Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-11-2012, 09:28 AM

Chase31 is on a distinguished road

So the levels were looking good, and do to other reasons I haven't been able to do a waterchange since my last test of almost 0 ammonia, and my skimmers still not skimming I have my dual BRS reactor running carbon then GFO and supplying the skimmer chamber with water. And still no skimmate, is my ammonia to high maybe? I'm going to test it tommrow. Or do I have something else messing with my surface tention?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:32 AM

So this tank is a long time in the making, due to taking on a new job I have been really busy and on the road a lot. Now that I think I have time to get back into it. First I have a few questions that will help me in making this work better.

Okay so here's the deal I had live rock in an old tank circulating. I moved it into this new one and the fish died. I moved to a new place, filled it up with fresh salt water then put the rocks in and its been circulating with no skimmer for 3-4 months now. From what I can tell all the rock is dead, and I haven't checked for ammonia yet, I will do a test tommrow. But what is the best way to tell if I have live or dead rock?
Old 06-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Add some light to the rock, if it grows algae, pods should emerge, sponges will grow and that means the rock is live, if nothing grows on it then it's dead, if that's the case, add some live rock to re seed it!

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 04-17-2013, 02:08 AM

Default Back from the dead

I am Res-erecting This tank, after thinking I would be able to get it back up several times and not being able to this is the time, I have been busy setting everything up. I soaked all the rock in water for about a month now I have added salt water and added Prodibio Start-up and Bioptum and biodigest, starting my bi-weekly regamine. after 3 days i tested my ammonia not caring about the other levels, only getting a 0.1-0.3. I am currently in a calgary hotel room (so sorry no pictures) untill friday afternoon when I will do more tests to see if i get more of an ammonia spike. Will post an update friday night and hopefully ill be able to add a small amount of livestock over the weekend.
Any suggestions on some harty fish that are going to be reef safe or some corals to start to create a bio load?
Old 04-17-2013, 02:43 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase31 View Post
Any suggestions on some harty fish that are going to be reef safe or some corals to start to create a bio load?
Go get a shrimp, get a whole ring if you like to eat them. Then sit in front of your tank and eat some of those delicious shrimp for yourself. Then add two shrimp to your tank and walk away.

Don't use fish to cycle your tank. From an economic perspective its a needless expense and a mouth to feed. From a humane view its cruel and unnecessary. And finally, from a housekeeping point of view; most of the fish suggested to you will probably grow into a mean territorial SOB who kills off some prized recent additions because it's cheap aggressive fish that really has no place in your system, but you wanted to cycle with a fish so...

Or if you're partial to beer, drink, digest, "replace some evap." and walk away. Yes, this is a real thing.

Either way, good luck with your re-start.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 AM

A large portion of the rock was live before i gave up for so long. i tested the water before adding prodibio and i had some ware around .5 ammonia and the prodiio brought it down to 0.1-0.3. ill be more sure when i get home on friday, i dont want to torture any fish or waste any money.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
Go get a shrimp, get a whole ring if you like to eat them. Then sit in front of your tank and eat some of those delicious shrimp for yourself. Then add two shrimp to your tank and walk away.

Don't use fish to cycle your tank. From an economic perspective its a needless expense and a mouth to feed. From a humane view its cruel and unnecessary. And finally, from a housekeeping point of view; most of the fish suggested to you will probably grow into a mean territorial SOB who kills off some prized recent additions because it's cheap aggressive fish that really has no place in your system, but you wanted to cycle with a fish so...

Or if you're partial to beer, drink, digest, "replace some evap." and walk away. Yes, this is a real thing.

Either way, good luck with your re-start.
I realize this is a real thing Im not planning to cycle the tank with fish im planning to bring my bioload up very very slowly with my base of bacteria from prodibio. and bioptum
Old 04-20-2013, 01:45 AM

I have have heard of people doing this, does it work?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 PM

Bump on that last question
Old 04-22-2013, 05:36 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

what using no fish to cycle