Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 01-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

You can't forget Maxspect or Ecoxotic among your manufacturers. There are also a ton more that hopefully can be added as they show up.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:19 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

ReefTech LED updated their website with more information including Specs for their Prometheus light modules.

http://www.reeftechled.com/?page_id=64

I am seriously considering this light option. I'll probably bring in one or two for evaluation before making a final commitment, but the specs seem very impressive.

I would be really interested in whether anyone has heard about these lights or your overall impression of the specs/design.

- Brad
Old 01-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Nano Bubble Lover

soapy is on a distinguished road

Yep I am thinking about these lights from Ecoxotic:

http://www.ecoxotic.com/products/mod...-pendants.html

http://www.ecoxotic.com/products/mod...-36-retro.html

The idea of no fans works for me. Plus it would be nice to hang those cannons a couple of feet above the tank for a really open look. Not crazy about the price though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
You can't forget Maxspect or Ecoxotic among your manufacturers. There are also a ton more that hopefully can be added as they show up.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:16 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

I looked at these ecoxotic 50watt pendants when I was in phoenix last spring, they give off a huge amount of light. They where mounted on a 36" deep tank and easily light up the bottom of the tank, I don't however know what kind of par reading these things have. Although the store owner of reef culture was more than willing to show me the par reading on the other tanks that they had in the store. Quite impressive for sure.
http://reefbuilders.com/2010/09/02/p...-led-lighting/
Old 01-26-2011, 09:15 PM

Reefbuilders has some more information about the ReefTech Prometheus lighting

"The Prometheus LED from ReefTech is a new lighting fixture which is a fresh departure from the rebadged LED lights which have been flooding the aquarium market. With some clear design and engineering inspiration from PacificSun LED Phobos/Deimos series, the ReefTech Prometheus LED features actively cooled Cree XPG LEDs driven at 3watts each, tricolor white, blue and royal blue LEDs, no standard secondary optics, onboard controller, active cooling and bluetooth and wifi connectivity which will be interoperable with an iPhone application when it launches." - Full Article Here
Old 01-28-2011, 02:10 PM

TheDogFather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcha0s View Post
Reefbuilders has some more information about the ReefTech Prometheus lighting

"The Prometheus LED from ReefTech is a new lighting fixture which is a fresh departure from the rebadged LED lights which have been flooding the aquarium market. With some clear design and engineering inspiration from PacificSun LED Phobos/Deimos series, the ReefTech Prometheus LED features actively cooled Cree XPG LEDs driven at 3watts each, tricolor white, blue and royal blue LEDs, no standard secondary optics, onboard controller, active cooling and bluetooth and wifi connectivity which will be interoperable with an iPhone application when it launches." - Full Article Here
I applaud more entrants into the Aquarium LED lighting business but I must say that I am not at all impressed by the Prometheus. Looks like ReefTech are trying to emulate the design principals of the Vertex Illumina (no optics PCB) and functionality (wireless, progressive dimming) but with poorly executed thermal management and an even worse exterior design this fixture leaves a lot of room for improvement IMO.

-TDF
Old 01-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDogFather View Post
I applaud more entrants into the Aquarium LED lighting business but I must say that I am not at all impressed by the Prometheus. Looks like ReefTech are trying to emulate the design principals of the Vertex Illumina (no optics PCB) and functionality (wireless, progressive dimming) but with poorly executed thermal management and an even worse exterior design this fixture leaves a lot of room for improvement IMO.

-TDF
Why would you say poorly executed thermal management?...I find most of the units out there with passive thermal management are more "poorly managed".

I don't find that the unit looks all that bad either. I do suspect that it will be far too pricey, just like it's Vertex counterpart.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Why would you say poorly executed thermal management?...I find most of the units out there with passive thermal management are more "poorly managed".

I don't find that the unit looks all that bad either. I do suspect that it will be far too pricey, just like it's Vertex counterpart.
Mark - $1099USD Retail. $99 for the WiFi Adapter. Multiple lights can be linked where only one WiFi adapter is required for the cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDogFather View Post

-TDF
Vertex isn’t the inspiration for these lights? – Pacific Sun is the inspiration for these lights and they have been lighting aquariums with LEDs for many years before Vertex introduced their lighting. I think if you really look at the Vertex illumina, you might find that there is more than one idea borrowed from Pacific Sun. The Pacific Sun lamps have been advocating the ‘no optic’ design for many years.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63818 – Some of the links are dead, but the thread predates the Illumina.

I’d have to agree that the Illumina is an exceptionally well engineered product, but why would others not try to emulate a great product?

With that said, I don’t think these lights have all that much in common. The Vertex lights are all about style while the ReefTech lights are more about PAR (or whatever measure of coral loving light you want to use). If you are looking for a fixture for your living room, than Vertex is probably the way to go, but the ReefTech lights may be a better option if your tank has a canopy or you are replacing a MH pendant. They are certainly more cost effective.

For my tank, the front to back depth is 3 feet. It’s hard to imagine how the Illumina could fully light the tank better than the ReefTech lights. Optics are not really an option as I could never get the spread that I need with them.

Anyway, as I have already pointed out, I have been talking with the owner of ReefTech. What I haven’t mentioned yet is that I have ordered one of these lights for evaluation. Interestingly enough, I also have access to a Vertex 260 fixture, so a side by side comparison might be fun. Let each product shine where it may .

I did get some information back from ReefTech in response to your questions. Rather than sugar coat it, I’ll just post what they said.

Quote:
1) Person who designed ReefTech also designed LED lamp that was wireless almost 18 months before Vertex.

2) Using Wifi or BlueTooth allows for range of capabilities that Vertex is limited to zgb radio – for example with WIFI you can control lights from anywhere where you have internet connection or iPhone.

3) Optics are optional – and you can install 40,60 or 80 degree

4) “poorly executed thermal management” – how can you say that when Vertex drives LED at 2.6W and cannot get the best out of XPG led chips while ReefTech is capable of driving at 3W? Have you noticed the size of thermapads that allow for better heat transfer? Also – the special air duct tunnel that doesn’t allow mixing hot and cold air?

5) Something that Vertex will follow – double layer MPCB boards that allow for better mix and match of LED chips – ReefTech already did that.
- Brad
Old 05-03-2011, 08:47 PM

southerner2 is on a distinguished road

One of the things that I don't understand about this whole LED thing is the fact that all of the manufacturers are using only a couple different types of diodes......

Orphek may be a smaller company but their only focus is on Coral health and propagation.

They are not rebadging CREE or Luxeon LEDs they are making and producing their own....

The whites are a true 15k. They don't need blue to give the apperance they are 15k plain and simple.

I think this comparison tank says a lot about the power and pop of their LEDs. We all keep dancing around products that are virtually the same no matter what box they are puit in. Sure there will be a little difference based on drivers and voltage settings....but very little.

http://orphek.com/index-8.php
Old 05-03-2011, 09:08 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerner2 View Post
....I think this comparison tank says a lot about the power and pop of their LEDs. We all keep dancing around products that are virtually the same no matter what box they are puit in. Sure there will be a little difference based on drivers and voltage settings....but very little.

So send me one of your PR156W's and I'll compaire it "side by side" with the other three LED fixtures I own...

Tags
cree, illumina, led, pacific sun, reeftech