Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-26-2013, 05:16 AM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

I still think the Sol is one of the best built LED fixtures out there. I think people are selling them to upgrade to newer, thinner, "full spectrum" fixtures. Used Sols are a decent deal at $250-300 used, but I wouldn't spend more than that given that you can get some pretty awesome brand new fixtures for $400 now.

I personally do not think "full spectrum" lights will have any noticeable growth benefit. There is a well established science behind using red lights to grow plants/algae more efficiently, but more efficiently does not mean faster. It just means it uses less power. I think the use of multi-color LEDs serves more to improve appearance of corals.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:37 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakegr View Post
I still think the Sol is one of the best built LED fixtures out there. I think people are selling them to upgrade to newer, thinner, "full spectrum" fixtures. Used Sols are a decent deal at $250-300 used, but I wouldn't spend more than that given that you can get some pretty awesome brand new fixtures for $400 now.

I personally do not think "full spectrum" lights will have any noticeable growth benefit. There is a well established science behind using red lights to grow plants/algae more efficiently, but more efficiently does not mean faster. It just means it uses less power. I think the use of multi-color LEDs serves more to improve appearance of corals.
Totally agree with you, I have 2 sols on my 90g and they work great for me so far. I have had no issues with original controller.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:57 AM

camaro7019 is on a distinguished road

was only selling mine cause i downgraded to a biocube, keeping 1 ai sol for the biocube tho love the ai sols! would never buy a different light