Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-30-2011, 01:35 AM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rus View Post
I will be very interested to see what you think of the lighting , and how it works out for you . I was looking at these as a possible option one day for me as well.

Everything looks well done so far . Great job.
Thanks Rus. To be completely honest, I am not 100% convinced these lights are going to work for me. I've done my homework though and I am about 99% sure they will be awesome. Either way, the lightning effects are cool.

I have a long journey ahead of me before my tank looks anything like yours. I'm having fun so far. BTW - I changed my mind about the Dispars. I going with Bartlett's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
That's a clever way to slide your light! I think I just sorted out how I'm going to allow my pendants to individually slide within my canopy thank-you =)
Hey Bret - Funny you should say that. I'm taking my ideas from your earlier builds. Once the build settles down, I'm going to be in the market for some linear actuators.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:03 AM

OscarMeyer is on a distinguished road

Brad tank looking awesome!

glad to see your gonna stick with the Illumina, i know your gonna end up loving it in the end!

I'm going to be tagging along!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:35 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Brad,
Tank is coming along nicely. Just through your thread and I am thinking of running a deep sand bed myself. I will be lifting my rock work as well, never thought of that before, good idea. You will have to keep us informed on your lighting route, like yourself, I am not completely confident on the LED fixtures. Alot are showing up on the market, and I have not seen a lot of tank have complete success....yet. There are a few on RC that are claiming to have great outcomes, so who knows, I am still a couple months off committing to one or the other, but I do have something in mind. At any rate, tank looks good.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:44 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

little late but awesome tank loving it, following on from here
Old 04-05-2011, 04:28 PM

So, today I learned a few things. For the first time I truely understand why many people don't like sand beds. I've just spent about 4+ hours cleaning mine and it was no fun at all.

Over the last couple of months, I have been constantly fighting with what I would describe as a massive bacterial bloom in my tank. At times it takes the form of long stringy things that hang off the rocks. It comes and goes in the water column but seems to have persisted as a film on the rocks and in the sand. I knew it was in the sand bed, but I figured it would break down over time and perhaps it would have, but after what I just cleaned out it might have taken years?!

I started noticing areas in the sand bed that looked like a thick crust that had shifted and broken apart. Kind of like snow when a crust forms on top and then water melts the bottom and it eventually cracks. I figured it was only in a few places and still hoped it would start breaking up on its own. Oh to be so naive.

Last night I decided to siphon out a section that was particularly bad and in the process discovered that the entire sand bed was encrusted about ¼” thick – held together by a bacterial sludge.

Many buckets and a few spills later I had siphoned off the top layer of the entire sand bed. Rinsed thoroughly in tap water, then ro/di, then saltwater and back in the tank. Mixed the clean sand with the old sand and tried to stir up the areas where I wasn’t able to siphon. The tank went white with floating bacteria that I hadn’t been able to get at. Wow.

The other thing I learned, or rather concluded is that it’s probably not a good idea to run biopellets right from the get go. It just complicates things too much and it takes a long time for the bacteria to find their balance. There’s likely some competition between the biopellet bacteria and the live rock bacteria and that isn’t really a good thing. Also because there isn’t much to skim out of the tank, the skimmer is having a hard time processing all of the bacteria and skimming super wet. I keep thinking that I’m winning the battle and then realize that I’m not even close.

- Brad
Old 04-05-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarMeyer View Post
Brad tank looking awesome!

glad to see your gonna stick with the Illumina, i know your gonna end up loving it in the end!

I'm going to be tagging along!
Hey Todd - Thanks for the note. I'm really encouraged by your success with these lights. Your pictures are amazing. It's way too early for me to really have much of an opinion as my tank is doing all kinds of strange things. As you know, I'm not completely convinced that this light is going to do what I want it too, but I am in the camp that believes in LED technology and I am cautiously optimistic. No question that the Illumina is an engineering marvel. If it works it will change the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
Brad,
Tank is coming along nicely. Just through your thread and I am thinking of running a deep sand bed myself. I will be lifting my rock work as well, never thought of that before, good idea. You will have to keep us informed on your lighting route, like yourself, I am not completely confident on the LED fixtures. Alot are showing up on the market, and I have not seen a lot of tank have complete success....yet. There are a few on RC that are claiming to have great outcomes, so who knows, I am still a couple months off committing to one or the other, but I do have something in mind. At any rate, tank looks good.
Hi Bob - I had good success with my DSB in my 90G tank. I've had less success with my Shallow Sand Bed in my new tank. I think the trick is to get it heavily populated with sand sifting critters; although this is somewhat easier said than done. As far as lifting the rock goes, that has worked really well for me. If you haven't seen how I did this on my 90G tank, there's some pictures here.

I really want the LED lighting to be a winner. I will keep you updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
little late but awesome tank loving it, following on from here
Thanks Denny - I really like the video you posted of the glass cutting. I was surprised by the low salinity of seawater where you are.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to hear about the hassles. I love the look of my sandbed but yeah it can be a hassle at the same time. I'd get a sand-sifting fish to help you out. My sand was also forming solid layers (but fused with what may have been cyano) which quickly disappeared with my goby always sifting.

Interesting idea about the pellets too. Maybe you should suspend their operation until the tank has a decent bioload. Your skimmer definitely looked severely under-worked when I saw it.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 PM

Kalifornia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Kalifornia

Beautiful absolutly prefect

May ask what was the cost of the stand as I am planning a 180 DD build inwall and just want to get an idea of the cost to go to a steel stand such as yours

Thanks

Looking forward to the progress
Old 04-05-2011, 11:15 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

All throughout the planning stages on my current tank I was convinced I would stay BB for it. I've run smaller tanks BB and it was always amazing to me how much vaccuuming was required every week to keep them BB. Sandbeds hide this aspect which is both good and bad: it may look good but what lurks beneath?

In the end I chickened out and put sand in at the last minute. Two reasons, actually maybe three: 1) The rockwork that I built for myself has various supporting structures (combo of of acrylic and PVC on different pieces of it) and sand does a nice job of hiding that - otherwise I would have had to use rubble and I'm not a huge fan of rubble piles. 2) The silicone on the bottom edges is supremely thick and it was distracting to look at so sand hides that. And then 3) I have some fish that prefer to bury in sand at night and I thought it would be a kinder thing to offer them that.

I have to say that I still prefer the look of a shallow sand bed even with all the aggravation it causes. Sand storms, bacterial clumping etc.etc. I have a cleanup crew including sand dollars, conchs and nassarius and for the most part they keep up. I also put some moon snails in there but in hindsight this was a questionable move. They do an *incredible* job of turning sand over, but they are predatory. Nice newby level mistake on my part: buy first, research later. Oops. It's too bad, they are really neat snails. Look exactly like the apple sized moon snails you can find on on the BC coast but at 1" in size (and pure white in colour).

So I like the look, but I TOTALLY understand why some choose not to.

Last edited by Delphinus; 04-05-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Thought I'd toss this out there:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22732

Tags
custom tank, deep dimension, high end, redundant, reef