Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Q&A

Old 08-14-2012, 07:38 AM

waynemah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Don't be afraid to say your piece ...
You're not going to get banned for having a say
After all, us members are what drive this site ...

Sure, the sponsors pay for it, but we members are what keep the sponsors 'sponsoring' ( if that word isn't in Websters, it should be )

Just politely say what you want to say ....
Sure, why not...

I've spent hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars at most of the sponsors on this site. I'm sure other members are in the same boat. In exchange for supporting these vendors, it would be nice to have a clean worry free buy/sell page where I can sell off unwanted products/frags without having the worry of breaking rules and following confusing grey area regulations. As you said, it's us members who drive this site... It seems as though this concept was lost in the implementation. /rant

I would be happy if the rules were clearly displayed on the main page of the buy/sell section and use this functionality for a clearer understanding of what the person is trying to do with their post. Having a drop down for "For Sale", "Group Buy", "Want to buy" without a link to rules would be clean and useful.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 AM

Northernseacorals is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemah View Post
Sure, why not...

I've spent hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars at most of the sponsors on this site. I'm sure other members are in the same boat. In exchange for supporting these vendors, it would be nice to have a clean worry free buy/sell page where I can sell off unwanted products/frags without having the worry of breaking rules and following confusing grey area regulations. As you said, it's us members who drive this site... It seems as though this concept was lost in the implementation. /rant

I would be happy if the rules were clearly displayed on the main page of the buy/sell section and use this functionality for a clearer understanding of what the person is trying to do with their post. Having a drop down for "For Sale", "Group Buy", "Want to buy" without a link to rules would be clean and useful.
+ ∞
Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 PM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

It's overly wordy. I really don't need a EULA to reef keep. If there was just FS, FT, FF, LF, etc. That'd be perfect, otherwise I have to brush up on my legalese every time I post, which means I'll likely not bother.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:11 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKLKT View Post
It's overly wordy. I really don't need a EULA to reef keep. If there was just FS, FT, FF, LF, etc. That'd be perfect, otherwise I have to brush up on my legalese every time I post, which means I'll likely not bother.
I totally agree, I quit using it to sell because everything is mixed together. Also not being able to edit to keep your thread up to date or remove your thread after you sell is a PITA.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:37 PM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

It was a lot cleaner (and easier to buy AND list) when I could just strikethrough or update the first post with "sold". Instead, now I have to skim through a few pages of conversation/bumps on a listing with multiple items just to see if one of the pieces is still available. Before I could skip the listing entirely if the title was just updated to "SOLD". I definitely don't browse through much anymore, maybe that's the intention.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by clown lover View Post
Also not being able to edit to keep your thread up to date or remove your thread after you sell is a PITA.
Based on that, it was probably you that caused the edit to be removed We asked a billion times for people to not change or remove the posts, but you kept doing it. We would have left it if people just marked items sold, but stuff got removed, changed or deleted altogether. So, no more edit. On a positive note, most people have adapted to not editing.
But, we digress, this thread is about the prefix "feature"...carry on
Old 08-14-2012, 06:06 PM

lee9 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to lee9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKLKT View Post
+1. I think If they changed to the categories that MKLKT mentioned it would be better.

If the categories are going to be used they should be mandatory in the buy/sell forums. Then all the posts would be in a more standardized form and start with the appropriate prefix.

As others have mentioned as well I normally only view the New Posts listing unless I am specifically searching for something. I don't like how the category is never bolded on the new threads that I have not viewed.

Either way though... change happens and I'll get used to it
Old 08-14-2012, 08:51 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

+1 on limiting the prefix to FF/FS/LF/FT. The new format looks unnecessarily wordy and complicated. If it's difficult people won't use it and speaking for myself the buy/sell is a big reason I check canreef multiple times a day instead of once a day. If Buy/sell dries up, so does a big reason for me to check in which decreases the amount of viewing of sponsor ad's that happens.

I also want to rant a little on the new definition (I think it's new, but maybe I just noticed it) of a commercial vendor; specifically the line about not needing even needing a website or other real "commercial" presence to fall under that category. A lot of our most active and most helpful members could potentially be classified under this new definition, guys who maintain a frag tank to subsidize their own hobby. If we chase these guys away in order to appease the sponsors we lose a tremendous resource and the sites quality will suffer as a direct result. To me, this smacks of bullying by vendors threatening to pull their advertising dollars and is really unfortunate.

I do realize that sponsors pay the bills around here, but enthusiasts selling frags out of their basement frag tanks keeps the hobby affordable, sustainable and their assistance and goodwill (on a level that you rarely see sponsors provide) help the large number of new members that pass through here every day keep from feeling overwhelmed by this intimidating hobby. If we lose that, your advertisers will have no one to bully but they will also have a drastically reduced audience to market their wares to. Once the advertisers see that site traffic is down, they will start questioning if advertising (sponsoring) on canreef is a worthwhile investment or money down the drain. Members are the reason Canreef gets sponsors who pay the bills. End of rant
Old 08-14-2012, 09:20 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Most of my concerns have been voiced by the general canreef populace, the only thing that I can add is I have no problem paying a membership fee (Something similar to RC) if this would help circumvent high vendor fees.

By all means this wouldn't be a "pay or get lost" thing, just give general members the option to "support" canreef. Paying members could get a little avatar indicating they have personally contributed.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

I would contribute reguarily , for people like me how is sponsorship possible where I don't own a business and my revenue from frags is small, I'm not someone who posts only when frags are for sale I post answers, I visit houses, give people tester frags free and offer any service I can....I rarely charge for anything just frags I swallow all other costs and time......its kinda sad that I have to be careful not to make sponsors mad when people like me put in the real blood and tears.
...I bet I can name 50 people I've helped one way or another free of charge since Christmas
....and when its time to sell some frags I'm stepping on eggshells

Not trying to start a revolt just stating what's obviously fact