend's tank). While I was cleaning the tank the hammer was going all sweeper happy, which of course wrapped around my hand. Didn't think anything of it at the time but an hour later I had 4 blistered lash marks around my hand that stayed for almost 1.5 months - last time I had a marine sting like that was when I got tangled up in a lion's man jelly while diving. Surprised a hammer could still like that? I sure as hell was! I handled that hammer many times after and never had that happen again.

2) I have a handy-dandy foot switch for turning a pump on and off in my water change bucket so that I don't have to lift big buckets of water. Stick the hose in the tank, tap the footswitch and fill. Easy as pie. That is until you're not paying attention, pour a gallon of saltwater on the footswitch, zap the **** out of yourself and, in the process of falling backward, spray gallons of saltwater around the living room because the pump is still running. Footswitch is now waterproof with a killswitch...

3) Too many bristleworm encounters to count, but I'll always remember the epic wrestling match with a 12" bristle worm who refused to let go of the rock (I picked a 5 lb rock up out of the tank using the worm). When he finally let go of the rock, I lost my grip on him and he flipped back and landed in the rubber glove I was wearing. He was laughing but I got the last laugh as he swirled around the porcelain fish tank.

4) Sliced my hand open on fresh cut glass.

5) While screwing my new DIY LED fixture together my screw driver slipped and stabbed me in the hand.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:55 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

oh i like that foot-switch idea! sorry to hear you got zapped (unless you enjoy it like anthony?)
Old 09-10-2013, 02:15 AM

neoh is on a distinguished road

Hm. I'm pretty careful when I'm around my fish tanks. Though a hammer did sting me once while I was cleaning the glass. It was uncomfortable, but I wouldn't really classify it as an injury!

I like the stories, though. I've heard that the Lion fish poison is excruciating.. that really sucks, Anthony.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:59 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Injured pride here too

Right after our new carpet was installed, I tested my brand-new sump and a bulkhead leaked quite a bit of RO on the floor
Had to tear down the sump room to roll back and dry out the carpet, underlay and ply floor

At least it wasn't salty
Old 09-10-2013, 03:20 AM

Phil is on a distinguished road

My wallet