Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 06-28-2011, 04:37 AM

justincgdick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
yup this is true but.. you may not need extra LEDs at all, the coverage is going to be the same if you have the same degree of lense so coverage wise the amount of leds will remain the same. power wise.. you may not need all the power available to a cree. there are countless people who have there crees running at 700mA then they are only using about 60% of that.

so for a smaller tank under say 18" of depth, if steve's LEDs will give you the PAR you want on the bottom of the tank, why spend extra?

the only issue I am having now is for white I want nutral white not cool white, and I want to get ahold of a few TV LEDs to see the color mix befor I buy a lot. this presents a problem as Steve only has 7000K and 10000K whites and royal blue not the 5000K I want for white or the TV I want to test out instead of the RBs

Steve
This is true.

When most are dialing their LEDs back so much, up to 40% in some cases, I can't understand why the recommended number of LEDs isn't adjusted. If you need half the LEDs, fire some 60 or 40 degree optics on half the number of LEDs and raise the fixture a bit. Get your coverage, save money, keep the intensity and the best advantage, the change in par at different levels of the tank won't be as drastically different due to the inverse square relationship of the intensity to distance for the LED.