Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-13-2012, 03:45 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Every winter I go on at least two, one week backcountry ski trips. An email won't help me out there since the only communications at most remote lodges is satellite phone, although some of them do have internet access. Either way, I still need someone to look in on the tank when I'm away for that long, preferably daily. A few years ago, before my daughter moved back to town, my parents would drive up from Okanagan Falls & stay at my house for most of the week. They are not in the hobby so I left a good set of written instructions & tried to explain as much as possible whenever they visited. On one trip my ATO messed up (overfilled tank) but it happened around the last couple days I was away. Dad got hold of me before it overflowed the display & I simply had him disconnect the feed tube. No harm done, close call though.

Last couple years my daughter has been able to look in on the system every day when I'm away. Being young & tech savvy, there aren't too many issues that she can't solve or find the answer to without having to get hold of me. When I get back from my week(s), the tank usually needs a good cleaning, epecially the glass, but that's taken care of fairly quickly.

Since you've been running freshwater for years & undoubtedly have seen Grizz's setup, you should have a better idea of what you're getting into than a total aquarium newb. Once a system is set up & running for 6 months to a year, you should have it dialed in pretty good & be able to leave for a few days without worrying too much. Depending on what you're planning to keep, it's going to take a while to get it set up anyhow. Provided you can have someone look in on the tank & contact you if necessary, I say do it.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:07 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Do you have someone to watch over your tank? Feed and do water top offs? I work a 21/21 day schedule. When I am gone for 21 days, the mother in law and my wife(separated) come and check on the fish and feed. A ATO for water top offs is all they gotta worry about, and empty skimmer. I do water changes when I am home. Well, I really havn't done them for months, now back into it. Depending on the corals you want, that depends on how much workload. Softies and Polyps are really low care where SPS would need constant water attention.

Not being home, with a reef tank can be done. I've been doing ot for 3 years now, and I'm far from being an expert or anything

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 05-14-2012, 04:00 AM

Doc_Polit is on a distinguished road

Usually when I am away, my wife will be home to watch over my tanks.

She is amazingly supportive and "hands-on" when it comes to my tanks.

I was planning to keep only softies, LPS and more "mellow" stock.

As well, I do plan to utilize an ATO, auto dosers where necessary and a controller. I want my specimens to thrive as opposed to survive.

Any other/more thoughts?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:12 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Then you should have no problems. Start with a FOWLR, maybe some Zoanthids for color. They are hearty. Then, once you get your routine down and see how much work your tank needs for bioloads etc, and water quality, then go for some SPS, LPS. Give the Mrs time to adapt too. They don't usually absorb the info like us reefaholics can and don't understand why they need to add this, or that. Mine was I just gotta feed them, right? magnesuim?? Isnt that for car wheels? Why do the fish need it, they don't drive. AlkaliniWHO?? Don't they have a 7 step program for that?

Umm, a tank or 5