Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-05-2004, 11:33 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Azilla, It's quite normal to have this problem with such a young tank. Both mine went through it. It doesn't look as bad as mine. My second tank is just finishing it's bad bloom and now it is clean as a whistle. My suggestion is to blow it off your corals and put some pressure on the people you bought the skimmer from to get it to you faster. this is just part of the maturation period of your tank and will pass.

Jason
Old 07-05-2004, 11:34 PM

Azilla is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Azilla

LMAO man i bought that skimmer in march and now its July. I dont think im getting it or my money back. But thanks guys ill keep fighting it just seem like the more i clean the more it spreads.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:47 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Feel like sharing who you purchased it from?

I know how you feel. It's just such a horrible mess, but it will go away

J
Old 07-06-2004, 12:49 AM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

As AJ_77 states"allow it to run its course". It is very common to get Cyano in new tanks. It appears to feed on some unknown nutrient produced by new tanks. Once it has run its course it will disappear. If you can't stand the look you could get Chemiclean. That worked well for me and others. Contrary to common belief it is not caused bt Phosphates, and a skimmer will not help.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 07-06-2004, 01:21 AM

klam is on a distinguished road
Default red slime

Azilla
I am getting the same problem like yours. My 90 gal new tank has been running for about 2 months. since the last several weeks, those red slime macro algae are growing very fast. Even though I change water in the Morning with RO water, it will come right back at the evening.
Someone from Gold Aquarium told me to setup a Refuge tank. I am not sure whether it will do the work or not. I am still searching for the article to talk about this problem. Does anyone whether setting up the refuge tank solve this problem?

Ky
Old 07-06-2004, 01:33 AM

Naw i have a fuge running it isnt doing nothing for me. But as all my Buds here at canreef say ill let it do its thing ill just worry about my corals and care for them and keep my glass clean.
Thank you all so much for the response and help on yet another subjet.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderWorldAquatics
send me your address and Ill greyhound ship you some algone, it will take care of it very nicely.... ask reefhawk, worked for him too....
the algone is on me, you just need to cover the shipping, Ill send it collect, should be a couple bucks max....

I agree with others that you need to address the cause of the problem, but this will solve the unsightly part of your dilema for you...

let me know....
You have a PM THANKS
Old 07-06-2004, 02:59 AM

Mother Reefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_I
Contrary to common belief it is not caused bt Phosphates, and a skimmer will not help.
If not phosphates then what? There are many reasons out there but I'm not sure I'd agree with all of them

I personally think my recent outbreak was due to my not changing in lights soon enough. I've heard it could be caused by low circulation but IME that (circulation) caused me hair algae and once increased the circulation the h.a. disappeared so I'm not sure I'd blame circulation as often as it's blamed.

If your tank is new then that could be the problem, since I've never experienced this I can't say if I'd use anything (because I'm not sure it would keep it away) or wait it out, best take advise from those who've experienced this.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:44 AM

kris_willard is on a distinguished road

I had an out break in my 90gal that was as bad if not worse and i dosed poly ox by Kent Marine and it was gone in just over a week. Now im on to the hair alge... the battle pushes on.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:58 AM

reefhawk is on a distinguished road

had the same problem. Ran int kyle one day and he said hey try this algone, it will fix it. I thought how can it be that easy when i have seen so many posts with tanks suffering the same ordeal. I thought for $5.00 how can i go wrong if it even helps a little i will be happy. It was like magic it cleared up in like 3 or 4 days and i could'nt believe it. Give it a try.