Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

View Poll Results: What day of the week should we meet?
Monday 2 28.57%
Tuesday 4 57.14%
Wednesday 4 57.14%
Thursday 3 42.86%
Friday 2 28.57%
Saturday 4 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2010, 10:54 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

<polls don't show up in Tapatalk - I see it now>

I'd definitly like to participate, but it would be nice if someone put forward a proposed time and place?

- Brad

Last edited by abcha0s; 07-19-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:06 AM

bryceschutte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
I noticed the poll does not allow for Sunday? Is this for religous reasons? If so we should probably take Saturday out too!
It's my poll. I'll decide. Lol. If anyone is offended by having Saturday in the poll but not Sunday, pm me.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:30 AM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

I'm in Thorncliffe (NW) but I'll drive a bit to hang out with similarly deranged individuals.

I kinda like the idea of a standing day of the month and a specific meeting place. This makes it easy to plan for. Somewhere with beer would be good.

ok.....somewhere with beer is essential.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:27 PM

Gaffer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
I noticed the poll does not allow for Sunday? Is this for religous reasons? If so we should probably take Saturday out too!
I don't roll on Shobbos

Old 07-19-2010, 08:07 PM

I'd really like to see this happen. Here's my proposal.

On the first Wednesday of every month, we do a tank tour. One member steps up and agrees to an "open house" for other members to come and chat about his tank. Timing would be something like 7-9pm but would be at the descretion of the member hosting the invite.

Once every three months, on the second Saturday of the month, we have a frag swap. This is a slightly longer event, probably something like 1pm - 6pm but again is at the descretion of the member hosting the invite. The host can decide if beer is appropriate (BYOB) and whether he wants to offer hot dogs on the bbq or something like that.

I pick Saturday for three reasons:

1) Most people want Sunday for family time (whether relegious or just hanging out).
2) Having a frag meet during the evening seems a little problematic. I think more time is needed?
3) If we don't just pick a day, it will never happen.

Initially, we will not do the "tank tour" and the "frag meet" in the same month. Therefore, if there is a frag meet that month, it can be assumed the tank tour will not be taking place.

I would ask if there are any members in Calgary that would step up to own this initiative. Responsability would fall on them until such time as they find someone else to take over. I don't really want to do this.

However - if no one else wants to own this, then I will do it. If there is support, then I can make this happen. As a fall back, I can offer my house for the first tank tour or the first frag swap.

The organizer, whether me or someone else, would be responsible for arranging with another member each month for the appropriate event (and ensuring that an event takes place!).

At this point, I have a two very simple questions.

1) Yes or No.
2) Are there any volunteers to own this, or do you want me to do it?

- Brad
Old 07-19-2010, 08:08 PM

BTW - This no longer applies to the Calgary SE/SW - Anyone who is in driving distance of Calgary would be welcome.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 PM

I like it.

I have a suggestion though. While These are great ideas (tank tour, frag swap), might I suggest that these be in addition to a regular (once a month ?) meet at a restaurant or pub ?

Why ? Well, it means that no one has to own that task (or clean up after !). A reminder would go out on CanReef a few days to a week prior and people pipe-up as to whether they are going or not so you know you won't be there alone.

Then, tank tours and/or frag swaps can be added to the schedule when and where someone is willing to organize them. Personally, I think once a regular group starts meeting then willingness to organize/host tours and swaps will increase.

I'm trying to think of a suitable venue <scratches head>....thinking perhaps something just off Deerfoot; more or less central north-south wise; needs to have reasonable space available -preferably with movable tables to easily accomodate different group sizes- and has BEER !!! (mmmm.....beer.)

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:01 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post

I have a suggestion though. While These are great ideas (tank tour, frag swap), might I suggest that these be in addition to a regular (once a month ?) meet at a restaurant or pub ?
I was going to suggest this as well. The folks in Edmonton and Vancouver have monthly meets, I'm sure us reefers here in Calgary could come up with something that works. And yes, beer is always a good thing to have around.

Maybe we should start a new thread discussing this?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
Maybe we should start a new thread discussing this?
Errr.....aren't we discussing it now ?

Old 07-20-2010, 12:10 AM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

Yes, but the title of the thread is "Who is in the SE/SW". I just figured making a new thread with a title mentioning something about monthly reef meetings might work better. The first 40 some posts in this thread don't talk about a central meeting place, and I'm sure there may be others interested who aren't necessarily following this thread.