Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-22-2010, 08:17 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone :-) Taking pictures of fish is actually pretty hard. Those guys are fast!

So the N/P Bio Pellets have finally caught up with me! The mulm/slough finally clogged up the Two Little Fishes reactor. While I was cleaning the reactors sponges I decided that the sponges in the reactor were actually thicker than they really needed to be. Mod time!

So I took one sponge and cut it in half like so.

From one sponge you end up with two!

I wanted them to be a little thinner still so I shaved off another few millimeters.

After the operation I ended up with a very thin sponge, kind of like enkmat mesh.

I then reinstalled the sponge top and bottom of the reactor like before except the top sponge I decided to install in the opposite position from where you would have it normally.

Flow increase was dramatically increased and hopefully more mulm/slough will be able to escape over time.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:22 AM

Oh, I decided to install the rest of the N/P Bio Pellets this evening as well. I was debating whether or not to get another reactor or a bigger reactor. In the end I just serviced my 'fuge and overflow as reactors. I have a cluster of chaeto in my 'fuge now that hasn't really done anything (but maybe recede) over time. I finally figured out what that static ball of chaeto is good for!

I just dumped a couple of handfuls of NP BioPellets into the 'fuge and they fell into the chaeto net. Instant NP BioPellet Media Net.

I threw a couple of handfuls into my overflow box as well, just for variety sake.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:14 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

Beautiful picts. This is why i don't want to make my tank thread because I feel so bad looking at my tank after looking at your tank :-)

Thanks for keep updating your tank. How is the baby? you just amaze me how you can still manage to have time taking care of your beautiful tank with newborn. My babies are driving me crazy over here :-)

Cheers
Old 01-27-2010, 09:44 PM

Babies are easy. All they do is eat-sleep-poop-repeat. Wait until they turn 2! Now that's a handful. Although, he is turning into quite a reefer. Not only does he roll my salt buckets, feed fish and clean the glass, he now doses my coral snow into the sump for me.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Your pictures are incredible
Old 02-09-2010, 07:25 AM

Default N/P Bio Pellets: Part III

First of all, thanks Leah

Okay, so this evening marked the 4th (ish) week of the N/P Bio Pellets. To recap.. I have about 750ml of the pellets running in a Two Little Fishes 150 phosban reactor that is fed by a maxijet 900 daisy chained with another phosban reactor running carbon. I recently did a mod to the sponges to get more flow through the reactor and thus more tumble of the pellets. This has worked out quite well. I also have another 250ml of the pellets hanging out loosly in my refugium and my overflow box (just cuz I couldn't fit all the pellets in the reactor). At first I was a little worried about this but so far there have been not been any adverse effects.

Before I started using the pellets I used an American Marine Pinpoint meter to measure my nitrates and got a reading of 8ppm. Two weeks later I took another reading and got 4ppm. Now into my 4th(ish) week I took another reading and got 0ppm.

The meter reads "Lo" but according to the manual this means Zero. I wasn't sure I trusted that reading at first so I took two more readings. The second one also came up as zero while the third and final test came up with 1ppm.

So I'm going to call it zero since the probe has an accuracy of +/- 1ppm Once again, just like the week two test, I have not made any changes to my system. It has been static now for over four weeks in fact. I do not run any ULN systems like zeo or ultralith nor do I use any of their additives.

So there we have it. In my application of the N/P Bio pellets there is clearly a positive result and I am sold!! Needless to say I will be stockpiling these bad boys. I have always wanted to use this emoticon and feel it appropriate to do so now..

Alright.. carry on.

Last edited by kien; 02-09-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

There HAS to be some catch (besides the fact that I had to see that scary banana dancing)! I'll be using these on my new tank without a DOUBT.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:21 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

wow i am sold on this as well. Anyone want to group order?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 PM

fooser is on a distinguished road

Thanks for being the guinea pig Kien, I think I might give them a go as well if they really work, they may help out with my nitrates when i move everything for my upgrade. From what I have been reading, even when people move existing rocks and water, they still seem to have a little bit of new tank syndrome.
Your little experiment has helped out some of us!...or well.. at least me anyways :P
Old 02-09-2010, 06:34 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

It's not just Kien being the guinea pig

Umm, a tank or 5