Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-12-2012, 03:45 PM

oyf709 is on a distinguished road

as I mention, whoever want to try it is welcome and I do offer $25 flat shipping to anywhere in Canada. And to be honest, I also have questions about the fixture and that is why I am only wanted one to try it. However, if I get enough fedd back on the fixture is not worth it at all base on the info they posted, will just forward these feed back to the company and ask them adjust watever the MSRP they are asking.

As far as for running at 100w, I am not sure what you mean by that, the total watts comes up to about 200w, and it is already running at 144w, would you mine to explain a bit more? Thank you so much
Old 10-12-2012, 04:09 PM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default led

i bought a unit thats 3' long using 72 3watt leds for $640 delivered.it has all the same bells and whistles of this unit except for the 1 watt leds,and all the leds are cree.if your ever out my way in burnaby your welcome to come see the unit
Old 10-12-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocus View Post
i bought a unit thats 3' long using 72 3watt leds for $640 delivered.it has all the same bells and whistles of this unit except for the 1 watt leds,and all the leds are cree.if your ever out my way in burnaby your welcome to come see the unit
ok, I replied it late and saw ur info Thanks!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:24 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyf709 View Post
As far as for running at 100w, I am not sure what you mean by that, the total watts comes up to about 200w, and it is already running at 144w, would you mine to explain a bit more? Thank you so much
The specs are right there on the sheet:

35W x 2 white
2.5W x 20 RB
2.5W x 4 B
1W x 6 V
1W x 3 Red
1W x 3 Green
1W x 2 Orange

= 144W total as also specified. The fact the LEDs can handle more power means nothing since the driver isn't there to back it up. Hence the fixture is 144W not 200W.

Next consider what's actually usable, 70W of white is useless with only 50W RB and 10W blue. Typical ratios for people like to use are 1:2 (white:blue/RB). So with 60W RB+B it's unlikely anyone will run whites more than 30W-40W power. That adds up to 100W max usable power. Didn't count 6W of violet cause that won't do ****, Reds, greens and orange is pure effect.

Looking at Vega it comes with something very close to the right ratio of white:blue and runs around 100W so pretty comparable except it's better in every way and cost less
That's all I was saying

Last edited by sphelps; 10-12-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
The specs are right there on the sheet:

35W x 2 white
2.5W x 20 RB
2.5W x 4 B
1W x 6 V
1W x 3 Red
1W x 3 Green
1W x 2 Orange

= 144W total as also specified. The fact the LEDs can handle more power means nothing since the driver isn't there to back it up. Hence the fixture is 144W not 200W.

Next consider what's actually usable, 70W of white is useless with only 50W RB and 10W blue. Typical ratios for people like to use are 1:2 (white:blue/RB). So with 60W RB+B it's unlikely anyone will run whites more than 30W-40W power. That adds up to 100W max usable power. Didn't count 6W of violet cause that won't do ****, Reds, greens and orange is pure effect.

Looking at Vega it comes with something very close to the right ratio of white:blue and runs around 100W so pretty comparable except it's better in every way and cost less
That's all I was saying
oh no don't get me wrong, I am not mad at ppl bashing at the light I am posting lol, that is actually what I want to hear. The reason is the company has set their mind to want ppl here in NA to match the cost in Europe and from waht I kno Italian selling LED fixtures 2x the rate in NA and they complaint about ppl from Italy to shop overseas.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:35 PM

I'm not bashing it, more so saying the pricing is out to lunch. Don't want people here to get suckered into what they may believe to be a good deal.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:00 PM

oh no I never said it is a good deal, some people willing to try it and that would be their rights, however, even if someone wanna try it and I see problem in this, I might end up declined this myself. Like I said, I never use this model and the company thinking to sell it like a brand name unit kinda make me feel it might not work out in this market at all. So I am more interest to hear the feed back if it is worth the cost and even the MSRP.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:08 PM

So it's not a good deal.... Why on earth would anyone want to try something that is obviously an overpriced knock off of name brand fixtures like AI, Ecotech, & GHL? It makes no sense, "yes I would like to pay more for less".

Last edited by sphelps; 10-12-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:28 PM

Ya i posted on the forum that they sponsored and listed AI and ecotech as reference. I have been getting some feedback alrdy. And once I have got enough will ask them to check out the forum. As for now, more feed back is welcome.