Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 08-26-2011, 05:27 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraev View Post

My question still is about risk of fire. I mean I live in an apartment building and I am a student. I don't have insurance and the lights will be running for at least 12-14h a day.
There is always a risk of fire with MH units (anything electronic for that matter), some more so than others. Apartment insurance is cheap, especially compared to having your wages garnished for the rest of your life for burning down an apartment building. As far as this fixture goes there hasn't been any fire complaints on the newer units from Aquatraders since they changed ballasts.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:54 AM

vraev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
I have 2 of the older style that don't have individual reflectors & the cooling fans are also external on top of the fixture. I have been running them for about 6 months now & only had an issues with the t5 ballasts, which they have changed for better one on the fixture you are looking at. I do know that the cooling fans in this one are a little stronger and the ballasts are better quality but in your case I would suggest not to put the ballast in the window because the sun light will heat them up even more then they already do. Mount them on a board and get a fan like this one to blow on them when there on. Also get a couple more of these type of fans to blow across the bottom of the fixture and top of the tanks to reduce the heat above the tank.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

Scroll down the page a bit to find the fan pic.
Thanks very much for that link. I grow specifically highland nepenthes and it would be useful to lower temps in the tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaundry View Post
I have several vivariums as I am trying my hand with dart frogs, t5's are usually more than enough, do you monitor the temps in the soil as well?? An under tank heater may solve that issue. As for mh light fixtures they will raise temps so as was stated previously a fan will have to be added,but this is a good thing as most vivariums require adequate circulation. I am not an expert on carniverous plants but my bromeliads ferns and tillandsia's do well....Yes I am aware that broms are sometimes considered carniverous. As for the light fixture itself I had no problems with mine and have bought from seller before. Oh and do you have screening on top of your tank? Depends on bulb type but you might over cook your plants if you arent careful as well...Misting system??
check out this link. http://www.vivariumforum.com/community/
I don't monitor soil temps, but I do monitor ambient temps. The hard thing is to have decent (70-75F day and 55-60F night). Does the light fixture raise temps too much? How high is it fixed above the tanks? Yes...I do have a misting system and it goes off 14 times in a day for 40 sec intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
There is always a risk of fire with MH units (anything electronic for that matter), some more so than others. Apartment insurance is cheap, especially compared to having your wages garnished for the rest of your life for burning down an apartment building. As far as this fixture goes there hasn't been any fire complaints on the newer units from Aquatraders since they changed ballasts.
Some people on other forums were suggesting 8 x T5. So double the current light levels. Would u guys think it is a good way to increase light levels in the tanks?

Old 08-29-2011, 05:57 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Have you looked into LED grow lights especially for plants, might be an option to look into. Less heat produced & less power consumed.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 08-30-2011, 04:09 AM

vraev is on a distinguished road

LEDs are no where strong enough yet for carnivorous plants. I have looked at many types of white LED, but they only seem to produce etiolated growth in CPs.