Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the step-by-step I really like how you've secured the rocks to the acrylic base! Where do people get their acrylic from? I need a bit to make a filter foam tray to sit before my return pump...
Old 08-05-2009, 07:33 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Finally, in the last section I wanted to make a lagoon with low(ish) terraces that hovered over the sand. One criteria here is that I did not want the appearance of a heavy base rock supporting the terraces. Instead, I used a slab of tavertine as my anchor and drilled holes into it where I would insert very long and thick rods to support my terraces. If you've never seen or worked with tavertine, it is a very very dense and heavy rock! They use it to build buildings! I would then cover up the exposed acrylic with rubble epoxied to it. The tavertine is a tan colour that perfectly matches the sand bottom.

I guess now is a good a time as any to let the cat out of the bag. Way back in the beginning I had made a decision to go bare bottom. Well, after staring into my 150 for the past few weeks and then seeing the aquascaping come together I decided that I truly am not a bare bottom kind of guy. Sure it looks cool, but I think sand looks better, more complete and natural. The decision to put some sand on the bottom helped me to put all the pieces of my puzzle together. For example, I can now hide those acrylic panels that I glued my live rock too and I can partially burry the travertine slab so that it blends in with the sand.

Anyway, here's one of the terraces drilled.

And here they are built up.

Note: When dealing with live rock you have to work quickly. What I had on hand was a tub with heated salt water from the tank that I could use to dunk the rock into every now and again to keep them moist. Unfortunately this made for a very messy rock building session.

Last edited by kien; 08-05-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Thanks for the step-by-step I really like how you've secured the rocks to the acrylic base! Where do people get their acrylic from? I need a bit to make a filter foam tray to sit before my return pump...
I got my acrylic panels from Home Depot (sump panels), and Rona ( base panels for aquascaping). Same stuff and pretty much the same price. It's just that sometimes they are out of stock.

Acrylic plugs from Red Coral :-)

Acrylic rods from Industrial Plastics and Paint
Old 08-05-2009, 07:48 PM

Midknight is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Midknight Send a message via Yahoo to Midknight

Totally love the way your doing this. Gives me a lot of ideas also.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:03 PM

Default Out with the Old and in with the New.

It is probably safe to say that moving/changing tanks is the most hated task for any aquarium hobbyist. Typicaly you set out with some sort of a plan or process. You execute it and then somewhere along the way there are hiccups, some bumps, bruises, sweat, tears, perhaps a little blood, and a few colourful metaphors thrown in for good measure. I have moved tanks many many times now, and each time I made note of something I learned that worked well, or was an EPIC FAIL. This tank move went quite smoothly as a result. Here's how it went down.

1. First I mixed two 33 gallon tubs of salt water. I heated and circulated this water so that it was the exact same temperature as the Old tank. That's a totally of 66 gallons in tubs. There was another 25 gallons in my premix Brute tub in the basement on hand and a full 55g of RO/DI water just in case. You may have noticed this tubs in some of the build picture.
They're sitting next to the display tank.

2. After fishing out some of my live rock to build the Cave structure I then proceeded to pump out water from the Old tank into the New tank.

3. Once I had enough water in the display tank (probably about 5 inches of water), I put a heater into the New tank and made sure it was heated. I like to run 77 degrees F. I also put in a power head to circulate the water in the New tank.

4. With 5 inches of water in the new tank I had enough water to move some corals. Using a tupperware container large enough to hold a coral colony with some water I placed colonies one at a time into the container and transported them to the new tank, making sure that they were never exposed to air. I know that they are fine with air exposure but I figured the whatever I can do to minimize the the stress of the tank moving the better!

5. I repeated this process until I ran out of room and then proceeded to pump more water into the New Tank.

6. Once more rock was exposed in the Old tank I took them out and worked on them (aquascaping) for the new tank. (see previous posts on aquascaping).

7. I repeated steps 4-6 until everyone was moved from the Old tank to the New tank. By now the Old tank was empty and the new tank was half full of the Old tanks water. Slightly cloudy. No one was very happy but none the worse for wear. I did not do all the aquascaping as i went along. For example, the last arm of the Bonsai and the Lagoon rocks I just left sitting at the bottom of the tank to be worked on later (after all the water was filled).

8. At this point I proceeded to pump in water from the tubs of premixed salt into the New tank. Slowly. It was like a water changed to them. Although a very hefty 50% water change. The tank was a little cloudy but it cleared up pretty quick.

9. Once the water began to overflow into the sump I turned it on and away we went!

10. I then transferred the refugium from the Old sump into the refugium of the New sump. Mostly just sand, live rock rubble and a ball of chaeto that doesn't seem to want to grow very well for some reason.. mental note, need more chaeto.

The next day I put my old 48" light fixture on top of the canopy. I am still waiting for my new 72" light fixture to free itself from the evil clutches of Canadian Customs. I also cleaned and added a dusting of sand to the tank. The sand clouded things a big.

Well, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. I don't have any pics of the full tank yet because it looks really funny with the 48" light fixture. The new fixture should be here any day now..

In the meantime, here are some shots of the sump in action.

The skimmer skimming..

The 'fuge fuging..

and the sump sumping.

Last edited by kien; 08-05-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Again, some great ideas and excellent detail in your photography. Keep sharing those ideas with us!

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:08 PM

Two full days have passed now and everyone is doing great. Corals, SPS, LPS, zoos are all open, fish are swimming eating, exploring. Here's a crappy led moonlight night shot until I get a proper shot with the new lights in.

see how funny it looks with the old light fixture on it ? :-)

Last edited by kien; 08-05-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:25 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Damn! Love the aquascape! Tank looks awesome Kien!

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 08-05-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
Damn! Love the aquascape! Tank looks awesome Kien!
Thanks :-) And thanks again for the lagoon terrace pieces ;-) I didn't really want to cook them and I didn't really need them to be "live" so I sterilized them.. did you know that dead coraline fluoresces a brilliant red under actinics?? Looks cool
Old 08-05-2009, 08:44 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Haha! No problems, nice to be part of this build.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988