Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-30-2009, 02:22 AM

Navarchus is on a distinguished road

I think you should go with a couple of Tunze 6105 and the new 7096
I had them and I was very satisfied, I can’t tell the same on my couple of mp40 gen2, noisy and unreliable
Old 07-30-2009, 02:27 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

I don't understand when people say Vortechs are noisy?? I have one in my bedroom and I can never hear it...

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 07-30-2009, 03:46 AM

Navarchus is on a distinguished road

how long do ypu have it?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:57 AM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
I don't understand when people say Vortechs are noisy?? I have one in my bedroom and I can never hear it...
Not saying I don't like them, but I can definitely hear them. What mode do you have yours on? I have one on Reef Crest and one on Lagoon and I can sure hear them ramp up. I have also run into the reliability issue recently...
Old 07-30-2009, 11:30 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
Not saying I don't like them, but I can definitely hear them. What mode do you have yours on? I have one on Reef Crest and one on Lagoon and I can sure hear them ramp up. I have also run into the reliability issue recently...
I run reef crest at 100%. But only an mp20

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 07-30-2009, 03:16 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
I run reef crest at 100%. But only an mp20
I guess I will try one first and see if the noise bothers me. If not then I'll get a second. If so then I'll get a Koralia 6 or something equally powerful and ugly.

By the way, thanks for the K4! It is currently circulating my second 33g tub of saltwater that I'm prepping for the tank :-) Oh, and I'm still interested in those flat pieces so give me a quote :-)
Old 07-31-2009, 05:18 AM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road

So Kien do you have live rock in that sucker now? Is it cycling? Done any aquascaping? I'm planning on filling this weekend and if somehow I have no problems then ordering some live rock from tampabaysaltwater (hoping they ship to canada), you want to do a group order? Not sure if its cheaper or not but Im thinking of ordering maybe 30 lbs or so.

Then once I get it Im gonna lay it out pretty far apart to try to determine if I have any critters I need to dispose of before I add my livestock.

I see you're asking Carmen for stars too, when do you think its safe to put them in the tank? I guess after the cycle or are they hardy enough to go in with the live rock?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:41 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11 View Post
So Kien do you have live rock in that sucker now? Is it cycling? Done any aquascaping? I'm planning on filling this weekend and if somehow I have no problems then ordering some live rock from tampabaysaltwater (hoping they ship to canada), you want to do a group order? Not sure if its cheaper or not but Im thinking of ordering maybe 30 lbs or so.

Then once I get it Im gonna lay it out pretty far apart to try to determine if I have any critters I need to dispose of before I add my livestock.

I see you're asking Carmen for stars too, when do you think its safe to put them in the tank? I guess after the cycle or are they hardy enough to go in with the live rock?
Nothing in the new tank yet, but soon :-) I am targeting Sunday to move everything over from the 90 gallon to the 150. I think I have enough live rock for the new tank. The 90 was packed with rock and I want the 150 to look a little more open so I think I have just the right amount of rock for that.

I would consider the stars a part of your initial cleanup crew which you would put in after your tank has cycled. I'm hoping for little to no cycling since I'm just dumping everybody and everything from the 90 to the 150 and then topping it up with saltwater that I have premixed in tubs, sitting in my living room :-) If all goes well, everyone will just think it was a major water change and they magically have more room to swim. I will attempt to aquascape during the transfer, or the following day.

I got a message from Kevin with the tracking number for my new light fixture. According to FedEx it left Great Falls Montana a couple of days ago and should be here any day now! I wasn't expecting it so soon so this evening I scrambled to finish my canopy. The light fixture will sit on top of the canopy which will be 6 inches high.

I also redid a part of my return line. I got rid of the section with the metal clamps and made a new one with a couple of unions added.

Before.. and After..

Here it is hooked up and ready to go.

For flow I was thinking of getting a couple of Vortech MP40s but now I am leaning towards a couple of Tunze 6105s. I've read enough reports about the Vortech being noisy now so I am hesitant. Also, I have a Profilux on order which can control the Tunzes so I don't have to buy a separate Tunze pump controller. Well, that's all for now. Sunday will be exciting, or traumatizing..
Old 07-31-2009, 06:56 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road
Default Go

very nice build
________

Last edited by christyf5; 06-28-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:20 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road
Default Go

update some picts pls
________

Last edited by christyf5; 06-28-2012 at 03:51 PM.