Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 03-23-2013, 02:26 AM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
One calculation issue here, where does $1,000 NET profit come from a GHL ProfiLux controller sale come from based on 50 sales = $50,000?

GHL is a global product, if they felt it was worth it they would do it, they are not blind to Mac users there just simply is not the global user base there is with Microsoft to make the expense worth it.
You said "would GHL get $50,000 of sales for this development"... I'm not in the retail industry so I did not know that meant profit.

I know GHL knows what it is doing - they make great computers - but that doesn't mean they are above critique and that every business decision they make is the right one. In my view, in order to stay competitive a business needs to invest in its product. Even if that investment does not immediately result in profit, it will keep their product competitive with others in the industry and at least sustain current profit levels.

I know you are not really part of GHL, so I'm not being critical of you at all.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:51 AM
Islander

reeferfulton is on a distinguished road

In my opinion .

They will have have to fix this issue with windows 8 . This light just launched . so if they intend on being around and supporting they will have to bite the bullet . With the way people upgrade computers these days . it wont be long till there are many people with this same issue ..

If i had to guess its just a matter of time before the new software is written to fix this issue .

I im baffled beyond belief that a 1200 dollar Computer controlled light that just came out wont hook up to a 300 dollar laptop .....

rant to be continued lol

side not .. love the light otherwise so far
Old 03-23-2013, 11:21 AM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferfulton View Post
In my opinion .

They will have have to fix this issue with windows 8 . This light just launched . so if they intend on being around and supporting they will have to bite the bullet . With the way people upgrade computers these days . it wont be long till there are many people with this same issue ..

If i had to guess its just a matter of time before the new software is written to fix this issue .

I im baffled beyond belief that a 1200 dollar Computer controlled light that just came out wont hook up to a 300 dollar laptop .....

rant to be continued lol

side not .. love the light otherwise so far
The issue as I said before is with windows, GHL can not fix a windows issue, however just like other companies they are looking for work around yes, and as proven many many Win8 users are happily using the software without issue, so that alone shows you its not a GHL issue.

How can GHL write a fix for every laptop out there that uses a different driver set for windows 8 because windows 8 performs in different ways on different systems.

Its like buying a Ford and expecting Audi to fix your dodgy wipers.

The IMPORTANT thing here is

1. are there win 8 users using the software - Yes (LOTS)
2. is GHL offering active support on the forums to help those that are having issues - Yes
3. Is debating it here going to fix your connection issue - NO

Solution - Go to www.profiluxsupport.com post your issue and allow GHL to work with you to help you get connected with the cruddy old Win 8

But a very important end note I do want to thank everyone of you for your very kind support of the GHL Mitras and that you all have seen how amazing the product is in both light effect and quality. And I am sorry for those that have had issues with Win 8 and hope you do come to understand its not directly a GHL issue, but GHL will do what they can to help those out that have fallen on sword of Microsofts latest offering.

Thanks guys
Old 03-25-2013, 03:21 PM

Tank update pictures. As you can see the Monti colour is coming on fast!

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0.005
P04 = 00.00
Phosphorous = 0.036PPB
Ca = 420
ALK = 7.5
Mg = 1260
Salinity = 52.7
tank temp = 26.6c (80f)
Redox = 345 and climbing
pH = between 7.95 - 8.01 depending on time of day

Old 03-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakegr View Post
You said "would GHL get $50,000 of sales for this development"... I'm not in the retail industry so I did not know that meant profit.

I know GHL knows what it is doing - they make great computers - but that doesn't mean they are above critique and that every business decision they make is the right one. In my view, in order to stay competitive a business needs to invest in its product. Even if that investment does not immediately result in profit, it will keep their product competitive with others in the industry and at least sustain current profit levels.

I know you are not really part of GHL, so I'm not being critical of you at all.
This must of been a typo on my part as it costs $50,000+ not $50,000 of sales.

Manufacturers as a whole steer clear of Mac software due to the cost, the Mac user base within the reef industry user base simply is not there yet for the return. You would need well over 500,000 sales with all the profit going to just this one option for it to pay off. The expense issue is because of the massive complexity of the GHL software its not just a few inputs that have to be written.